Kawasaki World banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts
Grinding shims is a major no-no. The grinding marks can cause the shim to shatter at rpm, if that happens you get to find out how much a new top end costs. The guy that does that is not only _really_ cheap, he's not too smart, either....

"You must be fast, 'cause I was haulin' ass when I passed you."</p>

OEM for me for all reasons stated, plus if the engine ever fails, you have an easier time proving maufacturer defect.

Zexxer
'00 Red
South Florida</p>

Sounds good, looks good, lets see how the pricing is.

I'm just a little uneasy about the "meets" or exceeds blurb. I'd like to see "exceeds" only.

But, we'll see. Till then, 1070's for me.

You guys should check out the latest issue of SportRider mag like Harpoone said. They talk about the Scotts filter. I also visited three sites prior to purchasing the Scotts. K&N isn't available yet and they don't mention the filter/flow capacity of their oil filters. (I do like their air filters on my 12 though) Amsoil filters are actually made by Hastings. They offer good filtration as well but the flow is inferrior to the Scotts. The Scotts was the only one I found that offered both high flow and high quality filtration in the same filter. It just happens to be reusable to boot. Good thing, I wouldn't pay that kinda dough for a one timer. Did you notice the high end Scotts filters are more expensive than for smaller bikes? More screen equals more surface area equals more flow equals cooler engine equals more hp and also more $$$ for filter.

"I'm the guy your Suzuki dealer warned you about!"</p>

The P'later filter is readily available and costs half the OEM. I'll happily pay the $12.95 (local pricing) if a clear advantage is proven. It's not the money fellows, it's the feeling of getting butt-f**ked by the parts man I cannot tolerate. For the record, I buy Mobil 1 instead of the $8.00 a quart specific oil too. I'm willing to bet anyone on this board that my exhaust bearings are in just as good a shape as those on a bike running the OEM filters and motorcycle-specific oil too!

</p>

Sounds like the Scotts the best filter in the short and long run. Where's the best (read price) place to buy????

</p>

I bit the bullet and ordered from Scotts. $110. However I got my damper from Cyclemall.net at a big savings. Don't know if they have the filters yet. Call and ask for Gene and tell him I gave you his name. He's a good guy to work with and will do the legwork for you and pull some strings if need be.

The filter is the real deal. You won't be sorry. First time you change your oil you'll see what I mean.

I don't know about this Scotts filter. Their info says that the mesh size is 35 microns. For reference, a Fram filter has a 98%, single pass rating for particles 10-20 microns. I also read somewhere else that half of the particles in your oil are under 10 microns. 35 seems kinda big. Logic says that you can only put so much surface area (pleats) in the space the oil filter consumes. In order to flow more, you need a bigger screen.

</p>

I don't know about the Fram data being 95% or the 20 micron rating. My family owns an auto parts store and Fram is just your basic filter. I can get any filter I choose and I chose the Scotts. I ran it by some of the racing geeks my dad sponsors and a couple of them liked it, 1 is using another type of stainless filter in his race car. Also if you look at the Amsoil site (much higher grade than Fram) it rates Fram at the bottom around 91% filtration. Paper filters are very inconsistent just by the nature of their filter media. If the Scott's were lesser grade than the paper they would never survive on the motorcross circuit either and that's their biggest draw. Again, just my .02

Ya know, the more I look into the Scotts filter, the more I like it.

I think after I use up the 3 1070's I bought, I may buy a Scotts. I think the 12 is the bike that's gonna break my "buy a new one (bike) every 2 years" syndrome. I like the bike so much, that I really can't see trading it in a year from now....Oh yeah, thats what I said about my 98 zx11.

Ahhh shit. Well, lets just say that the '02 12 isn't enough to make me even remotely think about trading my '00 in, we'll see what '03 brings....

Think I'll talk to the guys at Scotts today as well. I find it curious that the other manufacturer's claim great filtration but then they use phrases like "single pass" and "first pass". Well that's great but the oil goes through more than once. Definitely worth some investigating.

I had my brother (works for my Dad) call from the shop and speak with the Bendix (Fram) rep and I spoke with the Scotts rep. Got the scoop onthe filters once and for all and here it is:

The paper/glass media is at best inconsistent. Some sections of filter may siphon as low as 9 microns while others areas of same filter may go as high as 300 microns. One OEM filter (Honda) tested at over 300 microns in certain areas of the filter material. Like I said (check previous post) paper filter media is at best inconsistent and varies with temp, oil viscosity, etc. The ss screen filters "absolute" 35 microns uniformly and is unaffected by heat exceeding 600 degrees Fahrenheit. It is higher flow and thereby reduces oil pump resistance which in turns offers up an additional hp or two. Scotts has shown this on a dyno. Nascar teams all use ss screen as do NHRA dragster/funny cars, drag boats...you know engines that put out around 3000 hp and propel the vehicles to 300+mph quarter mile speeds.

I extended an invitation to each rep to reply on this thread so we'll see who shows up and puts their money where their mouth is.

Okay, I did my good deed for the day.

</p>

Speed...Good looking out!!! I am definately going to have to test a SS filter out!!!

By the way, what oil are you using???

CrotchRocket

" I just live my life a 1/4 mile at a time "</p>

There is also another filter called a "MAGNOM" is screws where your standard filter fits onto the engine, then you screw the filter onto the Magnom. It is basically a magnet that attracts the very fine particles without interrupting the oil flow. You remove it every oil change and clean it and refit, then fit on a new standard filter. They cost about £50.00 I think I will go for that as extra security. I'll let you know how it does.

Regards

Ted

</p>

There are several other ss oil filters out there but none that I know of for motorcycles. The Scotts alsohas a magnet in it to catch those little metal shvings, etc. Hope I never see any on mine. Also the guys at Scotts were cool enough to fax me a press release from the maker of the screen material and under the Magnus-Moss ruling (1982) a manufacturer cannot insist on a specific brand of filter for warranty purposes unless they provide you THAT filter free of charge. If the dealer tries that one, just ask to see it in writing, and then ask for you filter. Won't happen!

</p>

21 - 40 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.