Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am having a problem with Time! Falicon is busy right now and has not had the time to take the Blank Basket and machine the Center like the 12. It is not Cheap to machine "ONE" from Scratch unless I (For myself) KNOW it works Perfectly!! My Plan was to get Falicon to machine the Center and Rivet Holes and make sure this works and then use them to make a Run of about 10 also with the Reliefs for the Gear Springs correct for the 12 Gear.

Since this is not happening at a speed I can deal with I asked Pierre about making the entire Basket from Scratch (14 Basket with 12 Center hole, Rivet Placement and 12 Spring Reliefs)

Pierre asked me for How much Interest is there in this? Specially since the Basket would cost $4-500 which is about the same as a Billet Basket from Falicon but totally different Center. So if there is at least "10" people that want this, I will pay him to make "Just One" and install it on my bike to make sure it all works. Then maybe send my set up to Henry (Color Me Gone) to check for himself. Then if we are all agreed we produce a run of 10 more. Also for the Lock up Clutch users, we have a special Puller that is made all out of Ball Bearings (Including the Front and Back of the Shaft so if you need to pull in the Clutch on Top end the shaft will not Seize)

So post here if you are in under these conditions !

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
So basically, you'd get a billet basket able to use ZX14 clutch plates. Are the 14 clutch plates a HUGE improvement over the ZX12s?

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So basically, you'd get a billet basket able to use ZX14 clutch plates. Are the 14 clutch plates a HUGE improvement over the ZX12s?
i HATE WHAT they are doing to this site. I cannot find anything anymore. It takes most of my time to just get a view I can see and use on my phone. It took "4" times just to see your post!!

Mr. Hibbs, the main weakness of the 12 vs the Busa was the Clutch. The Main advantage the 14 has over the 12 is the Clutch. The 14 uses the EXACT SAME Clutch plates as the BUSA. For riding in the Streets there is about ZERO Need for this. For Drag Racing there is a 100% Need for this. I still remember seeing Mad Mike with his bike on its side and the oil cap off waiting for the clutch to cool so he could make another run.

YOU Buy a 14 clutch set up and have the 12 Gear Riveted to the 12/14 Basket and install the 14 Clutch. At least that is the Theory I am working on.

·
Registered
393 Posts
What about the iner hub will you use a14 hub will the splines line up on the 12 shaft any chance for a slider ? Sounds interesting .this site sucks

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
only interested if its a slider basket. as in it will take a slider or gen 2 mtc lock up.

chavcat is likely interested?

yes the 14 hub fits the 12 trans. engineers were lazy and didnt change it. at least on the gen1 14 that i tried.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
his stuff wears out pretty quick

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
I was just talking with a shop owner in Greece that makes clutches similar to the hays, but apparently better material and more surface area where the plates contact. he says his are 7075 and hays uses 6061. he races a 12 and is interested in doing a 14 basket conversion too. just to have more options on the table.

whats the price we are thinking of for the Falicon or Bear basket Vincent?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
as you guys know i own both bikes. the 14 clutch is a dream come true.from a dead stop you dont even have to give it any throttle and it will be engaged by 1 rotation of the front tire.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
as you guys know i own both bikes. the 14 clutch is a dream come true.from a dead stop you dont even have to give it any throttle and it will be engaged by 1 rotation of the front tire.
The 14 clutch is also hydraulic, no? And I think the extra torque and heavier flywheel help on the 14. I noticed that on the ZX14 I drag raced last summer. VERY VERY easy to launch. I'm talking low 1.6 sixty foot times, stock wheel base, like it was nothing. Very consistent. To do the same with my ZX12R it was a miracle balancing act to get the revs and clutch release just right.

·
Super Moderator
1,233 Posts
Hydraulic is the big thing there..

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
the 14 launches easier because its a higher tq motor and has extra rotating mass. the clutch size or it being hydraulic doesnt really do it. we sell cable conversions for busas and its because guys find they have better control with it.

its like comparing the gen 1 12 with the B+. the gen 1 has a lighter rotating assembly and takes more skill to launch. heavier mass at speed ready to go has more inertia.

the main advantage to the 14 pack is its less likely to get burned up with poor clutch control drag racing as its bigger and better at dissipating the heat

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Wow interesting thread. I would have never thought there was enough room for ZX14 clutch basket in the 12R. I always thought part of the problem with the 12R clutch was the sheer number of plates. A little bit of wear on all the plates and you lose stack height rapidly..

·
Registered
95 Posts
interested only in the fact that the zx14 has a slipper clutch which i am wanting to put on my bikes, i dont drag race but do ride my bike at the road course track

·
Registered
95 Posts
i seen those but if i am able to use a 14 set-up which i could get used for alot less then buying the other, its still in the back of my head though

1 - 20 of 26 Posts