Kawasaki World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm hoping somebody can help me with this. I have a 2000 ZX12R. I've been giving it an uplift and now my speedo and tacho have stopped working. I've bought a replacement dash/cluster and still the same problem. Also power is getting to the dash OK because all the warning lights like neutral and indicators still work. The engine starts fine But the taco doesn't sweep when you turn the Ignition on. Can't understand it and a problem with both speedo and tacho.
Has anyone come across this before and any ideas what the problem might be. Many thanks in advance for any advice. Andy

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I'm fairly sure the ground for both of these is the Black/blue wire from the clocks through the gear position switch plug and then on the Black wire to engine ground.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm fairly sure the ground for both of these is the Black/blue wire from the clocks through the gear position switch plug and then on the Black wire to engine ground.
Great thanks. I take it you feel this is an earth problem?
I will have a look for the black/blue wire and check its screwed down properly.
Cheer
Andy

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Yeah, they normally have a different earth for the tacho than for other indications.
Don't forget the wire colour changes from Black/blue to just Black after the gear position selector plug.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great thanks NinjaYorkie. I have had a look and will dissemble everything tomorrow to see if I can sort it. not much room for my hands down there. LOL

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow That did the trick and my clocks are now working perfectly. So grateful for the steer and full of admiration of your knowledge to have been able to diagnose that. I ended up running a new earth cable from the gear switch to the connector under the tank.
Now that the dash is working properly I notice that the fuel guage is not working properly (there's always something). Its showing nearly empty even though the tank is nearly full. Any ideas what that could be.
So chuffed with the fix you helped me with and thanks again. Andy

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I know you've put another earth wire in, but what was the problem with the original one as we don't want it causing problems with other wires.

Fuel level sensor plug under the tank has a Black/yellow earth wire and a White/yellow wire that goes up to the clocks.
Now I'm only guessing here as to whether the level arm can get stuck on the inside of the tank and whether you can poke it with a stick from the tank filler, but probably worth a quick look and try.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The earth wire looked like it had previous had some attention. When I pulled it came straight through so had been cut at some point. Any wire left in the loom has no connection going to it so shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks for the tip on the fuel guage I will try that now.
Thanks again

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a quick question, why does the ZX12 have a gear selector sensor. I dont see a display to show what gear I am in so not sure of the purpose of this.
Thanks
Andy

·
Super Moderator
1,284 Posts
For ecu mapping per gear

1 - 11 of 11 Posts