Kawasaki World banner

zx11 cuts out stalls??

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  pjhipp50 
#1 ·
I've had three of these zx11s all have been great with no problems at all until now. Everything was great the bike ran killer then It sat in the rain for three days. I went out turned the choke on a lil as usual fired right up ran rough smoothed out I turned the choke off then less than a minute later it began to run like it was out of gas then stalled out. Never happened before. I tore it down thinking water, a short, a wet air filter I even pulled out the fuel pump and ran it off a bat. just to b sure it worked. I even changed the gas think in maybe water got in or whatever. Now it fires right up but cuts out when I twist the throttle or call for power. I think I might try reworking the carbs tomorrow but would apreciate any advice I can get. I just don't get it...ran fine ran great three days in the rain under a bike cover and now it won't run but just to idle. Anyone please advise I'm screwed....

#6 ·
decided to tear the carburetors off and rebuild them. can't live with myself just draining the Bowls gotta go all the way if I have to do it at all, however for a quick fix on the road I think draining the carburetor bowls is a good idea and I appreciate all the advice. I think keeping it inside is an awesome idea also. however I have had 7 Z1900s and 3 ZX 11s in the past 30 years and have driven all of them in the rain without an issue ever. I will buy a bike bubble or something similar for the outside because there are 7 months out of the year that I have no choice but to keep it outside. but for now I was hoping someone would just say something like a coil went bad or alternator went bad because it got wet or something like that. just my luck I have a real problem with one now that I don't have tools anymore and retired. this place is awesome and I appreciate all the advice I'll post after I tear out the carbs Test the coils test the alternator blah blah blah bummer. thanks again

#8 ·
rain does not cause one to rebuild a carb once it was running perfect just the other day. Like one said, rain may have entered the key slot in the tank's cap? Water is heavier than water and will displace the gas at the main jet = Poor starting.

A simple drain is all it needs. It is a waste of time let alone damage screw heads working from the bottom and no room. Where just a drain on a cement floor will show droplets of water mixed with the gas.

#9 · (Edited)
UPDATE This Thanksgiving I am particularly thankful for all the members of this site especially the members who advised me to drain the carbs I drained the carbs I flush the tank I flush the fuel filters I put it back together added fresh fuel and it runs fantastic never thought such a simple little problem could be such an issue and a simple fix thanks to all who advised me this site is awesome happy Thanksgiving to all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.