Kawasaki World banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Thought id post up a few pictures of changing my fork seals (due to leaking and part of a major service)

They might also come in handy for those who were thinking of buying a fork spring compressor (highly recommended), and some photos of how I used it.

In my opinion these must be the easiest forks seals I’ve changed so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice job Philips. I am going to be doing my A1 fork seals in the next month. I’m unsure of what parts to order though if you have any advice. I see the fork seal listed as well as well as an oil seal...

I’ve never done this specific job but am a mechanic by trade, just 18 willers though. Any advice is appreciated thanks man and good job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,299 Posts
Fork oil seal
Fork dust seal
Bottom copper washer
Part numbers are in the pic

Reactions: Kawiparamedic

·
Registered
221 Posts
Cheers!

Just a quick question... -Don´t the 2000 forks have any bronz? bushings at the end of the stanchions??

If they do? Any one have a part number for them? I´m gonna do a total fork rebuild in the near future...

Thanks!
/Tom

·
Registered
18 Posts
Cheers!

Just a quick question... -Don´t the 2000 forks have any bronz? bushings at the end of the stanchions??

If they do? Any one have a part number for them? I´m gonna do a total fork rebuild in the near future...

Thanks!

/Tom

Mefirst, babbits online has great diagrams for all of the zx12r models but not very good part descriptions...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
221 Posts
Mcbuckets13***

Thanks for the info. But that was not what I really was asking about. I was wondering about the fork stanchions and that they don't have any bushings, most forks have bushings on the top end of the stanchion. I was surprised that the 2000 model forks stanchions do not have them. And further if there is a bushing, bushings typically found on the stanchion, mounted to the fork cartridge itself???? There was no picture of the OEM cartridge... Then again Im gonna be using Maxton cartridges for my rebuild, so... But a picture of the OEM cartridges would have been interesting to see what they actually look like...

/Tom >:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just done one of mine.
The most easyest way of doing it is to wizz the Allen bolt out of the bottom of the fork leg. Job done. :x
But you do need a good compressor as I have a home one but didn't have enough puff in to wizz it out!:crying:
Once that is out take the spring clip out under the dust seal & pop the seal out & push the new one in spring clip back in, dust seal , pour oil back in , wizz the Allen bolt back in & your done. :smile2:
(thanks to Dale Williams for back up info) :wink2:
(ps , I forgot to take pictures till it was too late! )

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi.

Digging this up because i need to do the same, and also need to changed the chrome stanchions because they are bent.

It's a 2005 fork with radial mounts so worth saving.

I watched a very good video on youtube that showed how easy it is to disassemble these forks. They are basically built like a RWU fork.

However, despite my impact gun, the lower screw will not come out, the fork internals are rotating with it.

How can i sort that out without damaging anything ?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
The screw in the bottom is the easiest way. Take them to your local mechanic shop and have them crack it loose for ya. Probably some loc-tite on them shits.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well i have a good enough Makita impact gun that I've always made good use of on previous fork jobs.

But here for some reason the internals were wanting to spin with the nut

However, seeing that i am rebuilding this fork with new tubes i did it my way, although i probably won't write a tutorial :ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts