Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just got a zx12r and i test drove it and it seemed good but i couldnt open it up because of city traffic. Got it home, pulled the clutch in while riding, went to rev it, and it revs to 7k and dies. Went back home and investigated. Rpms drop to almost nothing and it revs back up and dies again. It wont go above 7k at any throttle position it only dies and revs up again at near WOT and WOT. The more throttle i give it the more it surges.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Hi welcome and what mod year is your 12 as different pumps for diff years yes sounds like fuel pump/filter problem Craig

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This bike is a 2002 zxr12r.
19000 miles.
Power commander
Muzzy exhaust
Its pretty beat, plastics are really bad.

The previous owner said he replaced the
fuel pump, battery, rectifier, and did the stator fix

Okay i have driven it around some more today. i started it up and it started and rpms dropped really low, like 600 rpm and it died. Started again and it started normally with the high idle lever all the way on. Then as it is idling i am getting my gear on and it dies (maybe 1min of idling) Start it up again and after maybe 10 seconds of idling it starts to die, but i give it some throttle and starts to idle again. It kinda sound like its loading up at idle.

I rode it around and it does not want to go above 4.5k rpms in any gear. The more throttle i give, the more it dies. At wot its like i turned the ignition off.

I can get it to go about 60-70mph indicated and thats with very light throttle.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The PC should be connected by plugs as far as I know. I wouldn't start cutting into the loom, at least not if you aren't very known with electrics. But if it isn't connected with plugs, a la plug and play, then I wonder what the PO has done to the bike. And maybe there's a fault in the wiring some where causing issues. You say it's pretty beat, just how beat?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well today i took the fairings off to look for the pc connection only to notice a big ole crack on the frame. Looks like someone patched it and it didnt hold. The other side was rewelded and is starting to crack as well. Luckily i am a welder so i can reweld it, but i am not sure about taking the bike apart yet. Looks like i got screwed over. This is going on the back burner for now. Thanks for the replies.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Finally got a manual in the mail yesterday, So today i took off the gas tank and checked the fuel pump. The Manual says 83mL of fuel for a 3 second prime. Mine pumped out a little dribble that consisted of about 10mL. So thats definitely (one of) the problem. The gas also seemed to be cloudy like there os some water mixed in. I looked online and the fuel pump is $238.. I dont think the po replaced the fuel pump like he said he did, at least not with a new one. I also found that one insert for the airbox is missing (see picture) . Definitely not good, who knows how long thats been missing.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Maybe contact the previous owner to see if he has the parts (fuel pump & airbox cover) sitting around?

Hopefully he does as it would save you a bit of money!

Good luck!

Don.

·
Registered
328 Posts
You've definitely got fuel problems. Most people in your situation always assume they need to replace their fuel pump when thats not the case. You most likely have a clogged fuel filter and not a failing fuel pump. Now the way I see it you have several options: you can replace with a new fuel pump assembly at close to $600 US or replace with a used ebay one at around $200 US witch will probably have the same issues. You can back flush your filter, but doing this will just be a temporary fix and you will be doing it over and over. Some people have been successful in cutting the filter housing and removing the element and sealing it back up good luck with this one. You could replace the filter, only problem is kawasaki doesn't offer just the filter for sale, but Suzuki does. This happens to be the same filter in the 99-07 hyabusa and 04-09 Vstorm. These filters go for around $200 US still a little pricy, but cheapest real fix IMO. Now having said all this you still have more important issues like making sure your bike is safe and roadworthy. The frame damage really should be addressed well before you get it running. If you need parts I have a good lot of parts feel free to PM me. Good luck your project.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
You've definitely got fuel problems. Most people in your situation always assume they need to replace their fuel pump when thats not the case. You most likely have a clogged fuel filter and not a failing fuel pump. Now the way I see it you have several options: you can replace with a new fuel pump assembly at close to $600 US or replace with a used ebay one at around $200 US witch will probably have the same issues. You can back flush your filter, but doing this will just be a temporary fix and you will be doing it over and over. Some people have been successful in cutting the filter housing and removing the element and sealing it back up good luck with this one. You could replace the filter, only problem is kawasaki doesn't offer just the filter for sale, but Suzuki does. This happens to be the same filter in the 99-07 hyabusa and 04-09 Vstorm. These filters go for around $200 US still a little pricy, but cheapest real fix IMO. Now having said all this you still have more important issues like making sure your bike is safe and roadworthy. The frame damage really should be addressed well before you get it running. If you need parts I have a good lot of parts feel free to PM me. Good luck your project.
I thought the filter is included with the fuel pump assembly? If so wouldnt replacing it take care of the filter issue as well? Im going to rinse out the tank because i think it may be dirty. If i can get the bike to run well then im going to fix the frame. I figure theres No use fixing it if i cant get it run anyway

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe contact the previous owner to see if he has the parts (fuel pump & airbox cover) sitting around?

Hopefully he does as it would save you a bit of money!

Good luck!

Don.
I coughed up a couple bucks and ordered one online. The po isnt responding to my texts or calls so i think there was some shadyness going on

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
I thought the filter is included with the fuel pump assembly? If so wouldnt replacing it take care of the filter issue as well? Im going to rinse out the tank because i think it may be dirty. If i can get the bike to run well then im going to fix the frame. I figure theres No use fixing it if i cant get it run anyway
dont confuse a pre filter (filter sock) with the fine filter after the pump. theres 2 filters in the system not 1

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well today me and a couple buddies dove into the bike. Took the gas tank off and drained it(that was fun) and there was a bunch of water in the bottom of the tank. The gas coming out was brown i think from rust and dirt. There was alot of debris in there too. I rinsed it out with acetone and denatured alcohol 4 times and got everything out. The tank inside wasn't rusty so i figure its ok. The fuel pump was very oxidized and looked very bad.

I Put it back together with a new used pump and it was a night and day difference. It finally revved all the way to redline. I rode it down the street and then it seemed to be missing in most spots of the rev range.

We tracked down the power commander connection and we unpluged it. It smoothed it out completely. Problem solved!

Or not. I rode it to work tonight taking it easy. It was pretty good aside from some obvious brake and chassis repairs that need to be done.

I Then began to start it up to go home (after 5hours) i turned the key, waited till the fuel pump was primed(3 seconds) i pressed the button and nothing happened except for the fuel pump started running again. Pressed the button another time and it turned over and stumbled on itself for about 20 seconds (500rpms) and then began to high idle like usual (with high idle lever on). Its pretty chilly (32 degrees f) so im thinking maybe that has something to do with it?

Also while it was warming up some smoke started come out from the back end of the bike from under the passenger seat. It smelled electrical. I drove it home anyway and it didnt drive any different from when i drove it to work earlier. I guess ill check that out next
This is getting pretty long, sorry!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
it looks like you need to read on the sticky section about oil wicking and the regulator connectors, they fill with oil and burn out this will cause all sorts of problems with your bike, not a big job just some soldier and heat shrink and cut out the connectors, hope you have sorted out your fuel problems Craig

1 - 20 of 21 Posts