Kawasaki World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i drove the bike to work last night and when i got home this morning i ledt it outside in driveway for first time. When i woke up it was in the 90 degrees. I walked up to bike and it was leaking gas from under gas cap ring. I popped gas cap could hear pressure release. Closed gas cap amd 10 minutes later opened it and gas is back filling out edge of gas tank cap. What is issue here? Easy fix or just a bad tank?

·
Registered
348 Posts
So i drove the bike to work last night and when i got home this morning i ledt it outside in driveway for first time. When i woke up it was in the 90 degrees. I walked up to bike and it was leaking gas from under gas cap ring. I popped gas cap could hear pressure release. Closed gas cap amd 10 minutes later opened it and gas is back filling out edge of gas tank cap. What is issue here? Easy fix or just a bad tank?
I'm not sure about the zx14, but the zx12rs use a tube that runs inside the tank to vent off excess pressure. If vibration or rust cause a hole in that tube, the tank will leak fuel. Sometimes the owner would cap off the drain outlet at the bottom of the tank to stop the gas leak. This would allow gas to back up the tube and come out the hole under the gas cap. The cure would be to replace the tank or remove the gauge assembly and try to repair the steel line with thin rubber fuel hose. You could contact Kawasaki and see if they would replace your tank under warranty but I think you're sol on that one. Maybe look for a tank on ebay. A friend of mine had this problem with a zx11 and Kawasaki gave him a new tank. I saw your picture of two lines on the tank looped together and I'll bet if you have a fair amount of gas in your tank and unhook the bypass gas will leak out. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts