Kawasaki World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen post on the web about this 14 in a 12 swap. Pictures of a 14 in a 12 but no write ups nowhere. Anyone done this or is there a write up anywhere?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I think I've seen it done twice, by guys online, always with fuzzy pictures and a shit description afterwards... will take a lot of fabrication, so unless you do TIG welding or in good with a buddy who does, I wouldn't attempt it. From the start, you're looking at cutting the frame at the lower engine mounts. I think I saw pics where someone did it, they have to be lower and wider to accomodate the ZX14 motor. Then throttle body spacing is different. So essentially you would have to cut out the whole bottom half of air box, and weld in a new plate with holes that properly aligned to ZX14 TBs. Wiring, you'd have to swap over an entire harness from 14. Probably easiest to swap over the gauges and ignition switch at that point too.

Basically, tons of work, and definitely not cost effective.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a extra 12r frame and my buddy has a blown 08 14 engine. Gonna go pick it up and see what it entails. I priced the harness, ecu, and engine. Parts around 3k. I think it can be done without cutting the frame to crap.... With the exception of of cutting the 12r tb holes out and making a new plate with a aluminum plate cut with the 14 tb holes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think I've seen it done twice, by guys online, always with fuzzy pictures and a shit description afterwards... will take a lot of fabrication, so unless you do TIG welding or in good with a buddy who does, I wouldn't attempt it. From the start, you're looking at cutting the frame at the lower engine mounts. I think I saw pics where someone did it, they have to be lower and wider to accomodate the ZX14 motor. Then throttle body spacing is different. So essentially you would have to cut out the whole bottom half of air box, and weld in a new plate with holes that properly aligned to ZX14 TBs. Wiring, you'd have to swap over an entire harness from 14. Probably easiest to swap over the gauges and ignition switch at that point too.

Basically, tons of work, and definitely not cost effective.
I might not know much to offer a solution yet but I tend to favor your answer. It sounds informed, thanks for though I am not the one who asked the question but I have learned something. :clap::clap:

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
easier to do a turbo system. yes im a bit biased lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts