Kawasaki World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just getting ready to reassemble my 12 and wondering about the need to have the head resurfaced and if I do, can I use a thinner gasket ? Also noticed head was ported recently and wonder about reusing head and cylinder to case gasket that looks virtually new?

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
I would not reuse a head gasket, i do reuse base gaskets, but i always prep them and apply a very very thin amount of sealer if they are used. new can go in dry as they come precoated with a thin amount of clear sealer(or black if aftermarket). check the head for warpage, it may just need to be lapped. if you want to increase the compression ratio, milling the head is a better option than a thinner headgasket. the 3 layer hg will seal better than the 2 layer. milling wont alter pth clearance in the quench areas, a thin hg will. both will alter cam timing slightly and affect ptv clearance. when deviating from stock everything must be measured or checked.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I think he means that if he has to have the mating face of the head re-surfaced, does he then need to fit a THICKER head gasket to make the compression go back to standard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts