Kawasaki World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting the bike ready for a shake down ride this weekend followed by an IBA ride the first weekend of October. I installed my forth chain, new tires, changed the oil and checked the valves. Much to my delight, the valve clearances were all in spec :D Since it was brand new I've only found one valve out and that was right after break in. Damn they must have some good valve seats in these heads:D

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
That's good to hear! I had to change out 4 shims at 5000 miles!!! Hopefully they were just off from the start, and like you said I won't have to mess with them again!

So, how many miles before you decide to trade the baby in?

·
Registered
185 Posts
great results........

a few questions

how often have you replaced sparkplugs.....

how often do you change oil......type....brand

have you checked the compression??????

same stock chain or what brand aftermarket...???

thanks

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
that's a LOt of miles!

I'd be real interested to know what the engine's compression is after that many miles with the proper care that it has undoubtedly received. I'm sure everyone else here is thinking along these lines too. Also, how many times have you changed oil&filter?

·
Registered
19,235 Posts
Hey Omega, One more good question would be to ask how the 12 was initially broken in. I maintain this has a direct relationship with engine longevity.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok since everybody is asking... The bike was broken in MY WAY. Drove it from the dealership some 550 miles away. I started by letting it warm up good and then cooling down completely. Next was a 10 mile and I shut it down to cool off. I repeated this several times, each time going a little farther. The route chosen was in the mountains so I never maintained the same engine speed for more than a few seconds :) By the time I was at 200 miles and 4 or so cycles, I started doing some nice easy roll ons to around 6,000 RPM. By the time I got home 2 days later, it had 550 miles on it and had seen red line :D I changed the oil & filter and continued my break in for another 500 miles before changing the oil again. At 1000 miles I started running Mobile MX4T and have changed the oil and filter every time I change tires (every 2K to 3K miles).. I know I am a little obsesive on the oil changes :roll:

Compression is still excellet and it runs as good now as it did with 10K miles on it (which is where the 12 seems to truely be broken in and starts running it's best). All cyclinders ar within 2PSI of each other so I feel real good about the valves and rings. Anybody who has ridden with me knows that I don't baby this thing and regularily try to wring it's neck running down some mountain road :twisted:

I'd trade it in except since it is the 2000, unrestricted, 220 MPH speedo, light weight crank, and most importantly a faster unfeathered GREEN; why would I want to?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Talk about wringing it's neck OKD, I'm going for a spin, You talked me into it.

My 12 need's it's neck wringed

I agree with ya OKD

Run it hard, But also baby it when when it come's time to take care of the beast.

Just like a good ole hunting dawg never want's to go back to the truck, Just want's to keep running and hunting. But ya know when you get that dawg home you need to feed and water the beast and pull the brair's and thorn's outta the dawg so it want's to hunt tomorror.

Gotta go wring a neck :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts