Kawasaki World banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off, standard disclaimer…you’re trying to make something work that wasn’t designed for the application you’re making it work in therefore if anything goes wrong it’s not my fault. Also be warned that I’m a mechanical engineer so my knowledge of electrical circuits is extremely limited.

This write-up is only useful if you already have a PCV installed per this write-up..

Most of the instructions are in the manual that comes with the wideband 2/autotune kit so I’ll just go over ZX12R specific stuff.

Step 1) O2 Sensor location! I decided to put it in the mid-pipe since that was the easiest to get to, most aesthetically pleasing, and it definitely got exhaust from all four cylinders.

With the muffler bolted up as it would normally be, I routed the O2 sensor between the right side rearset and the swing arm.

With it located so that it wouldn’t be rubbing on the swing arm during normal operation, I took a sharpie and outlined the plastic cap on to the pipe. This gave me a good location to drill.

Step 2) Remove the midpipe and drill a hole about 7/8” in diameter (the bung I got in the kit was 22mm, 7/8” is 22.2mm so you get some room to work with). Once the hole is drilled, weld the bung in there.

I had to take the whole setup to a local motorcycle shop (Reno KTM, ask for Chester…if you’re in the Reno area) and had them drill the hole and weld the bung.

Step 3) Screw the O2 sensor in to the bung and route the connector under the gas tank.

From there it’s just a matter of following the directions included with the wideband2/autotune kit.

Step 4) IF YOU BUY THE WIDEBAND2 KIT, YOU MUST PURCHASE THE CAN CABLE AND CAN TERMINATION PLUG SEPERATELY. It’s kind of dumb, but they don’t include those with the kit. The cable is $15-$20 depending on the length and the plug is $5. Plug the CAN communication cable in to the PCV and the wideband2/autotune module. Plug the CAN termination plug in to the second port on the PCV.

Step 5) Tidy everything up.

Like a boss.

TUNING!
I had an OK base map from a custom tune I got a while ago but there are obviously no AFR tables for the 12. I went to dynojets website and grabbed the AFR table for an 06 ZX14 with a full muzzy system and so far it works great. I haven’t ridden a lot to see the full effects, but it is definitely making changes in the areas I’ve been cruising in. Response feels crisper and the bike overall feels smoother and less buzzy. All in all it was well worth the effort.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

Does anyone know if the ECU does different mapping for first and second gear? The AFR values I'm using work great in third through sixth gears but its super lean in first and second.

It is definitely smoothing out the flat spot though!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I reserve the right to be wrong but:

2000-2003 1,2,3 are mapped differently 4,5,6 are the same

2004-2005 1 is mapped differently 2-6 are the same

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm definitely seeing this in the autotune. I have to calibrate the speed sensor input on the PCV still and set it up to do different maps by gear.

So far the autotune is phenomenal! It's ridiculously smooth. The flat spot isn't totally gone but it is sooooooooo much better than before. I can be putting in second gear at 2000 rpm and hammer the throttle and she just launches!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Figured I would take the plunge.
Scored the Autotune box cheap so now I'll keep an eye out for the Busa box.
I suspect they're all the same colored wires and also suspect one from a ZX14 from 2006 or 2007 would work. The connector looks the exact same but I don't think the wires go to the right spots so it wouldn't be plug and play. I want to buy one just to see how hard it'd be to reconfigure it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts