Kawasaki World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HI I own a ZX-11 91' D model. Have that bike for a 3rd year now , bone stock.
Since im not really familiar with the engine's capabilities I was wondering what kind of mods would best gain me around 30-40hp more without damaging the engine. First engine blew up. Second one was also got damaged for no apparent reason ( From C series ).
I had some advice about work on the head such as resurfacing plus port n polish. Combined with a jet kit and a single exhaust system, but not sure at what pipe size. Don't even know how much will that gain.
Other option I was thinking about is nitrous ( 40 shots ) but im not familiar at all what else is needed besided the nitrous system.
Any piece of advice about what i want to gain?
Most importantly will the clutch hold?
Reducing weight? What can I remove?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
30 to 40 hp is quite a bit. With 2 failed engines already are you sure you want to do this? Maybe putting the money elsewhere would be better.
If you really want to do this, to get that horse power increase your options are 1. Nos. 2. Turbo 3. Extreme engine rebuild. Except for nos the other two most likely cost more than the bike is worth.

Best of luck whatever you decide

Lou

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I do not know why the first engine was blown. When I bough the ZZR it had a C series engine and the other one came up as a spare one.
The second one had a problem with the big end bearings and clutch basket. Just decided to get a whole D series engine. I recently damaged the gearbox on a drag race. Since I have two more spare engines this one is going to be dissasembled anyway so it will be a good time for some mods.
This is why I need info from someone who owns a ZX-11 and has been through this. I know what my options are as I already mentioned them. I need details. Most important of them engine reliabilty.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Google search "Doug Meyer oil mod" and you will find plenty regarding engine failures because of oil starvation which is your first problem to cure.
Normal route to more power is a 4 into 1 exhaust an 1109cc piston kit with a bit more compression a set of flat slide carburettors and some better cam shafts.
Together this will give you 150bhp ish if its built and set up right but finding the parts for a 20 year old bike is a problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Google search "Doug Meyer oil mod" and you will find plenty regarding engine failures because of oil starvation which is your first problem to cure.
Normal route to more power is a 4 into 1 exhaust an 1109cc piston kit with a bit more compression a set of flat slide carburettors and some better cam shafts.
Together this will give you 150bhp ish if its built and set up right but finding the parts for a 20 year old bike is a problem.
Oil pump has been reconditioned. But I will still read what you told me.
How about the other I mentioned. Any gain of those?

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I would think for the money spent, it would be a better idea to just buy a newer platform that already has the power you're looking for. Can nab a decent used 12R for cheap these days...hell even a standard 14 too. These bikes already have what you are looking for with a lot more tuning power than the old carb'd 11. Just my thoughts on this. Milking the power you want out of that engine is gonna be a wallet opener, if you can find the parts. For the cost of the head work, pipe, carbs and cams already mentioned, you got a 12R or 14. Much better platforms if you ask me. Just my thoughts on this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I would think for the money spent, it would be a better idea to just buy a newer platform that already has the power you're looking for. Can nab a decent used 12R for cheap these days...hell even a standard 14 too. These bikes already have what you are looking for with a lot more tuning power than the old carb'd 11. Just my thoughts on this. Milking the power you want out of that engine is gonna be a wallet opener, if you can find the parts. For the cost of the head work, pipe, carbs and cams already mentioned, you got a 12R or 14. Much better platforms if you ask me. Just my thoughts on this.

Where I live, 12R cost 3500 eur minimum. 14 about 7500 euro.
Head work cost about 60-70 euro. Pipe around 100 euro. Jet kits on the internet are around 100$ + 20$ delivery.
I don't even think about toying with cams, carbs, etc. This is why I asked about nitrous. But seems to me noone is familiar witht the questions I asked. Which do not involve other bikes. But still thanks to Ken12r for telling me that I need an entire set of parts to gain my orignal 150hp ....... Not a good option and pretty useless result.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Where I live, 12R cost 3500 eur minimum. 14 about 7500 euro.
Head work cost about 60-70 euro. Pipe around 100 euro. Jet kits around the internet are around 100$ + 20$ delivery.
I don't even think about toying with cams, carbs, etc. This is why I asked about nitrous. But seems to me noone is familiar witht the questions I asked. Which do not involve other bikes. But still thanks to Ken12r for telling me that I need an entire set of parts to gain my orignal 150hp ....... Not a good option.
Hey Roman how are you?

You have to understand that even a stock engine will blow if you abuse it.People here with drag engines still have them because they know how to race.Thus reliability is up to you and the way you ride it.It doenst have to do with the engine.
Many of us here had an oil pump failure while riding and the engine didn't have any damage at all.

Nitrous,turbo or N/A upgrades all require some time on the road(or dyno) setting for fuelling.

As for nitrous if you want that 50hp+ you should add at least forged pistons.That is 1000 euros + i imagine in Bulgaria.

For turbo even more.So you'd better see if you can sell the zzr and buy a 12 for 2500 from here(greece) and make that 70 euro head porting there that with a (edit) full exhaust will give you the 180+ hp rear wheel hp you want.

Reducing weight?? Like 5 kgs an still have a bike that looks like road worhty zzr??No way!!Unless you spend money on making parts like the gas tank and tail out carbon fiber...
And still you will have a bike heavier than a stock 12....

Keep the zzr and fit a nitrous system to give you that 10-20hp above 8000rpm to play with.This way you'll be safe with the clutch and you wont spend that much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Best answer so far. Thank you Nucleon ST.
Actually I was talking about 40BHP max ( I don't really expect that much ). Not wheel horse power. Hell even 30 is MORE than enough.
Do you think any head work is needed while fitting the nitrous? And should anything else be changed along the way? Even for 20hp.
I am aware it requires setting on the dyno.
Noone so far said anything about the jet kits on the net.
I do not abuse mi bike. It's a daily driver for me and occasionally I happen to make a few drag runs, nothing more. This is why Im curious if it can take any mods with stock internals.

·
Registered
990 Posts
APE - NOS Nitrous Products

You cat get an idea here.Sending them an email would be better.
Around the head you need some things found on the link,work on the head itself,no.

If you can fit forged connecting rods/pistons.If you cannot,go easy on the nitrous and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
HI I own a ZX-11 91' D model. Have that bike for a 3rd year now , bone stock.
Since im not really familiar with the engine's capabilities I was wondering what kind of mods would best gain me around 30-40hp more without damaging the engine.
If its a 1991.. its a C model.. unless you swapped it with a D model engine.
:headscratch: which you may have

A quick & easy way to get 40hp more is nitrous.. but, its also
a quick & easy way to get your motor blown up. :lol: :thumbdown:

First engine blew up.
Second one was also got damaged for no apparent reason ( From C series ).
I had some advice about work on the head such as resurfacing plus port n polish.
Combined with a jet kit and a single exhaust system, but not sure at what pipe size.
Don't even know how much will that gain.
Well.. if you have two motors..
you can get one running, and
build up the other motor for turbo or nitrous. :thumbup:

Other option I was thinking about is nitrous ( 40 shots ) but im not familiar at all what else is needed besided the nitrous system.
Plz dont.. its a shortcut* :runaway:

Any piece of advice about what i want to gain?
Most importantly will the clutch hold?
Reducing weight? What can I remove?
in no particular order...

remove any weight that doesnt need to be there..
You can Port & Polish, "hog", or port match the head
do a ZX9 wheel swap or Magnesium wheels
lightweight rotors
remove the octopus on the cylinder head & cap the ports
remove any restrictive equipment on the ram air intake
adj. timing advancer
you can do a COP / Stickcoil conversion
lightweight sprocket
remove the engine counter balancer
zzr1200 header swap
factory pro jet kit properly jetted
big bore kit
knife-edge & stroke the crankshaft

I have 157hp dyno verified out of my motor.

I know that 175+hp is achievable.

What is your goal with your bike?

Cheers!

·
Registered
479 Posts
If its a 1991.. its a C model.. unless you swapped it with a D model engine.
:headscratch: which you may have

A quick & easy way to get 40hp more is nitrous.. but, its also
a quick & easy way to get your motor blown up. :lol: :thumbdown:

Well.. if you have two motors..
you can get one running, and
build up the other motor for turbo or nitrous. :thumbup:

Plz dont.. its a shortcut* :runaway:

in no particular order...

remove any weight that doesnt need to be there..
You can Port & Polish, "hog", or port match the head
do a ZX9 wheel swap or Magnesium wheels
lightweight rotors
remove the octopus on the cylinder head & cap the ports
remove any restrictive equipment on the ram air intake
adj. timing advancer
you can do a COP / Stickcoil conversion
lightweight sprocket
remove the engine counter balancer
zzr1200 header swap
factory pro jet kit properly jetted
big bore kit
knife-edge & stroke the crankshaft

I have 157hp dyno verified out of my motor.

I know that 175+hp is achievable.

What is your goal with your bike?

Cheers!
I have a 1109 big bore kit and the jet kit and a mild polishing on the heads and the 'Stock" pipes on the bike (I like the looks) and she dynoed 148 at the wheel, Ive had all the big bikes and love the ZX-11.....

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Def of ur goal is 40 hp... A nice wet nos kit will be cheapest way... U can spray 30-40 just depends wich jets u put in. If u go dry you will need bigger jets, which will make bike slow when not spraying...

If you go wet you will need a second feel pump to feed the second fuel solenoid that feeds the nos kit...

Wet means gas and nos.

Dry means just nos and extra fuel supplied by carbs... On ur bike...

With 30-40 you will only be semi reliable...

Means shift easy... Don't launch on nos...

And for example,drag race- 10 seconds on nos maybe ur engine is fine...

Mile or kilometer race -20 seconds plus on nos ur pistons overheat and explode....

So... Forged pistons and rods would be best. If u want 30-40 hp... Pistons & rods (1500$ ish)

Best option for me is buy zx12r. It's amazing bike...

As has been said...

They laughed at the zx11... With the 12r nobodies laughing.

Gl and enjoy ur kawi either way...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts