Kawasaki World banner

What oil filter do you use?

10K views 60 replies 15 participants last post by  lie2me 
Crotch,

I've got the Scotts filter on my bike and just put over 1000 miles on it. Have changed the oil three times now. Once when I put the filter on, once after 800 miles with PCIIIr and yesterday after dyno mapping run. Filter is working flawlessly and given that it is also high flow should help engine run a little smoother and cooler.

I have examined the debris it catches and inspect the filter itself and clean it, then it's like new again. I think keeping fresh oil in this engine is a worthwhile investment and can get rather costly so I buy my oil in bulk (8 gallons at a time) and I use the Scotts filter. I change it every 1000 miles.

I will probably change oil twice more before summer is over and thus the filter will have half paid for itself in less than a year. It's da bomb!

"I'm the guy your Suzuki dealer warned you about!"</p>

For me it wasn't a matter of just saving money. It was a matter of doing what I felt was best for my bike and conveniance as well. The Scotts has smaller openings in the screen but more filter surface area. It filters out smaller particles yet still flows faster. That's gotta keep the enigne running a little smoother and cooler and certainly cleaner. Just my .02. To each his own.

But all 12s rule!

I honestly can't say it has made a difference in the trany but then again it's notchy as hell all the time. Kawis are known for that. My rear set helped more than anything to smooth out the shifts (more adjustable).

I change my oil every 1000 miles religously or whenever I can't clearly see through the oil in the inspection glass and see the finger-like metal pins/projections on the bottom half of the glass port. This engines revs so fast and often holds high revs for extended periods so I prefer to keep the oil as clean and pure as possible. This is also why I chose K&N air filters as well. Any hp gain is just gravy on top.

By the way, the Scotts also has a blow out valve just like the OEM filter. I made sure to ask before I bought one.

You guys should check out the latest issue of SportRider mag like Harpoone said. They talk about the Scotts filter. I also visited three sites prior to purchasing the Scotts. K&N isn't available yet and they don't mention the filter/flow capacity of their oil filters. (I do like their air filters on my 12 though) Amsoil filters are actually made by Hastings. They offer good filtration as well but the flow is inferrior to the Scotts. The Scotts was the only one I found that offered both high flow and high quality filtration in the same filter. It just happens to be reusable to boot. Good thing, I wouldn't pay that kinda dough for a one timer. Did you notice the high end Scotts filters are more expensive than for smaller bikes? More screen equals more surface area equals more flow equals cooler engine equals more hp and also more $$$ for filter.

I bit the bullet and ordered from Scotts. $110. However I got my damper from Cyclemall.net at a big savings. Don't know if they have the filters yet. Call and ask for Gene and tell him I gave you his name. He's a good guy to work with and will do the legwork for you and pull some strings if need be.

The filter is the real deal. You won't be sorry. First time you change your oil you'll see what I mean.

I don't know about the Fram data being 95% or the 20 micron rating. My family owns an auto parts store and Fram is just your basic filter. I can get any filter I choose and I chose the Scotts. I ran it by some of the racing geeks my dad sponsors and a couple of them liked it, 1 is using another type of stainless filter in his race car. Also if you look at the Amsoil site (much higher grade than Fram) it rates Fram at the bottom around 91% filtration. Paper filters are very inconsistent just by the nature of their filter media. If the Scott's were lesser grade than the paper they would never survive on the motorcross circuit either and that's their biggest draw. Again, just my .02

Think I'll talk to the guys at Scotts today as well. I find it curious that the other manufacturer's claim great filtration but then they use phrases like "single pass" and "first pass". Well that's great but the oil goes through more than once. Definitely worth some investigating.

I had my brother (works for my Dad) call from the shop and speak with the Bendix (Fram) rep and I spoke with the Scotts rep. Got the scoop onthe filters once and for all and here it is:

The paper/glass media is at best inconsistent. Some sections of filter may siphon as low as 9 microns while others areas of same filter may go as high as 300 microns. One OEM filter (Honda) tested at over 300 microns in certain areas of the filter material. Like I said (check previous post) paper filter media is at best inconsistent and varies with temp, oil viscosity, etc. The ss screen filters "absolute" 35 microns uniformly and is unaffected by heat exceeding 600 degrees Fahrenheit. It is higher flow and thereby reduces oil pump resistance which in turns offers up an additional hp or two. Scotts has shown this on a dyno. Nascar teams all use ss screen as do NHRA dragster/funny cars, drag boats...you know engines that put out around 3000 hp and propel the vehicles to 300+mph quarter mile speeds.

I extended an invitation to each rep to reply on this thread so we'll see who shows up and puts their money where their mouth is.

Okay, I did my good deed for the day.

</p>

There are several other ss oil filters out there but none that I know of for motorcycles. The Scotts alsohas a magnet in it to catch those little metal shvings, etc. Hope I never see any on mine. Also the guys at Scotts were cool enough to fax me a press release from the maker of the screen material and under the Magnus-Moss ruling (1982) a manufacturer cannot insist on a specific brand of filter for warranty purposes unless they provide you THAT filter free of charge. If the dealer tries that one, just ask to see it in writing, and then ask for you filter. Won't happen!

</p>

You actually are taking a bigger chance by installing a PC than aftermarket oil filter. You can tear an engine up a lot quicker by changing a/f mixture and playning with timing incorrectly.

Slopoke-we're just gonna have to call you "paper or plastic" because you are definitel a "stock boy!"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.