Kawasaki World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,

Had a question I figured someone here would be able to answer, as I've never had to deal with this before and I'm sure many of you fine peeps have.

I usually ride my bike all year round. Winters get cold, but I ride anyway because generally there isn't much (or really any) snow. This year however, was a special one, lots of snow... this entire winter season has left this white crap all over the place. So, this is the longest I've owned a bike where it's just been sitting.

I'd say it's been about 3 months since the bike has been ridden. I've started it a couple of times throughout, but took the battery out to put it on a Battery Tender, so for the most part it sits and waits for warmer weather. Luckily, the warmth is approaching... so here's the question...

Aside from an oil change, what are some other things that I need to be cautious about when bringing the bike back out to the road? Anything in particular I need to check? I'm not exactly mechanically skilled, but I know what a motorcycle is vs. a small boulder. :lol:

Additional information, I live in an apartment, so very unfortunately the bike has been outside.. I know, I know... it sucks :thumbdown:, but then I've always been a bit of a loser.

Any help would be really appreciated.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Hey everyone,

Had a question I figured someone here would be able to answer, as I've never had to deal with this before and I'm sure many of you fine peeps have.

I usually ride my bike all year round. Winters get cold, but I ride anyway because generally there isn't much (or really any) snow. This year however, was a special one, lots of snow... this entire winter season has left this white crap all over the place. So, this is the longest I've owned a bike where it's just been sitting.

I'd say it's been about 3 months since the bike has been ridden. I've started it a couple of times throughout, but took the battery out to put it on a Battery Tender, so for the most part it sits and waits for warmer weather. Luckily, the warmth is approaching... so here's the question...

Aside from an oil change, what are some other things that I need to be cautious about when bringing the bike back out to the road? Anything in particular I need to check? I'm not exactly mechanically skilled, but I know what a motorcycle is vs. a small boulder. :lol:

Additional information, I live in an apartment, so very unfortunately the bike has been outside.. I know, I know... it sucks :thumbdown:, but then I've always been a bit of a loser.

Any help would be really appreciated.
Hi mate , as you said oil + filter and if it was me I would change the coolant and brake fluid as well , I would also get a bottle of that injector cleaner that Brock sells as its be proven to work ..:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Check the tires and oil the chain and off ya go. 3 months ain't shit really. Mine sits 5-6 months a year. Last year was especially brutal. I maybe only put 1,000 miles or so on the clock. Burn out that old gas with a few blasts and top her off with some fresh and the 2 other things and you be good. Oil change is a good idea too...but...I ain't changed mine in 2 seasons...but ain't really clocked very many miles either. I will be dropping mine this year.

Oh...and check for squirrel nests in there too. My friend had that happen once storing a bike outside.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Make sure the clutch plates haven't stuck together. Put it in gear with the motor off, pull the clutch in and make sure that it's free. If it's not, either open the clutch and free it up, or rock it back and forth until it separates.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts