Kawasaki World banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at changing the zx12r regulator rectifier for a moffset type that has the positive and negative wires going to the battery. Why are there more than 2 wires coming out of the second plug/socket of the zx12r reg/rectifier besides the 3 stator wires. Help/ answer will be appreciate. cheers

·
Registered
30 Posts
Looking at the diagram they seem to have doubled up on the negative/ground and positive ... not sure why, maybe redundancy?

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
What year is your bike?

I have a 2000 A1 and have had fitted a Japanese MOSFET (metal–oxide–semiconductor field-effect transistor) regulator/rectifier after the stator was rewound.

It then has a direct connection to the battery from there.

Motorcycle Autoelectrician who did the work says the Japanese one is better quality than the chinese one. They apparently handle a greater electrical load and run cooler.

There are 3 wires from the stator into the reg/rec, with one of the wires being "piggybacked" by the small wire that leads to the headlight relay in the junction box.

I believe the later B models have more wires leading from the OEM reg/rec.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
What year is your bike?

I have a 2000 A1 and have had fitted a Japanese MOSFET (metal–oxide–semiconductor field-effect transistor) regulator/rectifier after the stator was rewound.

Motorcycle Autoelectrician who did the work says the Japanese one is better quality than the chinese one. They apparently handle a greater electrical load and run cooler.

There are 3 wires from the stator into the reg/rec, with one of the wires being "piggybacked" by the small wire that leads to the headlight relay in the junction box.

Don
What brand did you go with? Is it model specific
or generic?

cmg

·
Registered
1 Posts
What year is your bike?

Hey, I have the same bike that you have. so you are saying that you ran your negative and positive wire that is coming from the rectifier directly to your battery and bypassed the female connector? by using that mosfett rectifier the SHINDENGEN MOSFETT R/R? what are results with your battery voltage while idle? does your headlights still work? did you relocate the rectifier? how long have you had it that way and have you had any charging issues since?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Hey, I have the same bike that you have. so you are saying that you ran your negative and positive wire that is coming from the rectifier directly to your battery and bypassed the female connector? by using that mosfett rectifier the SHINDENGEN MOSFETT R/R? what are results with your battery voltage while idle? does your headlights still work? did you relocate the rectifier? how long have you had it that way and have you had any charging issues since?
Sorry mate, just saw your post. The auto-electrician who did the work ran the wire loom from the R/R directly to the battery, saying it is recommended to reduce any possible loss of electrical flow - or possible breaks in connections - by only having the one line. I would have to check my latest R/R output readings that I did only recently, but I do know they were in the manual specifications. Yes, headlights work as power to them comes from before the wires reach the R/R - that small white wire runs off one of the stator wires back up to the connection point on the back of the airbox area, which is seen when you raise the fuel tank. The R/R is fitted in the same position as the OEM R/R. Just had to play around with mounting bolts.

As far as charging issues, well I still encounter stator burn out problems. but I don't believe they are related to the R/R.
Hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Don - great information. Can you check the part number; I checked the website however nothing matches FH020AA 3.6 161 F?
Thanks
Just looked on the site too, and yes it seems hard to locate the R/R I have. I was able to do so when I first got the R/R installed. The part number should be correct. I'll have more of a dig aroiund in the daytime to check.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts