Kawasaki World banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a nut to crack. I’m hoping to get an Akrapovic titanium system for the ZX12R but the system is no longer available. So what to do? I put two links there and if you open them side by side you are able to compare the two systems easy.

I was doing some research and because it might be difficult to get a ZX12R titanium system I looked at the ZX14R (S-K14RFT2T-RC) system. It looks very much the same on angles and physical size. The angle that fits to the cylinder head looks identical. I have a feeling that ZX14R headers (H-K14R1T) have little bit bigger pipes but looking at the fitting and flange (P-FY25) with the inner sleeve (P-2) looks like that has been taken care of. It appears that ZX12R has flared headers (H-K12RT1) that take different fittings. The collector set (C-K14R2T) on ZX14R looks like an easy place to make adjustment to the length. The linkpipe (L-K14R1T) has couple of brackets that ZX12R don’t need and those can be removed and polished and it also most likely needs one or two small changes to the angles but it looks very close. The 4-2-1 also might be better than 4-1 that the ZX12R system (S-K12RFT1T-C) has. It does look like the radiator is spaced the same and clears. The oil filter also seems to be no problem. The ZX14R system also has plug for a sensor to make tuning easier.

It all depends if the ZX14R headers (H-K14R1T) fit the cylinder head, clears the radiator and oil filter. For the fairings the ZX14R system looks OK.
ZX12R and ZX14R engines are very closely related and I would image that the exhaust on the cylinder head is spaced apart the same.

I see this as a very good possibility to work. I can see that the ZX14R headers do have by looking at the appearance better flow. That seems to be a good thing but also the design is different 4-2-1. It could be even better design than their ZX12R design 4-1.

So I need your expertise people to see if this is possible. Has anyone used ZX14R headers on a ZX12R?

Thanks

ZX14R (S-K14RFT2T-RC) system.

http://www.holtugmc.dk/images/uds/Akrapovic-filer/Kawasaki ZZR1400 2008 race + evo.pdf

ZX12R (S-K12RFT1T-C) system.

http://shop.jamparts.com/pdf/KA_ZX12R_00-_Evo+Rac.pdf

Attachments

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Try to hit up Color Me Gone... I think I recall him saying at one point he was comparing a ZX14 and ZX12R system, and the ZX14 did in fact bolt up to ZX12R. I think he was looking at a sidewinder system though, so clearances around the oil pan/filter might have been different.

But I think if things are close, you sound like the type of guy that could figure out how to make it work.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try to hit up Color Me Gone... I think I recall him saying at one point he was comparing a ZX14 and ZX12R system, and the ZX14 did in fact bolt up to ZX12R. I think he was looking at a sidewinder system though, so clearances around the oil pan/filter might have been different.

But I think if things are close, you sound like the type of guy that could figure out how to make it work.
That is a good news. I can't really see any other problems than bolting to ZX12R but still want to be sure. I haven't used this site much so I don't really know how to contact people here or search them.

The physical size of the two engines are almost identical. I don't think that I would be too far off to say that ZX14R is an evolution of the ZX12R.

I still want to know the tolerance to the radiator if it has changed if any. It is starting to sound better all the time. Looks like a strait bolt on with very little altering.

Thanks Hibs your the man.)))

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check measurements. It's an exhaust tuned to an R1, not a ZX12R. It may bolt up, but looks and functionality are 2 different things. You'll either get better performance, or no improvement/hurt performance....

bong den led - den led thanh ray
I do understand this. I also know that with sharp bends you reduce the flow. ZX14R system seems to be better shaped. Akrapovic says that ZX12R system just by itself brings 17hp to a stock bike. Maybe the exhaust is tuned for the stock bike but maybe if I put PCV in to the game and tune the ZX14R system to the bike the gain is more than I would get from ZX12R system with the PCV. But in any case anything is better than the stock.)) I have stared the two systems a long time and the main thing is 4-2-1 on the ZX14R and better shape. I'm pretty sure that the ZX14R system has much better flow so to get the right back pressure I need to choose the muffler well and do more research what is needed and also to take in count PCV and jetting. It all changes the game anyway. Because I'm choosing to do the jets as well and look for more power in 200hp from the rear wheel I have a feeling that the ZX14R exhaust will work better. I could be wrong but I won't know till I try.)

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
That is a good news. I can't really see any other problems than bolting to ZX12R but still want to be sure. I haven't used this site much so I don't really know how to contact people here or search them.

The physical size of the two engines are almost identical. I don't think that I would be too far off to say that ZX14R is an evolution of the ZX12R.

I still want to know the tolerance to the radiator if it has changed if any. It is starting to sound better all the time. Looks like a strait bolt on with very little altering.

Thanks Hibs your the man.)))
I'll shoot him a message and have him check this thread.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
A Brocks Performance Sidewinder for a ZX14 does bolt up to a 12. #1 head pipe is in the wrong position for the left side fairing. Also very tight on the oil filter.
The rest of the SW was in the right position. A good fabricator could rearrange #1.

I don't know if a 4-2-1 will fit the oil pan and exit in the right spot. If someone wants to send me a 14 pipe, I have a mock up 12 set up right now and can test fit. I also have a friend who has welded my ti arata system. He is a artist.

cmg

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A Brocks Performance Sidewinder for a ZX14 does bolt up to a 12. #1 head pipe is in the wrong position for the left side fairing. Also very tight on the oil filter.
The rest of the SW was in the right position. A good fabricator could rearrange #1.

I don't know if a 4-2-1 will fit the oil pan and exit in the right spot. If someone wants to send me a 14 pipe, I have a mock up 12 set up right now and can test fit. I also have a friend who has welded my ti arata system. He is a artist.

cmg
Could you please take a measurement from the top of the exhaust opening from the cylinder head to the lowest point on the oil pan (metric so I understand)? Then I just need someone with a ZX14 to do the same so we can judge the length of the header pipes. They are so close and because the ZX14 has little fatter exhaust it is really hard to judge from the pictures against ZX12R's skinnier pipes. Also if anyone has a good picture of the ZX14 oil filter would help too. ZX14 seem to have a bigger filter but I haven't seen a good picture to be sure. I found a picture of a ZX12R "street fighter" with ZX14 engine and ZX12R pipes on it. Looks like the clearance is normal and tight and not out of place but Need to see Zx12R engine with ZX14 pipes on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A 421 system is not gonna flow like a 4-1 system...

The twelve being a HP bike not torque bike I would think u would prolly want the free er flowing exhaust to max the HP where the 12 makes it...
ZX14 has 207hp compared to 185hp from the ZX12R A1. Correct me if I'm wrong about the ZX14.

2000 Kawasaki ZX-12R specifications and pictures

I don't think there is that much difference between the basic design on the two bikes. I can comfortably ride 60km/h on top gear that demonstrates the torque of ZX12R very well. Plus the whole reason for this ZX14 fitment is because ZX12R part are mostly discontinued and very hard to get.

·
Registered
314 Posts

cmg
Ive been searching for this info too as the A1 sidewinder is hard to get now.

In fact I made my own sidewinder in the hope a used one might turn up. It seems to work fine extremely well . I utilised the original headers for the first few inches. My welding isnt exactly artistic, but strong ;)
Really would like a Brocks :)

So where does the fairing foul? Ive got cut fairings , chopped just below the fins.... oil filter can be moved easily.
There are no rad clearance issues?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I'd disagree with that. My Hindle step tube race header is a 4-2-1, and I seem to trap higher then most.
I agree but reserved. I can see that if you have a stock bike and you just have the 4-1 headers added to it, it can work really well but only having one “zone/wall” giving back pressure can become a problem if you add a PCV and jetting and other performance mods to boost the power from stock engine. Then the 4-1 becomes an obstacle and hinders the flow and more you try to push through more of a problem it becomes. And you can’t just keep on up sizing the pipe as then you create another problem of “still mass/avoid” where the flow just stops. 4-2-1 has two zones where the gasses emerge and the “walls” are much smaller on these zones and so being you can push much more through easier. The two “walls” in 4-2-1 become less of an obstacle after certain point than 4-1 and can handle more flow. I can’t put 4-1 down if it is in the limits that it was designed for but I believe that if you are looking for more performance and you are adding more than just headers, 4-2-1 becomes the one to have and you can take that system further where 4-1 can’t go.

Like you can see on Akrapovic ZX12R is 4-1 but it is for a stock bike and just the headers and they work well. ZX14 is a step up from ZX12R and 4-1 won’t work and it seems that the limit of how big the pipe can be after the collector has been reached so it was given 4-2-1 headers to improve from the 4-1-2 stock headers.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Found some more pictures to compare. I'm 95% sure that Zx14 4-2-1 headers fit ZX12R. There seems to be at least 20mm gap between the ZX14 headers and the oil pan. Oil filter is much on the same place on ZX12R as the oil cooler on the ZX14 and that is cleared and it also seems that the Zx12R oil filter is on slight angle giving even more room for the headers. Just desperately need the measurements from the cylinder head to the lowest point of the oil pan.

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is one more that gives a good indication of that gap between the oil pan and the headers. I also came across this review of different systems. I wouldn't so much look at the figures but the difference to the factory system.

Exhaust Systems Shootout - Smoking Pipes | Super Streetbike

It don't list Akrapovic but the difference to the stock is 10.2HP.

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
any news?
Sorry no news. Xmas time everything is closed. I will be writing to Akrapovic and some local dealer to see if they have any measurements of the pipes to give a better picture if they fit. I'm also waiting if people from this community can help. I have wrote to couple of treads here and hoping to get some information of the distance from the oil pan to the exhaust opening on the cylinder head. Most important would be to get the distance from the ZX14R because I do have the ZX12R myself. But if someone already has the ZX12R engine exposed under work and easy to measure it would be greatly appreciated. Best of course would be if someone has a workshop or works in workshop so the distance is measured from the same point from each engine by the same person to have gradable information. For example the lowest point on the exhaust opening to the lowest point on the oil pan. Routing the pipe looks to be OK. ZX12R oil filter/cooler is on the same location as the ZX14 oil cooler and the ZX14 pipe is routed to go around the cooler so it also misses the oil filter on the ZX12R. That I can see from the pictures.

·
Registered
314 Posts
You could always buy used headers off fleabay for a 14. See how they bolt up.
That way you can have a good idea without spending lots of money first.

Never looked before but interesting that 14 is a 4-1-2 setup.

I want a zx14 voodoo sidewinder to replace my $100 homemade 4-1 sidewinder :)
Im sure it will fit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts