Kawasaki World banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Kawasaki zx12r 2003
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Today I got my bike back from a fork seal change and new head head bearings. Tbh, head bearings were ok but had a little knock/slack under break only so I thought to get them changed only because there still on the originals. Everything went well but that slight bearing knock under breaking is still there. The guys tightened the head stem a little extra but the knock is still there. This is the reason I wanted them replaced in the first place. Is this normal for the zx12? All balls bearings were used
Thanks,

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
It may not be the head bearings but the pads in the calipers grabbing the disc and then the pads getting lifted into the top of the caliper and causing it to click.

·
Registered
Kawasaki zx12r 2003
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It definitely coming from the head. I tested it in my garage with no surrounding noise. Even placed my left hand in the centre of the triple clamp to feel the clunk.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I changed out the OEM bearings before the start of season 2020. I bought the bearing set (taperd roller) through Ebay. If my memory serves me correct, the set was either KOYO or SKS, I believe KOYO. I am happy how it turned out, even though the steering felt a little to tight the first time around. Unbolted and retightened everything and since then it´s been perfect.

FWIW.. Tightening the headstem can be a bit time consuming. You need to get it correct (there is no real set torque, it´s all feel) and tightening the steering stem with the front wheel in the air, the steering usually feels to tight when the front wheel is back on the ground.. atleast that was how it was when I did it...

But Ninjayorkie is also correct, the front brakes may cause issues that one would think are steering stem related..

Hope it all works out for you and your bike..

/Tom 🤘

·
Registered
Kawasaki zx12r 2003
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I changed out the OEM bearings before the start of season 2020. I bought the bearing set (taperd roller) through Ebay. If my memory serves me correct, the set was either KOYO or SKS, I believe KOYO. I am happy how it turned out, even though the steering felt a little to tight the first time around. Unbolted and retightened everything and since then it´s been perfect.

FWIW.. Tightening the headstem can be a bit time consuming. You need to get it correct (there is no real set torque, it´s all feel) and tightening the steering stem with the front wheel in the air, the steering usually feels to tight when the front wheel is back on the ground.. atleast that was how it was when I did it...

But Ninjayorkie is also correct, the front brakes may cause issues that one would think are steering stem related..

Hope it all works out for you and your bike..

/Tom 🤘
Thanks mate. I had it tightened a little further which tightened the steering a little and it seems ok. There is no movement or knocks over bumps so Im happy with it.

·
Super Moderator
1,303 Posts
It can be tricky.. but in my experience if you tighten them right up to 100 ft-lb, then loosen them off, then rerighten just enough so there's no play, then they should be ok.
No wasn't a ZX12, was an old Yamaha but same brand of bearings and similar feeling when I first installed them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts