Kawasaki World banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It will keep doing this until you replace the in tank filter. There is a blockage that isn't coming out when you clean it and after a lil bit of riding it will fall back into place and you are at square one. I am positive this is your problem I have dealt with this before same thing and the only cure was a new filter.
Thanks. Any thoughts on replacing it with something like this?
NEW Intank Fuel Pump 2000 2005 Kawasaki ZX 12R ZX12 ZX1200 Ninja EFI | eBay

The alternative may be getting a whole new USED assembly for around $100. I'd rather avoid the cost of replacing the whole assembly with new.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Found a used assembly on ebay for a reasonable price. Less KM then mine, and appears to be in good shape on a bike that was laid down.

Now I wait....

·
Registered
327 Posts
You need the oem filter as it has the fuel pressure regulator built in it. I am not sure where you can get a new filter only Kawasaki sells the whole assembly complete shit. I've heard that the latter model gen 1 bussa shares the same filter I haven't verified it tho. But the low mileage unit you posted would be an alternative if nothing else pans out. That's the route I had to take but luckily the speed shop in town had one sitting on the shelf I grabbed for $50.

·
Registered
327 Posts
At some point in time all of us B model owners will have to shell out the coin for new OEM or retrofit some alternative fuel delivery. Until that time comes I'll ride the shit out of it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks for the replies. Mine was about $110, but that's shipped to Canada from Florida.

Here's the odd thing: Last time I had it out, it ran like crap on the way to work, and then when I came home 8h later it ran perfect. It's very noticeable...Still blaming the fuel pump for now.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Yep. You are on the right track. It is fuel pump related. Whether pump or filter is really irrelevant. When you dive too deep in thought on it, a plugged filter is stressing the pump as well, so, you're still looking at a shortened life span for the actual pump itself. How measurable is really up to circumstance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
FYI, replaced the fuel pump. Have had zero problems since, but I will let you guys know if it reoccurs.

Thanks for everyone's input.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you had good luck since replacing the fuel pump assembly? I have a modified lawn tractor puller with a 03 zx12r engine that has been surging at wot, replaced the fuel pump with a aftermarket pump and inline fuel pressure regulator and it worked amazing the first time out and now its back to surging again. Fuel pressure is dropping off to almost 0psi then shooting back upto 45psi

·
Registered
2 Posts
FYI, replaced the fuel pump. Have had zero problems since, but I will let you guys know if it reoccurs.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Have you had good luck since replacing the fuel pump assembly? I have a modified lawn tractor puller with a 03 zx12r engine that has been surging at wot, replaced the fuel pump with a aftermarket pump and inline fuel pressure regulator and it worked amazing the first time out and now its back to surging again. Fuel pressure is dropping off to almost 0psi then shooting back upto 45psi

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
sounds like a power or ground issue to the pump, not the actual pump

21 - 33 of 33 Posts