Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have only done 6,000km on my beast...still running fortified (or whatever it's called)...just wondering, when should i go to fully synthetic oil?

also, the guy at the shop said that fully synthetic allows me to rev harder or something - is this true?

·
4,208 Posts
The general norm is after your 1,000 mile service .....your fine to switch now.........rev harder hmmm dunno about that but definitely less windage...

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok - but what do you mean by "less windage"?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
if you're hard on the clutch... some have said the full syn is tooooo slippery.. others love it!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh ok...i'm not hard on the clutch...just hard on the throttle :D

:lol:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Epstein, what 'general norm'? FYI it is unwise to fill her up with full synthetic oil that soon. It will never break in properly with full synthetic since the oil is jus 'too good'. Make some 10K miles first, then switch to full synthetic, maybe even 15K... You won't break the engine but could end up with high oil usage if you switch too soon...

Just my two cents...

Regards, Dutch.

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
I liked the shift it improved my notchy shifting..... I run MX4T Mobil 1...

·
Registered
25 Posts
zx12richard: The synthetic oil can improve the shifting indeed. I had the same experience with my previous bike. I like the gearbox of the 02 though... I'm still on semi-synthetic oil and shifting is silky smooth.
Dunno if the 02 gearbox is any different?

Eventually I will put the same mobil1 oil in mine, but first I have to put a lot more miles on the clock...

Regards, Dutch.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
I'm pretty sure. No scratch that, positive....

Ummmm, I don't think so Dutch. Where did you get that info? Or are you just kidding around? :mrgreen:

G

·
0 Posts
I switched at the 600 mile service and now have 6600 miles and use no oil between 3000 mile oil changes. I also have over 100 1/4 mile passes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Good for you... I didn't say one always would end up using oil, I just said it can happen. I worked as a fully certified mechanic, and one of the things they taught at school was not to switch too early.

Besides the semi-synthetic is good enough already these days.
But as said I will go to synthetic myself, but not yet...

There always has been a debate about what oil to use and when, so I wonder what Kawi would advice these days? Could see if I can drop them a mail about this sometimes.

Regards, Dutch.

·
4,208 Posts
I am sure you are joking Dutch ..........1,000 miles is plenty for the motor to properly break in and everything to seat properly ....there should be no consumption whatsoever....every vehicle I have ever owned has made the switch at 1,000 miles .......and not a drop has ever been burned.......Don't believe me ...wanna see my 94 ford explorer with 90,000 miles on the clock?? its gotten nothing but syntec as soon as i broke it in. and has never burned a drop ....as well as several other vehicles and m/c's I have owned.....Now as for windage....Windage is when the oil bath begins to foam up ...this is usually due to abuse and cheap/improper oil and more importantly ....and should be noted for us 12 owners ....Overfilling!!!...the motor is being robbed of hp. due to the excess oil present .......Drag racers in teh automotive field use what are called as windage trays to prevent this from happening

·
4,208 Posts
http://www.synlubes.com/about/faqs.html#4 We prefer to wait at least 1,500 miles before switching over a new engine to synthetic lubricants. The seating of rings and wear in of other engine parts usually occurs within the first 500 miles and should definitely have been accomplished by 1,500 miles on today's new engines. Under 1,500 miles you should follow the manufacturer's recommendation for drain intervals and break procedures. Furthermore, waiting to at least 1,500 miles gives you the opportunity to assess the mechanical soundness of the engine and the opportunity to report any unusual conditions that may indicate a latent mechanical defect in your new engine. If there is any question about the mechanical soundness of your new engine do not install any synthetic lubricants.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm not joking... Break-in as far as everything like bearings etc that will be seated okay is correct. But the oil usage comes from the honing pattern in the cylinders that will not 'wear' properly because the synthetic oil being simply too good.

You don't want to loose the whole pattern ofcourse since it is there to make the oil stick to the cylinder better but some has to wear off... This won't easily happen with the synthetic oils and therefore you _could_ end up with the higher oil consumption.

Besides, every motor uses *some* oil :roll:

Will try to find out what Kawi has to say about this...

Regards, Dutch.

·
4,208 Posts
dude check that siite i posted.....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sure... these guys SELL synthetic oil, I wouldn't expect them to say, stay on the pure mineral (does that still excist?) or semi-synthetic for some time, you?

Will ask Kawi what they advise for the 12 when I have the chance and post their comment on the subject here. They have build the engine so they surely know what's best.

Regards, Dutch

·
Registered
18,644 Posts
No to Synthetic Oil if you are hard on clutches? I am hard on clutches. Could someone elaborate on this? It would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Here we go!!!...The never ending oil debate :lol: :lol: :lol:

There has been many different people doing different things, some put in synthetic from day 1 after preping the bike of course!!!...some at 500, 1000, 1500, 2000( I did that ) 3000 and so on!!!...Never heard any bad things about changing to synthetic early!!!...It seems to me that this is a matter of preference and that there is no evidence of tests done that I have seen...So, just do what will give you piece of mind!!!

CrotchRocket

·
Registered
759 Posts
Synthetic oil is known to make clutches slip very little...It is not realy noticeable in feeling...The guys that DragRace know because the clutch lasts longer then regular oil used!!!...Meaning the synthetic oil coats the clutches and they last longer as in my case with the ZX12!!!

I'm not Rickey Gadson, so I use synthetic oil because its better for the engine and saves me money on clutches!!!...The 1/4 mile times listed below are all with RedLine 10-40 synthetic car oil...

CrotchRocket

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
We've had the gixxer 600 race motor apart 5 times in the last 8 months.

I'm pretty sure I could tell you if we've seen any abnormal wear on the cylinders by running full syn (which we do). The bike see's 14k constantly, for the whole race.

But, do as you wish. I'm pretty sure your MC instructor needs some schooling himself, though.

:evil:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts