Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seasons Greetings, FRIENDS.
Got a simple (Bahhaaahaaahaaaa:rotflmao:) question for ya.

Which OIL to use ???? :puzzled::puzzled:
I got a ready supply (locally) but limited choice.
I like to stick with something I can get easily on the way home
and when "On Special" plus a 10% shop discount.
So my choices are....

Castrol Activ 4T Motorcycle Oil - 15W-50.
Castrol Power 1 Racing Motorcycle Oil -Both 5W-40 & 10W-40.
Silkolene Comp 4 Motorcycle Oil - 10W-40
Silkolene Super 4 Motorcycle Oil - 10W-40

So what your preference ?????:headscratch:

Cheers and STAY SAFE,
Gav

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Hi Thegavel , I only use high tech 5/30 full synthetic for my bike , its car oil and may be cheaper as well . Just see if they sell it imo ..

·
Registered
71 Posts
I order my oils from eBay (saving a lots of money) and the one that has been used on my bike is Motul 300V Competition 15W-50, also a (sports) car oil.

I've started to think how much effect the oil might have considering the heat problem?
I hit the high limit once last summer on traffic lights even with extra fan on + Engine ice coolant boiling. Had to wait for the bike to cooldown and the extra fan drained the battery pretty fast -> had to push-start the meanie :banghead:

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I have always used the Silkolene Comp 4 Motorcycle Oil - 10W-40 Semi-Synthetic along with OEM filter every 1000 miles no problems so far.

·
Registered
990 Posts
From all the fully synth oils i've tried only silkolene doesnt make the clutch stick.
It is great and kept my engine running good so far.

But,as evey service manual says,moly is the only additive that can protect the engine even at pressure loss so when rebuilding the engine moly grease/engine oil mixture should be applied on the working surfaces to protect the engine on the first revs where oil pressure is low.
Liqui moly doesnt make motorcycle oil with moly additive allready in it,for cars it does.

In mine i have valvoline now.I want to see how it goes and i will add moly in a couple of months.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Castrol power 1 4t

CASTROL POWER 1 4T : Castrol Moto

10W40 A little on the expensive side but its all I'll use.
I used to like the look of the Castrol Hondas in world Superbikes, I hope they start sponsoring again soon. Hopefully Kawasaki.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I've been using Silkolene Pro4 10-40 synthetic for about 5 years.
It all seems to work great. Not cheap stuff though.

I have found a few tiny splinters on my magnetic sump plug. I'm convinced that they're not oil related, I think these are tiny slivers from the leading edge of gear teeth rather than anything unexplainable. One day I'll miss 4th and snap one of the teeth clean off.
(Splinters are dark metal, thickness of a hair and maybe 6mm/1/4" long.)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies.
Once the "after Christmas sale" starts I'll see what sort of deal I can get.

Another qwickie....Organic OR Sintered Brake Pads ????
"KATEY" is a daily driver, mainly freeway with lots of Stop/Go
(too much STOP - Not Enough GO !!).
I do about 200 miles a week.
My old ZX11 would chew thru pads really quickly, it didn't matter what kind.

Again, THANKS for the replies,
TAKE CARE & MERRY CHRISTMAS.
CHEERS,
GAV

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I would go for the sintered BP's , I am using extreme pro's on my bike but there not the best under road condition's as they need heat in them to work at there best , in saying that I think they will outlast the discs at the moment .
Have a merry Christmas Gav !!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I've tried Organic and they seem ok to start with, but when your Hooning the bike and using the brake hard and often they quickly fade away and the ditch or hedge will be your next stop.

·
Super Moderator
1,273 Posts
I use Motul 5100 10w40
Welcome to Motul

Cant help you with brake pads, I'm using OEM ZX14 NISSIN pads at the moment

·
Registered
1,912 Posts

I use either of these at the moment

Silkolene Comp 4 Motorcycle Oil - 10W-40
Silkolene Super 4 Motorcycle Oil - 10W-40

Every 1500 miles

I've got 42000 miles on the clock now :thumbup:

Thanx Dave.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I agree one you go full synth you cant change back to semi synth,the manual states semi synth and its all you need especially mixed weather riding.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
The info on switching back from full synthetic is incorrect. And so is the info on not using car oil in a bike. It's all propaganda from certain oil companies in the past.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts

1 - 20 of 30 Posts