Kawasaki World banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of providing integrated picture hosting with the forum using PhotoPost software (http://www.photopost.com/featuresphp.html)

If it all works you will use your same account for pics and forum.

The only issue is...... how much will the bandwidth increase. If it is not too bad then great. My first stab at this will be to limit the pics to only be viewed from ZX-12R.org and the Talk Forum. This will limit people from using it to host pics and then view them on other sites (which costs me money). If it turns out that the bandwidth is too high and it is getting too expensive, the other possibility would be to charge a small fee, of course I would open it up to allow anyone to view it if people are paying.

Does anyone have any suggestions about this?
Do you like the idea?
Should I go for it?

Check out the software link above, they have a ton of cool options and it would make posting pics on the forum much, much easier.

Thanks,

Easyrider

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone......anyone......

Does anyone think this is something worth adding to the site?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Easy:

Coincidence is a funny thing... I was just talking to Blitz last week about myself offering this service to the members of ZX-12R.org exclusively - I run my own server at home.

I am still evaluating the bandwidth issues (running some rather general, hypothetical calculations, and waiting for Sympatico to get back to me regarding actual bandwidth limitations) - it seems like a pretty big endeavour, but properly policed (picture content, the linking to pics for other sites, etc.), I think it would be something of great benefit to the whole site.

Do you have any idea as to what your bandwidth limits are with your ISP?

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My Cable Modem ISP has an official limit of 4GB of transfer per month. However you can usually push this limit depending on how picky they are.

From the bandwidth I have with movie and pic downloads on the site now. I can easily see going over that limit.

The good thing about me doing it, is that I can integrate the database from the forum with the picture hosting accounts so people will see it as one system. I believe there are some other features that are possible with that as well.

Unless you are willing to risk getting shut down by your provider it is dicey nowadays running it from home. I was pushing my luck big time in the early days until I finally went to an outside host. From what I have seen the ISP's are even more picky about BW.

I was also thinking of moving over all the pics from the site to allow for better grouping.

As long as the current number of adveritsers stay with me, and I raffle off the odd pocketbike I should be able to offer this feature indefinitely. If it is just for members it should be OK.

I want to try and set things up so that the informative pics that are used in posts are preserved and don't disappear. The way it is now, a thread is only complete for so long then the person removes the pics from where ever they are hosted and the thread is no longer useful. If people can make a habit of leaving the good pics on the site permanently I can start changing over the work backing up posts to just adding links from the forum.

I hope this doesn't bum you out that I am thinking of doing this. I don't want to steal anyones thunder.

·
Registered
374 Posts
By all means Easy, it is your forum, and I think it would work a lot better if you set it up. I just started talking to Blitz about it as a possible solution to the dreaded red "X's"...

I'm sure Sympatico would eventually shut me down anyway, if it got too big.

Absolutely no thunder stolen, and if there is anything I can do to help (I know my way around a box pretty well...) all you need to do is ask.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
I agree that a solution to this is long overdue, however it is accomplished.... :wink:

Its not such a big deal for some of us that have their own website to host pictures on, but many guys do not.

Also, this old photo thing you speak of is a valid point - more than one good thread has become junk because old photos are removed from someones host to make space.

Damn the torpedos - full speed ahead!!!

·
Registered
577 Posts
suggestions:

1. For each member, create a separate directory each for bike related pics and nudie related pics.
2. limit nudie related storage space. That way if a member wishes to post more, he has to delete some.
3. limit bandwidth per member's subdirectory. This way no single "picture-post-whore" hogs everyone's bandwidth.
4. limit external access via linking etc

I'll post more as I think of them.

:)

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
I think it's a great idea, Dale. I have no idea how much bandwith costs, but I'd be willing to pay for the priveledge to post pics. on this site as I don't have my own webpage. I've used most of the free sites and found all to have issues of one type or another.

Why not make it a voluntary effort ? Any interested pay you a nominal fee to post and those that have other resources can just continue with their past practices. What would we be looking at... $10.00 per year ???

Scott W.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The last thing I want is to charge members for anything.

Hopefully if the bandwidth isn't too bad it will solve the problem of posts going dry from pictures being removed and make it easier for members to post pics.
I will see what kind of options I have.

As far as nude pics, perhaps one common section could be reserved for that where any member can upload. It would make it easier for me to monitor the pics to make sure nothing violates my Hosting rules. It is a tough job, but someone has to check out those pics :D

I will see what I can do to get this going in the next week or so.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Sorry, Easy - I wish I knew more about computer stuff to offer an opinion. I reckon you're right, though, that it would probably be good not to charge people - as I know you have built this AWESOME FORUM on the venerable principle of free access for all.
I'm sure you'll make the right decision man.

12rider
Sydney

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
My site is remotely hosted and i have unlimited Bandwidth. I think if a few of us Web Masters who were willing to get togather on this shared the bandwidth it'd be a non issue for you. You could create a page here to upload the pics and I could write a Java Script pluggin that would automaticly alternate the uploading between us at a preprogramed ratio.

For example if You, BusaBitchSlapper, and I went togather and. If were were each takeing 1/3=(33.33-%) of the uploading you could change the ratio to say 10%-45%-45% very easily if band width started to become an issue for one person or even go to 0%-50%50. There would be no security issues either. Easy would have full controol over directing the upload flow. and each host would have controol over manageing the files that are uploaded on their server only. We'd all have to give Easy Password access to our servers, but i think we can trust him :? :D

The only problem with me is it would take alot of time to write the program/get it ready and My work (I work with Reptiles) is really starting to pick up because of prepareing the outdoor enclosures for spring and getting ready for the breeding season. So i'll be working 14-18hr days alot till summer. If you're willing to give me a few months i'd be willing to do it and host a share of the pics. You're really good to all the members of this site and i'm sure anyone that could would do anything to help.

Thats the only suggestion i can think of.

BTW:Easy, hows that PHP Mod comeing? I'm sending you a PM on something that i forgot to tell you.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
I am as computer illiterate as they come, but I do know one thing...it was getting quite irritating hosting through Bike pics, as my pics would some times never show up or the site would be down. I go through Sony Image Station now though and don't have any complaints. But for the people wanting to host nude pics etc...then even image station won't do.
I think it's a great idea Dale and, if like anything else on this site, I am sure it will work great. :)

·
Registered
25,373 Posts
Dale, Blitz, Others - I'm with Bigsaint on this... I'm willing to pay an annual fee for the privelidge. I understand this would be another thing to monitor, & you don't want to really charge fees for anything, but...

The pocketbike raffle & other fund-raisers could probably do it... Also, if people were made aware of a need (if funds run shy) they can contribute to the "operational fund" via PayPal, or such.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Good idea Easy.

I'm all for it.

Sometimes a pic really does say a thousand words. :D

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I want to get this up and running as soon as possible. I have an email in to www.photopost.com about paying with Paypal, once that is returned I am good to go. They seem to have an over complicated system for buying the software, their 30 day trial is a little unclear as well.
As soon as I get the software I will start setting it up, it may take a few days after I get the software before I go live. I will want to tweek it and set it up in a way that will work. Sometimes changing things after a ton of accounts are setup and running is tough.

I appreciate the offer to share bandwidth, this could be really good depending on how things turn out. I will let you know how the costs get. If you have unlimited bandwidth I could send you the move section and link to your site anytime and that would shed 10-20GB's of transfer per month off the site. Just let me know when how much bandwidth you have to spare and I will be able to fill it up :D

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I think that would be great. I am network savy, not internet savy so I would have to chip in dough or time to write basic html if needed. Please just let us know what you need and it will be covered one way or another.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Krait00, thanks for the offer.

The rest of the people in this post, I am really starting to like your taste in avatars :D Keep up the good work. :D

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
he rest of the people in this post, I am really starting to like your taste in avatars Keep up the good work.
Dale...when you upgrading that ole skull avatar of yours??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
4,208 Posts
I think it is a great idea......and I would be willing to help out however needed..........Being I have an abundance of free time I could definitely help you admin that section of the website..........Brian

1 - 20 of 26 Posts