Kawasaki World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1991 ZX1100C model from California with the Evaporative Emission Control System..I live in Oregon and would like to remove the many feet of tubing, canisters and various bits. I am not sure if it will compromise how the bike runs. Is there something I need to plug or replace to make sure the engine is not compromised? Is it as simple as just removing all of the components? Do I need to plug any openings left? See attachment...added C model diagram, can you tell me which item numbers are safe to remove?
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi there:
I have a '92 and I removed everything related to emission control.
You can start by removing the hardware and electrical components.
Concerning the hoses going into the valve cover, there are commercial blank caps being sold to replace the original were the hoses plug in. In my case, I found chromed plugs that I think were meant for furniture or some other purpose that fitted perfect and I glued them with Loctite. Take one of the small covers were the hose used to be connected to Home Depot to their hardware department and look around for a suitable plug that fits the hole and glue it like I did. Any other unused hose should be plugged which is not a big deal because there are plastic plugs for the purpose. I found no ill effects of any kind ever since but better fuel mileage.

Cheers

Jorge

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, I just added a newer diagram of the C model...can you tell me which item numbers are safe to remove. I am looking for plugs to fit. are there rubber caps for the fitting ends available, or should I just make some from a piece of hose and zip tie. thanks again for your help...
I am a newbie mechanic, but trying to learn. I just don't want to make my bike run poorly.

·
Registered
107 Posts
John, the easy way for you is to start backwards from the valve cover out. After you remove the fuel tank and air filter to expose the valve cover, you will see 2 hoses going into a 2 smaller plates bolted to it (valve cover) one on the left and one on the right. Remove the hoses and EVERYTHING connected to them including the electrical wires and components that you must disconnect and leave the wires as is.
After that, remove the screws attaching one of the 2 small plates where the 2 hoses used to be, and take it to Home Depot as I told you and find a METAL plug that fits the hole in it (by metal plug I mean chromed sheet metal). Buy 2 and glue them as I told you (no plastic plugs should go there on account of the high temperature of the valve cover). Any hoses left opened should be plugged with a MALE plug (plastic or anything else no problem).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a million

Thank you very much. I appreciate the advice. I will do this tomorrow when Home Depot opens and my garage gets above freezing....can't wait to get rid of all these tubes and canisters that don't seem to contribute much and are not required in Oregon. I have some new parts on order...master cylinder, disk brake rebuild kits, petrol petcock kit, stainless lines and other bits will try to keep occupied until the good weather.....thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
vacuum lines to carbs

Why is the vacuum line running from the smog equipment to the carbs?
can it be removed and plugged?

·
Registered
107 Posts
To plug or not to plug

Hi John:

The smog components are removed as a unit. Therefore, the vacuum line to the carbs also, together with everything else and an appropiate rubber cap installed.

Jorge

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

Thanks for the info, I bought some tapered plugs and caps. I was just wondering about the function of the vacuum line to the carbs....I guess I don't understand why the carbs need an additional vacuum line. Thanks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks for the info, I bought some tapered plugs and caps. I was just wondering about the function of the vacuum line to the carbs....I guess I don't understand why the carbs need an additional vacuum line. Thanks.
The source of information to the pollution control, comes from the carbs in the form of a vacuum signal being weak or strong to denote the engine's running condition and wether it requires the smog control to be activated. In today's engines, the job is more accurately done by several sensors in a computer controlled system with fuel injection. A main component present in cars and bikes is an oxygen sensor in the exhaust to measure a lean or rich mixture relaying a signal to the computer that adjusts the mixture accordingly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts