Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
I see the cog was making contact with the fork other than where appropriate.

May i see the mating surface of the cog please?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi hagrid,

Yeah that's correct, i couldn't get third gear, kept jumping out, found damage to the gear dog's and surface of the gears, upon strip down. i will put some photos on here, some are very hard to see the damage on though.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I will assume the fork is no longer square compared to the shift rod. This would explain incomplete dog engagement and subsequent disengagement under load.

Judging by the evident wear pattern this condition has existed for quite some time.

Please include views of the leading edges of the dogs.

Quite informative.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
look's like it has been down the road before my mate got it, found a load of casing material in the sump oil strainer too, looks like it's done its job.

funnily enough the selector rods and forks to the naked eye look straight, i didnt even bother checking them when i saw the damage to the box, i just replaced every thing.

what i did find was though 3rd gear wasnt sliding up and down the shaft as smoothly as it should, 3rd gear (if you didnt know) houses x3 ball bearings which i found were wedged in the slide channels on the output shaft thus not allowing the gear to move freely.

at a guess i think this is caused by wheelys and clutchless gear changes what you think?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Excellent! Very good work young man! The damage is plainly evident and fits the symptoms exactly.

Very good work!

More photos please!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
gear box zx10r

This is what the bottom half of the gear box housing looks like when all components removed.

and another picture of the amount of stuff you have to remove.

beats servicing lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
zx10r gearbox

this is what the output shaft and gears removed looks like

the other photo is of the clutch basket and sub hub clutch bolts assembly, the reason im showing this other than if you havent seen one before is not to do the same mistake as me, i tried to use flat bar with holes drilled in them to locate bolts though the plate and in to the sub hub bolts to loosen off the large nut in the middle of the basket to remove the complete assembly. only to find they are weak as water(lol) and they bend very easily, not a major issue they only couple of quid to replace just slows the job down, in the end i just used the windy gun(should of just done it the first place lol)

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah its the charging rotor,

this is the damage i found when i started the strip down, and removing the side cases. looks like this bike has been down on it's side before my mate got it

1 - 20 of 27 Posts