1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1989 ZX10 KA-boom! Clutch basket / alt tensioner/chain Problems

Hey guys..
my clutch tensioner came into contact with the clutch basket.. :angry:
(after doing some searching.. I guess its a problem)
that ZRX guy "kwick" sells a couple "fixes"
but spending another 100 bucks on something that shouldnt* be a problem in the first place hardly seems like a fix.

My buddy showed me a couple drag ZX11's that have the tensioners modified or welded..
Can anyone shed some more light on these modifications/improvements?
What is the best path to take here?

Im having some real problems finding a replacement clutch basket assembly for my ZX10..
Im scanning ebay but I havent had much luck.
Can I use another clutch assy?
What are my options?

Thanks in advance.. I just want to get back on the road..
1989 ZX10

·
Registered
21 Posts
Gpz1000rx clutch?

Sorry your tensioner fubar'd your clutch.Your only chance is try a unit from a GPZ1000RX or 'C' model ZZR11.These are the closest engine cousins if you get my drift.Later bikes had a modified tensioner with a cut out in the blade to 'miss' the front pressure plate,which was also changed slightly.If the basket on yours is totalled a newer model one may be your only chance,it's specific to that model only.FYI the semi automatic tensioner fix works,it tensions the starter chain correctly when the starter spins and when the engine fires it stops the tensioner blade from being fired back into the clutch by the shock loading of the chain when the engine starts.Hope this helps or at least gives you a few more options.Good luck.:headscratch::thumbup:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
zing: thanks. so you're suggesting a clutch from a GPZ1, or a early ZX11? Which later bikes came with the modified tensioner? What newer model basket can i use? The front pressure plate changed? the fix only works at start? i thought it was on hard decel?

·
Registered
21 Posts
There's a good chance any later model will be ok. I've found Kawasaki to be very lazy when it comes to changing things. Usually it's just a part number change or it's been updated. Kawasaki.com is your best source of part compatibility, cross reference the part number lists for the clutches of each prospective donor. The one with the most matches is the winner. You'll find the link to 'parts diagrams' in the 'Owner info' menu.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
zing: so i found a exploded view of the clutch at partzilla but a lot of the parts are discontinued.
What do you mean the one with the most "matches" wins? Im trying to buy parts to repair it now.
Which later bikes came with the modified tensioner? What is different?
If the clutch changes..What newer model basket can i use? The front pressure plate changed? and the fix only works at start? i thought it was on hard decel?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts