Kawasaki World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier this year there were numerous post of people just ordering BB kits or waiting to have one installed. Since Kaw is sleeping on the ZX10, I'm want to throw one in over the winter. I'm looking for past, proven results. Can you get good numbers without the head work? Do the kits hold up? Are they worth it? I'd appreciate any feedback, dyno charts, and possible land mines:?

·
Registered
38 Posts
you have to do head work to get the good numbers out of the zx9's...the few we have done have been between 180-200...some with stroke some without...avg hp has been 185-190 and a billet basket is a must...give us a call if you would like to talk more detail...

dwayne

·
Registered
38 Posts
a very good port job and valve job for starters...big valves and degreed cams...with our many years of drag racing experience we have found out what works and what doesn't...there are other tricks that we perform but i can't air it on here...just got finished with a 936 kit with 5mm stroke and went to the track with it and it went a 6.0 off the trailer with no tuning to the chasis or anything...it will run 5.8's on motor...all the nines around here that are built by oothers barely run that on nitrous...

dwayne

·
Registered
989 Posts
Impresive, most of the people I have heard are on the 150-160 mark with the big bore kit and lots of torque.
Since I live where there is no dyno and no real shop design for motorcycles I did what I could to my ZX9 to make it faster. I made the ports smaller 65% math and laped the valves very well. :twisted:
The problem is that I whant more, but I can not aford to send a engine to USA. :cry:
I have the adjustable cam sprockets that I will try to get more Hp of that.

Im thinking of other things that I could do myself since the posibility of sending an engine is out of the cuestion.

·
Registered
194 Posts
what was the mph on the 6.0 pass??

whats the most mph 1/4 your shop has put on a zx9??

Have you built any SBM big blocks??results?concerns?

im very interested to know how you get 180hp when others only get 160 out of the 998kit w/head,etc., 180hp to the rear should get a 430lbs bike and 160lbs rider to about 9.0'[email protected]+, i havent seen anything in houston faster than 9.20'[email protected]

·
Registered
38 Posts
greenpower said:
what was the mph on the 6.0 pass??

whats the most mph 1/4 your shop has put on a zx9??

Have you built any SBM big blocks??results?concerns?

im very interested to know how you get 180hp when others only get 160 out of the 998kit w/head,etc., 180hp to the rear should get a 430lbs bike and 160lbs rider to about 9.0'[email protected]+, i havent seen anything in houston faster than 9.20'[email protected]
don't know why they can't get 160hp out of a 998 kit...all i can say is they must be missing the boat somewhere...just done a 936 kit j/e pistons and it made 157.3 before any tuning...the highest to date in the 1/4 mile on a zx9 is 154.5 mph...we have another one on the bench right now but not sure what the customer will want to do with it yet?will keep you informed of the progress...no sbm stuff...bad experiences in the past and won't use it again...either stock block or muzzy big block...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a Muzzy 998 kit in my '98 and I'm very happy with it. Did all the work myself. Will be tearing it down this winter to do some head work, as of now all I've done is the kit, degreed the cams, Factory Pro jet kit and Muzzy Ti exhaust, sorry no dyno #'s.

I've had it in over a year and 8,100 miles on it as of yesturday, no problems and it runs as cool as when it was stock, more than I can say about some others 950 kits I've talked to.

·
Registered
179 Posts
For those of you who have it, what kinds of costs did you incur for the full job?

What kind of availability in Canada (Moto24, where'd you get yours done at?).. and what other changes to the bike are needed to handle the larger engine? Did you have to stretch the wheelbase at all to keep the front wheel down?

This could be a great winter project!

·
Registered
76 Posts
MisterMurphy said:
For those of you who have it, what kinds of costs did you incur for the full job?

What kind of availability in Canada (Moto24, where'd you get yours done at?).. and what other changes to the bike are needed to handle the larger engine? Did you have to stretch the wheelbase at all to keep the front wheel down?

This could be a great winter project!
The only labor costs for me were to have the old cam sprockets removed and new ones pressed on($50.00), the rest of the work was my own time.

Don't know about availability in Canada, you could try calling Muzzys or check out their site www.muzzys.com

I havn't done anything diffrent to my chassis other than add a Fox shock and I have no problems. If I was to drag it I would deffinatly get lowering links and drop the front, it is wheelie prone but it is controlable in the corners once you get used to the power. If I was going to road race it I probably want to strengthen some areas, swingarm, steering head, but as a street bike it works great.

·
Registered
38 Posts
998 for the 98-99 $1700 and 00-02 $1000...there is a $695 core charge for you cylinder...the prices above do not include the core charge....so if you would like you could ship us your block and we will return you a cylinder along with pistons, wrist pins and rings for the prices above plus shipping...let me know...thanks...

dwayne

·
Registered
989 Posts
If i was going to do that mood, with almost 2K I could buy a 2000 engine and then send the core and I will end with the 98 engine and the 2000 engine.

just a thougth.

·
Registered
264 Posts
998cc big bore kit on my Zx9r C1

ZX9rc1 i have the muzzy big bore kit , their block with special 79mm forging's from JE as my MTc pistons cracked on two pistons also they rocked with lots of clearance the new Je's are very quite but are burning oil , i think i have an oil control problem, my bike has made 165.5 bhp with 85.5 ftlbs torque, with 105 intake and 102 on stock cams , it also pulls a geniune 186 as i have one tooth less on the rear and have been tested in the uk by magazines "stock gearing on rev limiter is 178mph" and runs 9.96 @ 150 mph with stock wheelbase . it also weighs 165 dry or 193 fully wet. going for new rings and 14.1 comp ratio ...ps my motor has 61,000 miles its has never been beaten rips eevry tuned Gsxr1000 to death it also eats zx12s and busa's and silly R1's great fun i have some nice zx998r stickers that look like stock on the nose cone to rub it in !

·
Registered
264 Posts
998cc big bore kit on my Zx9r C1

ZX9rc1 i have the muzzy big bore kit , their block with special 79mm forging's from JE as my MTc pistons cracked on two pistons also they rocked with lots of clearance the new Je's are very quite but are burning oil , i think i have an oil control problem, my bike has made 165.5 bhp with 85.5 ftlbs torque, with 105 intake and 102 on stock cams , it also pulls a geniune 186 as i have one tooth less on the rear and have been tested in the uk by magazines "stock gearing on rev limiter is 178mph" and runs 9.96 @ 150 mph with stock wheelbase . it also weighs 165 dry or 193 fully wet. going for new rings and 14.1 comp ratio ...ps my motor has 61,000 miles its has never been beaten rips eevry tuned Gsxr1000 to death it also eats zx12s and busa's and silly R1's great fun i have some nice zx998r stickers that look like stock on the nose cone to rub it in !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts