Kawasaki World banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope someone here might be able to help me or atleast guide me on my problem

My balancer shaft came loose a couple of days ago, and i was wondering is there something i can do, i was asking a couple of shops for repairs and the last one told me 1500-2500e and i couldnt believe it.

The balancer shaft is not completely out, only like 1cm, as the bolt that holds it in dissapeared.

If someone has any experience, can i get the shaft back in without opening the engine? And a friend of mine told me he did it with just opening the oil pan, but the manual says to split the crankcase.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive wheel system Machine

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Have you tried pushing it back in ?

If you mark the screw driver slot with the locking arm, then loosen the pinch lock bolt . Turn the slotted shaft clockwise a half a turn. That will created a little “slack” . See if the shaft will slide back in. If it does then rotate the slotted shaft counter clockwise to your mark. Then bolt the arm back to the case. To be sure everything is good with the adjustment, follow the manual procedure.

cmg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried pushing it back in ?

If you mark the screw driver slot with the locking arm, then loosen the pinch lock bolt . Turn the slotted shaft clockwise a half a turn. That will created a little “slack” . See if the shaft will slide back in. If it does then rotate the slotted shaft counter clockwise to your mark. Then bolt the arm back to the case. To be sure everything is good with the adjustment, follow the manual procedure.

cmg
I tried pushing it, it went in a little bit, i tried turning it and pushing again, but it didnt go all the way in and i was afraid to use too much force. I was aftaid that if it was misaligned i would end up messing something up, even tho i doubt i could do harm with only my hands

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Loosening the pinch bolt and rotating the shaft clockwise moves the balancer gear away from the crankshaft gear. This may give you the wiggle room you need to slide it in. Rotating the shaft counter clockwise moves the balancer gear back to the crankshaft gear. That’s how it is adjusted.
This process is in the manual.
Your not going to hurt anything by trying this.
The only other option is to split the case.

cmg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Loosening the pinch bolt and rotating the shaft clockwise moves the balancer gear away from the crankshaft gear. This may give you the wiggle room you need to slide it in. Rotating the shaft counter clockwise moves the balancer gear back to the crankshaft gear. That’s how it is adjusted.
This process is in the manual.
Your not going to hurt anything by trying this.
The only other option is to split the case.

cmg
Ill have to try it again before splitting the case, the problem i had was that it went in like 2mm with the marker down towards the pan and after that it didnt move at all, and i assumed that the adjusting is done when its all the way in? I might try to push it in the first 2mm then try to rotate it again and push it. the manual tells that it should be running when adjusting but i was afraid that if theyre misaligned and its not properly in before running the engine it might mess up something in there.

Also apologies for my poor grammar.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Don’t start the engine. The reason you want to loosen the pinch bolt is so you can rotate the shaft clockwise. This will relax the balance gear away from the crankshaft gear. As I said previous, it might give you the space to slide the shaft into its correct position. Once it is in, then you can follow the directions in the manual.

As long as you don’t pull the shaft out all the way, the two gears should be lined up properly.

cmg

·
Registered
351 Posts
Since the bolt from the lever is out why can't you turn the shaft clockwise using the lever without having to loosen the pinch bolt? The lever has already let the shaft turn counterclockwise which is jamming it tighter against the gears making it harder to slide back in!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since the bolt from the lever is out why can't you turn the shaft clockwise using the lever without having to loosen the pinch bolt? The lever has already let the shaft turn counterclockwise which is jamming it tighter against the gears making it harder to slide back in!
Hmm ill have to try it but im kind of afraid using too much force trying to turn it with the lever, i tried without the lever but couldnt get a proper grip and also then it just felt wrong trying to force it clockwise, looking at the diagrams there really shouldnt be anything i could break, except maybe the gears?

Also im slow on progress since im doing a bathroom renovation at the same time 😅 but i tried for like half an hour to get it back in by rotating it without using the lever but i got nowhere, ill have to try it with the lever next and hope i dont break any gears in there

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update;

Got the oil pan off, aligned the balancer weight with the lower crankcase mark, but i still cant take the balancer shaft out and it only goes a littleway in the slot that its supposed to go, will try to wiggle it more tomorrow, and see if i can get it in or out, either will do now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts