Kawasaki World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinkin of some for more light during night riding.anyone have some feedback on these?real hid is not an option,so i just wanna change the bulb for some more light.whats good? whats bogus?

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Actually, HID is an option, I believe. There was a post several months back - I can't remember who it was, but if I remember correctly, they even had the manufacturer info. $450-ish was what the little voice is saying...

Hopefully whoever it was will catch this thread. You also might try searching here for HID and H.I.D..

- Blitz

·
Registered
468 Posts
i replaced my stock headlight bulbs with "xenon" cheap ones (blue/white light) for about $25 AUS for the pair ($13 US)...they work absolutely fine and look great! :)

save yourself some cash!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
blue bulbs

well i bought some xenon blue imitation bulbs from advance & they work a little better than stock,the bluish is kinda cool.not too blue to cause unwanted attention,but just a shade,wellworth the $20 bucks.wanna go
h.i.d like blitzman said,i need a clutch 1st,than maybe $400.00 on bulbs.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Zoom said:
Has anyone seen a supply for these (HID) in Oz?

Tnx,

Zoom
i don't know about the REAL thing but in terms of getting the cheapies (that still actually work just fine) then head on down to kmart or even better, supercheap auto! :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
I don't have any pics yet. I will try to get some, and show you the difference between stock and hid. These are very easy to install. Just connect the ballast where the stock bulbs used to connect and plug the hid bulbs into the ballast. You can mount the ballast with double sided tape or screws, your choice. Check out the website from the guy I bought mine from. Xenon-kit.com.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks Guys,
I have tried the cheap blues in the fourb'y and threw them to the weeds as the original 100w halogens were better at long range. i must admint the blues were slightly easier on the eyes after a while tho.
I then fitted 35w xenon discharge spots and it blew them all out of the water. Thus the reason for something similar for the 12 8)

Cheers from the North.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I helped a neighbor of mine install a HID system into his R6. Since you cant have high and low beams, I wired the right light to come on when you use the high beam switch. I then aimed his left light fairly low so there isn't a glare in peoples' eyes that are coming from the other direction. I aimed the right one high so he had a high beam as well.

When the switch was on low beam, the right light is completely shut off. When you flip to high, both lights are on. The HID bulbs are plenty bright so you don't have to worry about running a single light for the low beams.

Stay away from those cheap ass Super Extreme Ultra Xenon HID Hyperwhite I'm a Squid bulbs. The reason they are easier on your eyes is because they throw less light than a clear Halogen bulb. You get much better contrast with the slightly yellowish hue of halogen light which means you can see better at night. If you want brighter, look at a rally shop for clear halogen bulbs. You can get 70/80's, 55/100's for a legal low beam, 80/100's, 100/130's, and I've seen as high as 120/150's. If you get those bulbs, the store will most likely push a wiring harness on you. The stock wiring in any car is fine for 100 watt bulbs. Anything higher and you might want to look into some heavier gauge wiring.

100 watt @ 13 volts = 7.7 Amps per bulb
130 watt @ 13 volts = 10 Amps per bulb
150 watt @ 13 volts = 11.5 Amps per bulb

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the info. I think i wil definetly go the hid way. After using them a while on the fourby i wouldnt go back. The light is way better and the alternator likes them too :)

Cheers

·
Registered
468 Posts
KZ1100 said:
I helped a neighbor of mine install a HID system into his R6. Since you cant have high and low beams, I wired the right light to come on when you use the high beam switch. I then aimed his left light fairly low so there isn't a glare in peoples' eyes that are coming from the other direction. I aimed the right one high so he had a high beam as well.

When the switch was on low beam, the right light is completely shut off. When you flip to high, both lights are on. The HID bulbs are plenty bright so you don't have to worry about running a single light for the low beams.

Stay away from those cheap ass Super Extreme Ultra Xenon HID Hyperwhite I'm a Squid bulbs. The reason they are easier on your eyes is because they throw less light than a clear Halogen bulb. You get much better contrast with the slightly yellowish hue of halogen light which means you can see better at night. If you want brighter, look at a rally shop for clear halogen bulbs. You can get 70/80's, 55/100's for a legal low beam, 80/100's, 100/130's, and I've seen as high as 120/150's. If you get those bulbs, the store will most likely push a wiring harness on you. The stock wiring in any car is fine for 100 watt bulbs. Anything higher and you might want to look into some heavier gauge wiring.

100 watt @ 13 volts = 7.7 Amps per bulb
130 watt @ 13 volts = 10 Amps per bulb
150 watt @ 13 volts = 11.5 Amps per bulb
i actually run those "cheapo" lights (55/60w or whatever they are) and they seem fine (both for the car and for the bike)...however, are you saying that maybe the wiring in the zx12 (i'm sure it is not strong enough in my old car) is strong enough to handle the higher rated 100w or whatever one??? what damage would i do if it couldn't handle it (would it blow the fuse)?

stronger lights would rule even more! :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
bluedraco said:
i actually run those "cheapo" lights (55/60w or whatever they are) and they seem fine (both for the car and for the bike)...however, are you saying that maybe the wiring in the zx12 (i'm sure it is not strong enough in my old car) is strong enough to handle the higher rated 100w or whatever one??? what damage would i do if it couldn't handle it (would it blow the fuse)?

stronger lights would rule even more! :)
Not all of the blue lights are cheapo's. The ones that are advertised as Xenon HID but have a filiment are cheap. All blue incandescent bulbs regardless if they are cheap ones or not, throw less light than equal wattage clear bulbs because the coating on the bulbs filter out red and yellow light. The coating does not amplify blue light which is why the bulbs are actually dimmer than the clear counterparts.

Your 12 should be able to handle dual 100 watt bulbs. If anything, the wires running to your headlights will heat up a bit. In extreme cases, the wires could burn, but 100 watt bulbs don't draw anywhere near enough current to get to that point. The worst thing that would happen is the wires would warm up slightly and your headlights will get a bit dimmer. If thats the case, switch back to the stock bulb or put heavier gauge wires in. I've helped several people put 100 watt bulbs in their bikes an I haven't seen any problems yet. I run 55/100's in both my bikes and my car without any problems.

Hope that helps you!

·
Registered
468 Posts
KZ1100 said:
Not all of the blue lights are cheapo's. The ones that are advertised as Xenon HID but have a filiment are cheap. All blue incandescent bulbs regardless if they are cheap ones or not, throw less light than equal wattage clear bulbs because the coating on the bulbs filter out red and yellow light. The coating does not amplify blue light which is why the bulbs are actually dimmer than the clear counterparts.

Your 12 should be able to handle dual 100 watt bulbs. If anything, the wires running to your headlights will heat up a bit. In extreme cases, the wires could burn, but 100 watt bulbs don't draw anywhere near enough current to get to that point. The worst thing that would happen is the wires would warm up slightly and your headlights will get a bit dimmer. If thats the case, switch back to the stock bulb or put heavier gauge wires in. I've helped several people put 100 watt bulbs in their bikes an I haven't seen any problems yet. I run 55/100's in both my bikes and my car without any problems.

Hope that helps you!
hmmm, i'm now very tempted to go out and buy the 55/100 ones and put them in the zx12...are you actually running these higher rated ones in a zx12? if so, any modifications to the wiring or is it standard?

sorry about the questions but i just want to make sure i don't go melting the bike anymore than it already does from the huge amount of heat the engine produces!!! :wink:

·
Registered
327 Posts
bluedraco said:
hmmm, i'm now very tempted to go out and buy the 55/100 ones and put them in the zx12...are you actually running these higher rated ones in a zx12? if so, any modifications to the wiring or is it standard?

sorry about the questions but i just want to make sure i don't go melting the bike anymore than it already does from the huge amount of heat the engine produces!!! :wink:
I don't own a ZX12 YET, and I haven't directly seen anyone put them into a 12, but I have seen them work perfectly in Harleys, Buells, Yamahas, Suzuki's, Ducks, and Kawasaki's. I have an '81 KZ1100 and an '82 KZ1000 with a 55/100 and I haven't had a problem. My 1000 has had the bulb for 4 years now and it hasn't burned out yet.

If you are still concerned, ask around. I can promise you that someone out there is running higher wattage bulbs in their 12. If it turns out that the wiring is a problem, you can either purchase or make your own relay controlled harness to control the bulbs. I can say that if I owned a 12, there would already be some 55/100's in it already.

I like the 55/100's because the 55 watt low is very close to stock so it doesn't draw any attention from the law. The 100 watt highs make a huge difference in visibility at night even on a single headlight setup like my 2 bikes. Sticking with an incandescent bulb as opposed to HID will save you money, and it will retain the beam pattern of your stock setup.

·
Registered
468 Posts
KZ1100 said:
I don't own a ZX12 YET, and I haven't directly seen anyone put them into a 12, but I have seen them work perfectly in Harleys, Buells, Yamahas, Suzuki's, Ducks, and Kawasaki's. I have an '81 KZ1100 and an '82 KZ1000 with a 55/100 and I haven't had a problem. My 1000 has had the bulb for 4 years now and it hasn't burned out yet.

If you are still concerned, ask around. I can promise you that someone out there is running higher wattage bulbs in their 12. If it turns out that the wiring is a problem, you can either purchase or make your own relay controlled harness to control the bulbs. I can say that if I owned a 12, there would already be some 55/100's in it already.

I like the 55/100's because the 55 watt low is very close to stock so it doesn't draw any attention from the law. The 100 watt highs make a huge difference in visibility at night even on a single headlight setup like my 2 bikes. Sticking with an incandescent bulb as opposed to HID will save you money, and it will retain the beam pattern of your stock setup.
yeah, well i currently have the standard wattage globes in there but they are the "ultra white light" type ones (cheapo xenon ones or whatever you want to call them)...instead of yellow they are white/blueish...however, i think i remember seeing a higher wattage (55/100) version of them which would be really sweet (higher powered white/blueish ones)...

hope that sorta makes sense! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts