Kawasaki World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Previously had issues with synchronizing my carbs, got it figured out and ran great up until 2 weeks ago, have ran in severe cold weather 18deg below 0 and rain and sleet, not to mention 40 plus mile an hour winds. Anyways thought water had got into carbs drained them and ran it again, ran like shit to say the least. I had even flushed the tank twice cleaned everything that pertained to the fuel system. ran my normal 94 octane in her still no luck. I went from 16,217 miles on it to now having almost 42,000 miles on it in less than 18 months. I am religious about taking care of my ride... ANYONE have any ideas ???????

·
Registered
107 Posts
Dear Leathers:

If I read you right you're telling me that you're riding your bike in the middle of the friking winter?. First of all, are you aware that your bike sucks air EXCLUSIVELY through a snorkel part of a sealed Ram Air system and that makes it liable to suck in water and any kind of stuff into the carbs!!. That bike it's not an adventure or a MX bike and therefore was never meant or designed to run under such conditions. Realize those facts first and proceed accordingly. Check the system for water contamination, solve the issue and never do it again period.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Do A, B, C, before doing E, F, G, man.. no need to waste fuel.
Your fouled up.

clean your intake, airbox, octopus tubing, inline valves in the rubber hoses.
clean clean clean your carbs, pilot jets, and baseline your carbs.
It usually takes 2 or 3 times..
Re-tune for your elevation.

A Kawa FSM is a great reference for your work.

Cheers!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Your bike has NO REQUIREMENT for 94 octane fuel... 87 will run best. What pipe is on your bike? I have a very detailed book about the carbs on my ZX11D2.. Every change I ever made was noted and how it helped or hurt the thing.. However the pipe you are using has a huge effect on everything. I never messed with mine while it had stock pipes..

·
Registered
132 Posts
carbs issue poor running

hi,

i have had exact same issues regards to poor running granted this was on a Suzuki bandit 600, none the less still a four cylinder four carb set up. stripped the carbs down cleaned etc rebuilt run very badly, checked ignition system first basics made sure i had all the air, fuel spark( correct color spark) fuel coming from the petcock etc, found out that the carb rubber diaphragms that lift the needle jet when you turn the throttle due to vacuum had deteriorated, checked visually no signs of holes , tears rips etc, plus on old bike if they are original when you expose them to atmosphere they can expand/shrink, you go to build the carbs back up same thing happens due to excessive air getting past the top of the cap on the carbs. replaced the diaphragms and solved the problem whilst i was on replaced the needles too make sure the needles are set at the correct position( as there are grooves on the needles with a c-clip to set the height, set incorrectly after rebuild gives the same issues too .

kind regards mike.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Your bike has NO REQUIREMENT for 94 octane fuel... 87 will run best. What pipe is on your bike? I have a very detailed book about the carbs on my ZX11D2.. Every change I ever made was noted and how it helped or hurt the thing.. However the pipe you are using has a huge effect on everything. I never messed with mine while it had stock pipes..
my bike is all stock down to the pipes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Holy McFuck! 18 degrees below zero fahrenheit?!

I bet there's engine puss all over the place.
yes 18 below zero, the week before last it was 27deg below zero yes Fahrenheit with wind chill factored in. no engine compartment and bike still keep it clean even during winter...This is my 3rd year running in the winter.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I run 94 octane during winter time only to help aid in keeping engine warm along with blocking up radiator especially during the 32 mile ride into work, I can maintain a constant temp on the gauge, which is half way between start of being warm to the almost halfway. never even had this problem on my 94 ZX9R after I rebuilt the carbs and they too were stock..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dear Leathers:

If I read you right you're telling me that you're riding your bike in the middle of the friking winter?. First of all, are you aware that your bike sucks air EXCLUSIVELY through a snorkel part of a sealed Ram Air system and that makes it liable to suck in water and any kind of stuff into the carbs!!. That bike it's not an adventure or a MX bike and therefore was never meant or designed to run under such conditions. Realize those facts first and proceed accordingly. Check the system for water contamination, solve the issue and never do it again period.
I have found the problem...finally, thing about it was a very simple fix that was overlooked...carbs re-synched and runs like rapped ape so to speak.. carbs were very clean inside. pilot screw O-rings sucking air.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hi,

i have had exact same issues regards to poor running granted this was on a Suzuki bandit 600, none the less still a four cylinder four carb set up. stripped the carbs down cleaned etc rebuilt run very badly, checked ignition system first basics made sure i had all the air, fuel spark( correct color spark) fuel coming from the petcock etc, found out that the carb rubber diaphragms that lift the needle jet when you turn the throttle due to vacuum had deteriorated, checked visually no signs of holes , tears rips etc, plus on old bike if they are original when you expose them to atmosphere they can expand/shrink, you go to build the carbs back up same thing happens due to excessive air getting past the top of the cap on the carbs. replaced the diaphragms and solved the problem whilst i was on replaced the needles too make sure the needles are set at the correct position( as there are grooves on the needles with a c-clip to set the height, set incorrectly after rebuild gives the same issues too .

kind regards mike.
fuel mixture screw o-rings sucking in air...carbs were very clean runs sweet.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks for letting me know what you did to remedy your issue im pleased your back up and running properly,

In all the carbs Ive stripped and rebuilt Ive never heard of the mixture screw o-rings fail, it's not that they don't (i know rubber perishes over time etc) it's just Ive never heard of them failing before , but it's one to remember.

p.s how did you find out that it was the o-rings what was the indications

and what made you suspect these?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts