Kawasaki World banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I've bought an A model engine with a spun bearing and I've rebuilt it. However, when I've gone to fit the sump, it doesn't fit. Correct shape, but it seems to bottom out by a couple of mm on the oil pipes. The sump and a spare sump were loose in a box along with a load of other spares and I've noticed that the A and B model sumps have different part numbers. It's probably something simple but before I go mad, can anybody confirm they are interchangeable? Thanks

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, 3 grandchildren here too!

Used to be called zx-12r.org

Easyrider was the first Administrator (though if memory serves - he got the site off Ivan?).
That's the one! I've been around since 2002 ish, when the 12 was top dog, and Shiphteey was trying to make his bike lighter than himself. It's a bit quieter around here now, but still good to see some familiar names still posting up, KZScott, yourself, CMG and one or two others.

· Registered
1,713 Posts
Ship was a human cheese grater if I remember correctly. I don’t know if his 12 lived through it though. He did.
Messed him up bad.

· Registered
6,392 Posts
I dont get on here nearly as often anymore, but the reason for the different oil pans was due to the larger oil pipes in the b model. the oil sight glass actually changed in 01, one of the small changes between the a1 and a2 models

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dont get on here nearly as often anymore, but the reason for the different oil pans was due to the larger oil pipes in the b model. the oil sight glass actually changed in 01, one of the small changes between the a1 and a2 models
Thanks KZ. Yeah, I used to live on here, now once in a blue moon. Not much activity now once the 14 came out. I still follow your posts, especially as I'm looking to turbo mine over the next few months, once funds allow.

I've just found the issue. I took the sump off my 12 (A2) and put it on the engine I'm building. It did not fit, even both engines numbers are showing that they are the same year... I took the oil window that came with the engine (loose with the sump, in the box, and that didn't fit the engine. So I looked on the oil pipes on my mine versus this engine, they're different. As you said Scott, they were quite a bit different in size. So... It looks like the engine is a mess. Top half of the crank case is A2, the bottom half is a B model...

So, assuming I want to risk trying to use it, I'm going to need to get a B model sump and oil window. I need to think about it but I don't think there's anything to lose. I can't use the crankcases for anything else. Anybody got any suggestions?

· Registered
6,392 Posts
nothing wrong with swapping parts around when you know what components work together and what dont. Ive interchanged lots of cases, cranks etc. some things are a direct fit, others require a "group" of parts to be changed to work. make sure you have the correct oil pump. a model rotor in b cases wont make proper pressure as the early rotor was narrower.
interested in a used mr turbo kit? or looking to get something new?

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nothing wrong with swapping parts around when you know what components work together and what dont. Ive interchanged lots of cases, cranks etc. some things are a direct fit, others require a "group" of parts to be changed to work. make sure you have the correct oil pump. a model rotor in b cases wont make proper pressure as the early rotor was narrower.
interested in a used mr turbo kit? or looking to get something new?
Sump modified and now on, thanks Scott. Engine is now ready to into the bike, although it probably won't go onto the road until April (shit weather till then). Plenty of time to fettle it and get it right for the Summer. In the mean time I can save up for the other engine, :)

Thanks for the offer on the Mr Turbo kit, but I'll pass for now. I would like to build it myself if I can, although I might pick your brains when the time comes, if I may. Also, the postage and import duties to the UK are painful...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts