Kawasaki World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there
I am Curious if anyone on here has changed the speedometer and Tachometer gauges on their ZX12R for a more Modern Digital one and if so what one have they used?
I have a very difficult time seeing the speedometer on my cluster the Tachometer isn't much of an issue but between the numbers bunched up and the Orange lighting backing it
I was curious if anyone has tried anything else.
I see there are some decent looking replacement gauges just white plastic covers they sell on eBay those looked interesting
if anyone has used any of those I would like to see some photos or see what results they may have had
I've also seen a couple nice digital like the koso RX 2 I believe it's called an analog tachometer with digital speedometer next to it
just trying to find out if anyone had any luck putting these on if anyone's intrested in sharing any information I would be very intrested in hearing how it worked out thank you so much

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually like the look of it but I have a difficult time seeing it .
Mine is a 190 MPH
I have seen the white gauges sold on Ebay and I really like those.
Also the orange back light isn't nearly bright enough on mine.
Just looking to see if anyone has tried any others to compare that's all

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I'd really am looking for is to replace with white glow gauges
But having a HARD time finding them in MP
I actually like the look of it but I have a difficult time seeing it .
Mine is a 190 MPH
I have seen the white gauges sold on Ebay and I really like those.
Also the orange back light isn't nearly bright enough on mine.
Just looking to see if anyone has tried any others to compare that's all

·
Registered
327 Posts
What's hard about seeing it Cal? Are you saying the lighting, the size, what part?

You can change the lighting easily by swapping LEDs. I'll wait to comment further until I understand what you're having trouble with.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello my friend I was having a difficult time seeing the speedometer both the size of the numbers and the color that Orange does Not Work for me.
But like the last gentleman said it is a nice gauge cluster I actually do like it so what I ended up doing was finding a company that made at the white Glow gauges so looks like a little bit larger numbers on their and the back lighting is blue.
it ends up my brother had the exact same ones in his Kawasaki
I did not realize it and they looked really nice so I ordered a set of those and I'm hoping when they come in that it will end up looking good and being a little more functional for me when I get them.
I have a friend who replaced his with I believe it's a Koso RX 2 OR 4 I am NOT Exactly sure but something along those lines digital dashboard
It has an Analog Tach and digital speedo
it's nice and all very modern like the new bikes have.
But I don't want to go all digital like he did I like the older style I like the look to it hopefully this will resolve my problem I'll have to wait and see when I get them
Sorry VERY LONG POST
I didn't explain much in my 1st one
But I'm open to ideas I would still like to change the lighting over the digital area that hold the clock I believe that is just an Orange filter in there if I'm not mistaken

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yea, I never had any issue seeing the gauges. I think many people are just used to digital. I can see my gauges very well. You can change the LED lights in the cluster to be any color you like if you don't like the orange/red color.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yea, I never had any issue seeing the gauges. I think many people are just used to digital. I can see my gauges very well. You can change the LED lights in the cluster to be any color you like if you don't like the orange/red color.
I have a bulb out on my speedo, not looking forward to that task. There is a youtube on it and the guy says he left out the 3rd screw holding the unit. Not an option! No one has the bulbs in stock so I am not doing it yet but is on my list of things to do.
Hard to tell my speed at night as is.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's about night vision, visual discrimination - white lettering on a black background is the pits - and, yeh, getting older. Did the LED switch on my FJR 1300, dealer wanted $$ for incandescent oem's, but found the same bulb base in much brighter LEDs, different colors, from a place called SuperBrightLEDs online at way less - and they never burn out. Problem solved.

Sadly, RSR parts quit making the Illumiglo gauge face kits for the ZX12R A-C about six years ago, but you might be able to find some with google search. Those were a electro-luminescent overlay with black numbers on a switchable bright blue or green gauge face background color and brightness control. During the day they looked white; at night the whole gauge face glowed. Painted the red needle black. It took steady hands and patience to install, but seeing them clearly at night was not a problem. And they look really trick. Had them on my '02 12R and found a similar set (BlueGauges.com) for my '05 a couple years ago. Found the exact RSR color/dimmer switch from somewhere in China

ROGERC, I have some 190mph white adhesive backed gauge faces (black numbers) overlays just gathering dust that might work for you if you want them. You would still have to install them; you might as well put in some whatever color LEDs you like while you have the clocks apart. You only pay for the postage. Message me by email through this forum if you want them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts