Kawasaki World banner

Zx12r ecu flash

25K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  KZScott 
#1 ·
Hi there all im new to the forum but trying to find someone in the UK that can flash my zx12r a2 ecu sick of buying crappy power commanders had 3 upto now and they all die cheap crap so wanting a better solution any help greatly appreciated

#4 ·
Most PC3's are getting pretty long in the tooth and it's pretty common for them to start dying off. What year ZX do you have? That makes some difference. Also, ping KZScott, he's in Canada, but he's been in contact with "the guy" who originally helped Hack these early model ECU's for editing.

#8 ·
ive flashed two 2000 zx12 ecus now. so far im pretty sure i can do the 00 and 01. note sure on 02 03 yet

#10 · (Edited)
I can increase the rev limit, change the fuel maps, change the ign timing to whatever you want, adjust the coil dwell time if you have a turbo or nitrous bike and need a stronger spark, adjust the ram air compensation if you have a big motor that leans out up top for a lsr run, adjust the warm up and acceleration enrichment for larger inj, and theres a few things that are there that im not going to touch as i dont know exactly what they do yet. and as an added bonus, the ecus are basically programmed with 2 sets of everything and switch between map 0 or map 1 based on if a wire is jumpered in an unused connector in the tail, so it can be totally stock in one setting and then have the modified conditions used if the wires are joined (and the bike shut off and restarted)

oh and it doesnt need to be cut open, i did it by using some "unused" pins on the ecu

Reactions: GILBY and smiffy
#13 ·
the how to is mail me the ecu and a tell me what you want done ;)

Reactions: OutlawZX12R
#18 ·
ZX12R 16bit ECU reflash

The original programming interface discovered by RidgeRacer involved "notching" the ECU to access the processor's BDM port. A $500 BDM tool was then used to read or reprogram the flash memory. Psyche and RhinoPower later developed a cheaper DIY parallel port BDM tool, but that also required cutting into the ECU.

Last fall we discovered that the ZX-12R (21175-10xx) Denso ECUs could also be read and programmed via an OBD (k-line) port on ECU pin 31, so we no longer had to cut into the ECU. Interfacing the OBD (k-line) to a computer USB port is done with a VAG-COM KKL (CH340 chipset) OBD2 cable, but you have to make an adapter to connect the cable to the correct ECU pins and an external regulated 12VDC power supply.

A Flash tool software package is then used to communicate with the ECU for reading and reflashing. The process for making modifications to your ECU's 96k bin file hasn't changed and an editor (like RomRaider) and definitions for your ECU model are still required. The Flash tool software also allows you to read the ECUs NVram, where the (yoshbox/Teka) fuel trim settings are stored.

That being said, if you're just looking to tune your fuel maps following some basic mods, get a Power Commander. If you're into more serious mods and need to change rev limits, TRE, MSO/MS1 maps, ignition timing etc. then you want a reflash. Just bear in mind that you can only reflash an ECU a few hundred times and that some ECUs can't be reflashed at all.

If you're still interested reflashing your own ECU, you should first get the OBD cable, build an adaptor and try reading your ECU. After that you can install RomRaider with your definitions to see what modifications you can make to your ECU. Then if everything goes well, you can decide if you want to get a flash/erase license.

You can find all the technical info you need here:
https://sites.google.com/site/mrhollywoodk3/home/other-16bit-ecus/kawasaki

mr_hollywood@cogeco.ca

#19 ·
The original programming interface discovered by RidgeRacer involved "notching" the ECU to access the processor's BDM port. A $500 BDM tool was then used to read or reprogram the flash memory. Psyche and RhinoPower later developed a cheaper DIY parallel port BDM tool, but that also required cutting into the ECU.

Last fall we discovered that the ZX-12R (21175-10xx) Denso ECUs could also be read and programmed via an OBD (k-line) port on ECU pin 31, so we no longer had to cut into the ECU. Interfacing the OBD (k-line) to a computer USB port is done with a VAG-COM KKL (CH340 chipset) OBD2 cable, but you have to make an adapter to connect the cable to the correct ECU pins and an external regulated 12VDC power supply.

A Flash tool software package is then used to communicate with the ECU for reading and reflashing. The process for making modifications to your ECU's 96k bin file hasn't changed and an editor (like RomRaider) and definitions for your ECU model are still required. The Flash tool software also allows you to read the ECUs NVram, where the (yoshbox/Teka) fuel trim settings are stored.

That being said, if you're just looking to tune your fuel maps following some basic mods, get a Power Commander. If you're into more serious mods and need to change rev limits, TRE, MSO/MS1 maps, ignition timing etc. then you want a reflash. Just bear in mind that you can only reflash an ECU a few hundred times and that some ECUs can't be reflashed at all.

If you're still interested reflashing your own ECU, you should first get the OBD cable, build an adaptor and try reading your ECU. After that you can install RomRaider with your definitions to see what modifications you can make to your ECU. Then if everything goes well, you can decide if you want to get a flash/erase license.

You can find all the technical info you need here:
https://sites.google.com/site/mrhollywoodk3/home/other-16bit-ecus/kawasaki

mr_hollywood@cogeco.ca
Got to admire you guys you certainly know your stuff....guess everyone to their own, all the years people have been milling their ECU's then you find the Holy Grail of doing the flash without the cut....think someone already does the 32bit ECU's without chopping ?

#20 ·
ya the 04 05 32 bit can be done with woolich, be nice if some guys gave them some competition to lower the cost

#21 ·
Going to bump an old thread here. So there were rumors that the 2000 zx12r was limited as well. It was said that after the press test bike dumped a rod and the agreement on speed, they limited the 2000 as well. That is why it never hit closer to 200.

Any truth to that and are the 2000 ecus locked or limited?

#22 ·
There are no intentional added limitations in a 2000 ecu that prevents a bone stock 12 from doing 200mph. Just not going to get there.

If you add a good pipe, v-stacks, air filters, a little timing, lower it. Good conditions and a rider that has a great tuck. You can get real close to 200. If not get it. With a stock ecu.

18/46 and a 200/50 at 10,500 is only good for about 185mph. So going to need some gearing and or rpm increase.

If you consider 10,500 a ecu limiter then I guess that’s fair.

cmg

#28 ·
I wear work clothes usually 7 days a week lol

#30 ·
yes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.