Kawasaki World banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so I know this has been talked about at length on numerous boards so I apologize in advance. I have been reading and I think I know how I can do this on a 2000 ZX12R without a fork or caliper swap or much machining. I'd love some help/advice/expertise/tell me if I'm absolutely wrong in my line of thinking. From what I can tell it would be around a 6-9 pound difference but can't confirm exact weight and also dependant on the year of wheels used.

So for the rear:
A ZX14 is a near bolt on to the 12 but uses a larger brake rotor requiring machining the caliper hanger or another alternate option.
The 10R rear axel is too narrow and would not work with the caliper hanger.
Using the 12R front wheel bearings on the 10R wheel, the 12R or 14R axel can be used without requiring any changes to the caliper hanger. The 10R brake rotor is the same size as the 12R and requires no adjustment to the caliper.
From what I have read, the 10R and 14R width is the same so the 14 spacers in should work.
The 14 Axle is slightly lighter than the 12R and would be the one to use.

So 10R wheel with 14R axle and spacers. 12R caliper and hanger and front wheel bearings. Bolt pattern on the 10 rear is the same as the 12 so can reuse sprocket and rotor.

The front:
Zx10R wheel is a near bolt on to the 12R forks.
Use ZX10 or 14 axel and spacer, as the 12R spacers will not work.
The ZX12R rotors are dished approx 8.5mm and the 10 and 14 rotors are flat.
The 12R has 320mm rotors and the 10 and 14 have 310mm rotors.
12R rotors haves a different bolt pattern.
2000 12R calipers axial, 10 and 14 are radial.

So 10R wheel, axel and spacers. To adjust for the dishing add spacers, preferably on the caliper side to push it in toward the rotor. Potentially 4.5mm on caliper side and 4mm on rotor side so neither side is extended too far.
To adjust for bolt patter and rotor size, I'd look at swapping the braking surface on the rotors. Assuming the carrier (idk if that's the right name for it) part of the rotor is the same size for both the 10 and 12 (I have not been able to find information on the sizes for the non-braking surface parts of the rotors), hopefully rotors from the same company would have the same size, I'd drill out the bobbins from each rotor. I would swap the larger braking surface of the 12 rotor (a total assumption as I have not been able to find measurements to confirm) onto the 10 carrier and replace the bobbins making a rotor with the bolt pattern to fit a 10 wheel with the overall 320mm diameter. (Yes, brembo makes 320mm rotors for a 10.... they are also $500+.....).

This is the puzzle I have pieced together from the information I have found and my own assumptions from information or thought that I have not been able to verify. If anyone can provide any information that may help I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you and sorry if I just wasted your time.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Nice work.
Osr makes a kit. For the 10 rear Cheap too.
I spaced out the front rotors.
Guys I know who had after market wheels on their older zx10s had these made so they could swap the aftermarket front wheel to the new (then 2016) zx10s they upgraded to. The latest gen10 has a wider front hub. (Might be a direct swap for the 12)(will need 320mm rotors for a 10 if you have axial calipers) (the 3 spoke 10 wheel is ugly imo..lol can’t really see it I guess) They work on the older gen 10 wheel which is really a nice looking wheel in imo.
Wood Font Circle Auto part Rim

I am using a 2009 zx10 rear wheel. OSR kit. Zx12 sprocket hub. Zx14 brake caliper bracket and caliper. Zx10 rotor. Had to fiddle with the spacers on the brake side I think. Been awhile since I messed with it. I have the osr zx10 brake stuff but I wanted the caliper on the bottom instead of the top. The 14 and 10 combo is really for looks. And to pass tech.
Pads are half way off the rotor. I have parts for a better underslung set up. Need to work on that.

cmg

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Ps...the 10 rear rotor is the same bolt pattern as the 12. But the circumference of the 10 is quite a bit smaller.

I don’t use a lot of rear brake. So the 10 rotor saves weight. Lol...it’s a sickness.

cmg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply CMG! I looked into the OSR kit I believe after reading about from a post of yours. OSR currently doesn't have it available to order online so I would probably have to contact them and see if they would make it to order.

I completely agree on the 3 spoke. Really ugly though from my reading looks to be about 2lbs lighter for the wheel set. Price wise, the 06-07 and 08-10 are pretty good. 11-15 and 16+ gets a good price bump... at least on ebay. I saw those spacers and figured that could help center the rotors. Was thinking spacing the caliper side too so neither side is spaced too much. Really don't want to drop the money for 320 10r rotors, thus the drill out the bobbins idea... wanna do this as budget friendly as I can.

All the reading and looking left me with assumptions and ideas but I think it's gonna be a bit of trial and error and I appreciate your advice and experience with this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, with the assumption that rotors from the same company have the same carrier size but different bolt patterns.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right, but I know Arashi, for example, uses the same number of bobbins for bother their zx12 and zx10 rotors. So with the assumption that the carrier size is the same it could work. I emailed Arashi with no response. Also emailed a seller on ebay with no response. The other option with the axial is to pay a lot for 320 10r rotors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts