Kawasaki World banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm actually looking to talk to anyone that might know what happened with the problem bike in this post:
I cant DM the owner so was hoping someone might know him or can figure out a way to find out.
We have a 2005 ZX12R with the exact same issue/symptoms. Just got it towed back yesterday. I'm assuming it is a rectifier overcharge situation but was thinking that it could possibly be a relay malfunction? So I just wanted to see if we could find out what his problem ended up being caused by.
definitely not a ECU problem that's the symptom.
Not a wire harness problem there is no chaffing or signs of wear excess heat etc..
If you have some insight Id love to hear it!
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Resistance check all the stick coils, but remember that your looking for a low resistance on one of the windings so don't forget to reduce the meter setting to monitor that one, and check the meter resistance before each check so you know what to subtract if your meter does not automatically do this.
My cheap meter gives 0.5 Ohms so when I'm checking for a low resistance I know to subtract this.
Edit I've put the PDF picture below rather than a phone picture.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Compare all 4 stick coils, if any of the low resistance readings is low, change that stick coil.
The ECU puts earth on that coil side for a split second, but because its a winding it should not affect the ECU, but if it's damaged, shorted inside it can trash an ECU by dumping Battery voltage straight into it.
Unfortunately, sometimes the stick coils only fail when they get hot. Check the stick coils for signs of melting/heat damage.

Reactions: color me gone

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I think Don had the wire loom with the two plugs at the ecu wear through the wires on the under side. Was out of sight until a more aggressive search was conducted. Also is the diagnostic port in the tail on the clutch side of the bike in good order? Does the ignition switch and immobilizer check out ?

cmg

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Correct!
The loom had a couple of frayed, opened spots just where it bends from the ecu This was causing one of the coils to not fire up, and the fuel pump not to prime, took ages to realise what had happened! Good memory Henry!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts