Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I've searched the forum a bit and found some similar issues, but I want to get some second opinions before I start spending money.

I've got an '03 ZX12-R with about 41,000km. Only real mod is a full MIG exhaust (no power commander, stock filter, etc).

I have noticed the last couple months that it seems to be down a lot of power. Doesn't really seem to want to power wheelie anywhere (where before I had to be cautious about it). Last year it seemed fine to me.

When it was acting up another time, I also did the following:
  • Went on highway in 1st gear (100km/h)
  • Held the throttle wide open
  • It would start bucking around 8k rpm and wouldn't go any faster (rpms wouldn't go higher)
  • After a couple seconds of this, it randomly came to life and kicked the front end up.

I have also had a couple other instances where I would be opening the throttle and it would randomly "come to life" and the power would be where it should be. Gearing doesn't seem to matter. It also has no issue getting to high speed (250+), but feels like it should get there quicker...

Any suggestions?
After a bit of research I am thinking about checking the following:
  • Fuel lines (routing/pinched line)
  • Fuel filter (remove pump and clean filter per service manual)
  • Adjust TPS (currently at stock setting)
  • Add power commander w/ appropriate map
  • Random sensors? Camshaft sensor?

I am going to do the first three because it's cheap/free, but has anyone else had a similar experience that was fixed by a power commander? If so I am tempted to order one right now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...The more I think about it, when I got it it had the TPS mode done and I had reverted it...I wonder if this is part of my issue?

I still understand a PC3 would help, but it doesn't explain the bucking I was getting, and the random power surges at WOT (or near WOT).

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
......fuel pump

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I am definitely thinking it has something to do with not getting the fuel it wants...

I plan on taking the tank off this weekend and inspecting everything..Is it an issue if I do not have a new fuel pump gasket? Manual says to replace it, but it would take a few days to get one...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dealership is backordered for another two weeks (and costs $550 cdn). I will do some tests tonight, but I may either try to get a use oem one off ebay (about $150) or look at the aftermarket ones if needed.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Lotsa folks use walbro pumps....cheaper and reliable aftermarket option....

·
Registered
163 Posts
No and no! He talks about an increasing issue with a occasional, random behavior. That excludes all filters because they are consistent, excludes all new fancy addons since they do not cure an existing basic fault in the system.
Pump, maybe but the basics of this is that it is INTERMITTENT! So something is going on/off and you are left with fuel pump or sensors or the myriad of connectors.

One thing for sure: A PC will never sort it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi,
The first step you check fuel line, maybe is clogged ! Too low fuel pressure can gives this situation..If you are checking fuel line...don't pass fuel pump. But I think a test will be more relevant...I had a similar problem to Yamaha and I found the hose of air pressure sensor obstructed.

·
Registered
329 Posts
It's most definitely your fuel pump filter. The filter inside the tank is dirty so getting a new pump won't do it. You need a new filter and because you have a b model the fpr is built into the filter. You could go with a different fuel pump but then you will have to install an inline filter and a fpr. I don't think you can get the filter by itself from Kawasaki but I think I read somewhere that a bussa not sure if the year has the same filter and Suzuki sells them separate.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Ladies, ladies......

Every single time this issue comes up, there is a massive debate, then chase your tail, someone (usually me lately it seems) who knows the symptoms all too well chime in and say "Fuel Pump" with certainty, then there is another massive debate about more chasing of the tail.

Stop it!

The fuel pump is not delivering proper fuel flow for whatever reason. Replace that damn thing. Do you wanna be 200 miles out and stranded looking for a $500 replacement pump on your weekend ride? It's not worth all that. Symptoms are consistent, again, with a failing fuel pump. Argue if you must, but I'm pretty sure. I also agree with adding a PC if not for the reason stated, but just because it's a fuel injected bike and can be so much better with a click of a mouse.

Toss the old pump on the shelf and use it to pump out gas tanks or something.

:crackup:

·
Registered
71 Posts
The reason why I suggested PC & tuning is because I replaced my A1 pump with Muzzys (they use Walbro by the looks) and it did act a bit weird because of the bigger flow rate.
Also they do state the tuning is required on their site.

·
Registered
279 Posts
He has a full exhaust and no PC. I also believe he has secondary flies. If it's not the pump or pinched line my money is on a PC and tune
The secondary flies do affect airflow but at a lower RPM than what He originally said.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Just lift the tank pull the Hose... turn the key... if it pisses two feet out like a happy dog. The pump is fine. Look at the color of gas... obviousely... if its fine... check the lines and if there good... try tone... omfg... or a lucas type fuel system cleaner... my personal fave is redline... that shit works!

If ur still having issues for sure messing with the tps-i dont think can be because problem comes and goes tps is constant change either way...

Or get a power commander... i have a pc3usb for sale if u cant find one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies guys. Sorry it took so long to get back.

So I had pulled the tank and removed the pump. There was barely anything in the filter at all. Cleaned it out with some carb cleaner anyways (seemed like the best option..) and reinstalled everything. Checked all the lines and they seem good. Cleaned out the air filter as well (didn't seem that bad?)

Also, did the TPS mod again, which helped a bit with the lack of response.

SO-FAR I have not re-created the issue. Doesn't mean that it's fixed...But I haven't been getting any bogging down followed by massive jolts of power.

I will keep my eye on the pump..As soon as it does it again or makes any odd noises it's getting replaced!

In the mean-time, I plan on ordering a PCV and a replacement air filter as I still feel there is a lot of potential power I am missing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
..It's back.

So after driving 500-1000km, it appears that it has started again. Last time I rode it, I went +300km in a day with zero issues. I let it sit for a week and now it's acting up again. If I give WOT @ 6-8k rpm, there is a lot of hesitation and it will buck sometimes.

I am leaning back towards the fuel pump at this point.

·
Registered
329 Posts
It will keep doing this until you replace the in tank filter. There is a blockage that isn't coming out when you clean it and after a lil bit of riding it will fall back into place and you are at square one. I am positive this is your problem I have dealt with this before same thing and the only cure was a new filter.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts