Kawasaki World banner

121 - 140 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
In endurance racing is used for better wrench fitment in to axis which is also a bolt.
Of course it is also a bolt/pivot crash protector as it is in my bike.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Small update, Mychron sensors are pretty expensive. So i thought that maybe I could make my own speed sensor, few months ago I bought magnetic speed sensor from chinese quad but never had enough to sit down and do it.
About week ago, I purchased a Binder connector and start working on it. What I need was neodymium magnet which I glue to bolt mounted on front rotor.
I was really pleased with result (connector diagram is avaliable to download from AIM site) when I realized that everything is working fine. I also did front stand hooks which I want to anodize with solution of salt and vinegar but that didnt work
good for me so I painted them with anodized coat. Now just need to change bolts for titanium:)

My Wife help me with soldering cause my hand shake really bad so I cant do such stuff.

Quickshifter on/off button.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Small update, I bought on "polish ebay" broken carbon hugger for 12.
Thought it will be great piece to work on it. Price was good, more or less 9 pounds :)
Have only few pictures... First I glue it with epoxy then I use fiberglass, after all I
polished surface. After all job I painted it with primer, chrome silver and fluo yellow (all spray can).
I left small part of bare carbon for better effect.
Stickers was printed on plotter and I cut them with scalpel.
I took me a lot of time, painted it almost 3 times, final effect its a bit wooden
but I really proud of it :)

Next week will work on bigger 12 snorkel. General idea is to make it a bit bigger and inlet curves more rounded.

It will be lighter but not only, I read that bigger snorkel (just inlet) increase performance, will see.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
There has been discussion with one of the guys who was involved with the creation of the larger snorkel who have stated the design gives power increases static on a dyno, but actually robs power at speed due to disrupting the air causing turbulence in the airbox. He stated the stock design actually performs better at speed than a larger design....

Just an fyi. There is a thread here I think where he discusses it....

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #126 (Edited)
There has been discussion with one of the guys who was involved with the creation of the larger snorkel who have stated the design gives power increases static on a dyno, but actually robs power at speed due to disrupting the air causing turbulence in the airbox. He stated the stock design actually performs better at speed than a larger design....

Just an fyi. There is a thread here I think where he discusses it....
Thanks for inquire, yes indeed stock velocity snorkel (with stock inlet air ducts) performer better than whole big veolcity piece, however from this thread (which I read also), conclusion was that bigger snorkel with stock air ducts will work better than OEM unit.

I will make it a big longer and a bit bigger mouth:) on front, rest air duct tubes etc. will be stock.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
From about a week Im wroking on cf air scoop.
Im not an expert, do not like work with resin and fibers but japanese items are really expensive so I got to do it by myself.
First the smell of resin...

OK anyhow...

I have read that ducts are designed very well but scoop could be bigger and more "greedy". Changed shape of the scoop with thick paper, I made mouth larger and with wider open. Stock scoop with paper inlet was wrapped with duck tape and spread with fat as a not adhesive separator.

Here is comparisson shot, stock and my item.
Its bare cf without coat etc. Need to work on it because sides of cf scoop looks poor,
however Im happy with result as a first cf work.

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
Thats nice work Tom!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Hey Guys, thanks for support. Its not perfect but im still learning how to use resin, which type is better, which is worst. Now it need to be coated with clear resin and clear coat.
Waiting for parcel with material and I think on Wednesday will start to work on it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #131 (Edited)
Snorkel project done. I achieve catfish mouth effect, however Im happy with the result.
Snorkel is slighty bigger and a lot longer but it looks good.
On Sunday will make more pictures.
Carbon surface isnt perfect but I understand that was my first resin/cf job so I did some mistakes.
During the process I lost patient etc. :) Now I know how to work with it in future.
Bought some nice ProBolts and wider isolation tape to bolt and seal everything :)
Also drilled snorkel bracket, I save only 0,4g :) but whole snorkel is lighter 250g than stock unit.
Have some new ideas, but first I must collect money for carbon fabric.

Now Im working on qucik mount side fairings.
I almost did them, on picture You can see spring
but it doesnt work well.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #132 (Edited)
I changed design of fairing quick release bolt
and finally mount them, to release fairing rider must pull the string.
Its not very easy to mount it back on place but it isn't big problem either.
I did everything by myself, drilled bolt, shortened it and even string is from bicycle brake line:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nice setup you've got there, Tom. I really dig the carbon wrap.

Your build is being featured in the BikeBuilds.net directory here: tomonever's ZX12R Build.
We’re currently displaying only a reduced-size photo (similar to what you’d find in Google Images).
We'd like to ask for your permission to publish the original full-size image with your build listing.

If anyone would like to have a build of their own listed, just shoot me a PM with a link to the build thread and we’ll take care of the rest.
If you wish to add your build personally, please feel free to peruse our Submit feature. No registrations required.
Admins, please delete this post if deemed inappropriate.

Al

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Hey Albertus, thanks for support, feel free to post my images and build.
Thanks Tom

Nice setup you've got there, Tom. I really dig the carbon wrap.

Your build is being featured in the BikeBuilds.net directory here: tomonever's ZX12R Build.
We’re currently displaying only a reduced-size photo (similar to what you’d find in Google Images).
We'd like to ask for your permission to publish the original full-size image with your build listing.

If anyone would like to have a build of their own listed, just shoot me a PM with a link to the build thread and we’ll take care of the rest.
If you wish to add your build personally, please feel free to peruse our Submit feature. No registrations required.
Admins, please delete this post if deemed inappropriate.

Al

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Small update,
I have charging issues from years... :)
Changed rectifier and all connectors, after all I found out that stator is burned.
Cause of lack of money (and time), with huge support of internets friends,
decided to take off stator and flywheel.
It was really hard nut to break and not so cheap overall.
However I handle it, flywheel weight is 1,2 kg, stator is similar.
I did short movie how does it perform,
I know my riding gear isn't decent.... :)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Very nice, bike sounds great! That you surfing ontop of the train?? Lol...

·
Registered
528 Posts
Small update,
I have charging issues from years... :)
Changed rectifier and all connectors, after all I found out that stator is burned.
Cause of lack of money (and time), with huge support of internets friends,
decided to take off stator and flywheel.
It was really hard nut to break and not so cheap overall.
However I handle it, flywheel weight is 1,2 kg, stator is similar.
I did short movie how does it perform,
I know my riding gear isn't decent.... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTNo5_WP4O4

Did you go with oem stator or did something custom??

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Runing no stator at all..... :)
From about 2 years I was riding with out regulator and limited range of battery was just fine for my trips (max 30km). So I kick out all fried stuff.
In future I could think about racing charging system, but now have no cash for bike mod.
Plans are two intake cams and titanium retainers, but that will be next year.
Battery when runing on lights its between 10,4-11,1 V.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Just keep in mind, normal batteries don't handle drain/charge cycles very well. Shortens the life of the battery by a lot. Deep cycle batteries handle it more as they are designed with this in mind, but a standard battery, no matter if Li Ion or lead/acid AGM...don't matter. They are designed for a quick discharge and recharge, not a sustaind drain/charge duty.

121 - 140 of 159 Posts