Kawasaki World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a quick question,

how many crank triggers (chopper wheel) did they make for the zx12?

many thanks

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
If you mean the timing rotor on the end of the crank, then just the one for all years.

You Searched for: 21007-1378
Year Make Model Group Part Desc.
2000 Kawasaki ZX-12R Ignition System ROTOR
2002 Kawasaki ZX-12R Ignition System ROTOR
2003 Kawasaki ZX-12R Ignition System ROTOR
2004 Kawasaki ZX-12R Ignition System ROTOR
2005 Kawasaki ZX-12R Ignition System ROTOR

Just noticed that Factory Pro http://www.factorypro.com/ do 2 +4 degree timing rotors, I don't know what the difference is though. Send them an email.
But they do work well if your fuel is reliable and good quality.
I've not got round to fitting mine yet, even though its only a 5 minute job.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Been doing some reading and can't find much on the crank timing rotor and ECU.

But here is a picture of the one on my B4 and the factory pro +4 I've not fitted yet.

It could be 8 pionter A1 to B2 and 24 pointer B3 to B6

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your prompt replies.
I have a problem

With the 8 tooth wheel, the spark on #1 fires at 11o'clock (9 o'clock is
The split in the cases eg tdc)

And with the 24 tooth it fires at 9.30.

And the engine won't start.
Any ideas, I'm lost

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
OK, which model 12 do you have?

The ECU will only work with the correct timing rotor, as it counts the pulses, to many, it won't work, to few, it wont work.

Cam Position Sensor gives it the reference point, so the ECU can calculate where and when to trigger a coil.
So the rotor tooth and sensor pick with relation to top dead centre may well be very different.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys.
So first off the engine is mounted in a LMP style sports car

When I bought the car the engine was standard, with an 8 tone wheel
So I am assuming it was a pre 04 engine.
I also got a load of engine spares with the car, so I sent the spares to
An engine builder and he built me a big bore engine 1287cc with webcams
Etc

And the tone wheel in that engine was a 24 tooth. So when I mounted the new engine
Into the race car, it doesn't start. And is firing in the incorrect position, see above post

I have tried both tone wheel options and both cam trigger options but with no
Success.

The 24 tooth wheel is firing closest to tdc, so if I modify the tone wheel pickup
To retard the timing so it fires at tdc, do u think it will start

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I'm sure some time ago someone on here mentioned that the Cam Shaft timing lobe was in a different rotational position between early and late model 12's and they put pictures up showing the difference, I din't copy the pictures for reference sorry, but there on here somewhere.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Kawi US online parts shows 2 types only

21007-1378 8 tang tone wheel A1 thru B2, 16bit ECU

21007-1419 24 tang tone wheel B3, B4, 32bit ECU and likely B5 (why change)

Don't know where the pinned 8 tang tone wheel came from, doesn't really make sense to me as the aftermarket pegs the B3 and B4 as being the same.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
how many crank triggers (chopper wheel) did they make for the zx12?
They made 2. I checked for a pin and after chasing 6 model years I may have hit another model scrolling for the 12, never looked up to cross reference. So weedy has it right. My mistake.

With the 8 tooth wheel, the spark on #1 fires at 11o'clock... And with the 24 tooth it fires at 9.30.
This sprocket looks preset to what degree... 4? I don't think it's the tone wheel change? Though the starter motor is moving the same speed, full advance is full advance after so many rpm. If say the number is 4 degrees advanced it still should start.

And the engine won't start.
Any ideas, I'm lost
1. What is the compression? Get that out of the way or chase your tail with the list below.
2. What is the spark doing? Well, each time you swap tone wheels, do you have spark? That's out of the way.
3. What is in the tank? Are we out of gas? As simple as the basics are, do we have gas?

Now for the computer side of the first fundamental round.

A. Does the cam have a cam trigger for the cam sensor? Seems like it, if it keeps sparking as you say. I assume you have a timing light to see it move at those clock positions?

B. What is the fuel pressure? The pump's psi runs in the 40's numbers, say mid to low. So besides having gas, having pressure, having no clue how long the car sat, have we been smelling gas all this time on start up? Does the gas smell stale to you, say you poke a nose in the gas tank? Injectors clogged?

C. Are we back to square one? You have a car w/engine; never heard it run; never checked compression before you bought it; having no spark issues [using both tone wheels]; a car sitting how long without the injectors being cleaned for storage: like you would a carb or she gums up, right?

D. There are too many unknowns. Clear the list... cough... Guess which one is first? :thumbup: Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts