Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive heard nothing but sell ur twelve for a fourteen lately....

So i was wondering if you all could enlighten me....

Basic bolt ons and cheap mods done....

What will a 12 and 14 do in the mile??

Basically how much faster is the 14 once you get both bikes set up without big power adders, i.e. turbo, nitrous....

And would the result be different if the contesr was say.... 100mph roll on to top speed? I.e does the fourteen make up all the difference under 100 thx to more torque biased engine?
THanks...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Ive never ridden a 14. But same day back to bake with same rider zx14 went 195.xxx my zx12r went 203.694 in 1.5 miles. The 12 went 196 to the zx14 192 in the mile that day.
Now on the flip side on a different track Ive seen a stock 14 go 195 in the mile no pipe or pc just a sprocket change. It may of had mr12 for fuel not sure. It comes down to rider and setup.
Bottom line the zx14 is no faster than your 12.
After riding my built 12 around I dont think Im gonna go with the 14r. Not putting the bike down, its just that I dont think I have the skill to use the power it has. I think a stock 12r or a gen 14 would be more in line with my skills on the street. Maybe even a ninja1000. But with power modes and abs might seal the deal for a 14r Ill have to ride one first. Redsled.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
This is not the most unbiased forum to ask that question on. :lol:

My experience, after about 7 years of LSR, is that stock-for-stock, the 14 is faster, and quicker. On my 3rd pass on my 14 I was faster than my 20th on my 12R. 14's are definitely stronger at the dragstrip as well. Also, it has a lot more torque and hp in the low-midrange. Setups and riders are everything; a stock motor 14 has been 200.92 in the mile, on a hot day, at Maxton. On a different day, a totally stock one with just a sprocket change went 196. It's all apples and oranges unless you have ridden them both extensively, imo.

But, top-speed wise, it's not night and day...a handful of mph.

However, I wouldn't sell or trade off your 12R because someone else said it was the best thing to do. Ride the bike YOU like. All of these bikes are more machine than most of are riders, anyway. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Stock for stock the 14 damn well better be faster than the 12.
As I have said before, the Gen 1 14 put the Gen 1 Busa on the trailer conclusively. It spurred Suzuki to build a faster bike. Perhaps the same will happen now that the 14R has kicked the Gen 2 Busa around. :lol:

And, as I have also said before, there is a lot more to a motorcycle than a spec sheet or mph number.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Well, you don't buy the14r because it' faceph faster and you don't sell the 12r because it's 1 mph slower. The14r overall is faster and more comfortable. The 14r is more capable with similar mods. Those are the differences that usually make the choice. I have both and I'm faster on the 14r no matter how I ride. With more torque I can recover from a screw up. It can be more forgiving and misleading at the same time.
plus it is the latest thing, and lets face it we all want the latest thing deep down
Lou

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Well, you don't buy the14r because it' faceph faster and you don't sell the 12r because it's 1 mph slower. The14r overall is faster and more comfortable. The 14r is more capable with similar mods. Those are the differences that usually make the choice. I have both and I'm faster on the 14r no matter how I ride. With more torque I can recover from a screw up. It can be more forgiving and misleading at the same time.
plus it is the latest thing, and lets face it we all want the latest thing deep down
Lou
I wouldn't even compare the 12R to a 14R, in the speed department. The 14R is just too much power and displacement. Way, way faster. The Gen 1 14 is a more reasonable comparison.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Get yourself a yoshi duplex race if you can find one and some bmc race filters some stacks a tune and ecu hack and let the 14s chase you. This setup works well on the 2000 and 2001 bikes. Do the smog bypass thing and -1 in the rear and you good for 200 mph. Redsled.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Get yourself a yoshi duplex race if you can find one and some bmc race filters some stacks a tune and ecu hack and let the 14s chase you. This setup works well on the 2000 and 2001 bikes. Do the smog bypass thing and -1 in the rear and you good for 200 mph. Redsled.
Make that statement on the 14 boards, and see the responses you get. Probably a lot of invites for Sunday rides. :lol:

I'm all for enjoying your personal ride, but don't let your 12R bias blind you. Make a few hundred dragstrip passes on each, maybe 100+ LSR passes between the two, and street miles... then comment.

I respect the 12R, it is a great machine. But damn, it gets deep in here sometimes.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Ive gone on a few sunday rides with some 14 owners and a few busas and a few liter bikes. And all but one of the 14 riders said the same thing. "I heard them bikes are not that much slower than the 14". After our ride none of them said that again. Now I not a drag racer or a road racer. We have miles of long I95 with no traffic on it and the trans canada is only a 45 min ride away. In these conditions the 2000 to 2001 12 will more than hold its own with most any bike out there. I have lost a few races and one was to a bandit 1250 on the back roads. He was a ex moto gp guy from 20 or 30 years ago and touring Maine. He handed me my ass in the worst way.
Im a little jaded as to what the 12r can do but hanging with KZScott and CMG will do that to ya. I also ride with a guy with a 2002 zx12 and its nice and its stock and I could just drive away when ever I wanted with bolt ons.
How many miles have you logged on a setup a1? Look at hibs on his a1 that runs as good as any gen1 14 mod for mod am I wrong? Yes the 14 is a better bike but until I see a gen1 14 just rape a a1 Ill stand buy my statement. Redsled.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Ive gone on a few sunday rides with some 14 owners and a few busas and a few liter bikes. And all but one of the 14 riders said the same thing. "I heard them bikes are not that much slower than the 14". After our ride none of them said that again. Now I not a drag racer or a road racer. We have miles of long I95 with no traffic on it and the trans canada is only a 45 min ride away. In these conditions the 2000 to 2001 12 will more than hold its own with most any bike out there. I have lost a few races and one was to a bandit 1250 on the back roads. He was a ex moto gp guy from 20 or 30 years ago and touring Maine. He handed me my ass in the worst way.
Im a little jaded as to what the 12r can do but hanging with KZScott and CMG will do that to ya. I also ride with a guy with a 2002 zx12 and its nice and its stock and I could just drive away when ever I wanted with bolt ons.
How many miles have you logged on a setup a1? Look at hibs on his a1 that runs as good as any gen1 14 mod for mod am I wrong? Yes the 14 is a better bike but until I see a gen1 14 just rape a a1 Ill stand buy my statement. Redsled.
Not going to argue with the expert. I've only owned/raced the B1...and 1287 motor, Gen 1 14, Gen 2 Busa, and 14R. :thumbup:

I remember when your bike was going mid 180's at the 1.5. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Stock for stock the 14 damn well better be faster than the 12.
Lov the passion Jens!!!!!!!

Outsider makes the point. Life moves forward and I am tickled to death that the 14R is a BADASS mofo. Stomps the crap out those ugly ass busas. Puts Kaw at the top of the food chain. Cats like Shane make the legend of Kaw and the 14R cut in stone.(worlds fastest 14R).
For us 12 honks it gives us the latest from KHI to chase. I'm proud that the 14R is the new standard.

cmg

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I am just as passionate as anyone out there, about my Kaws. But when someone asks for the bottom line, performance-wise, I try to keep my bias out of it...no matter which bike I "like" the most. I'd rather ride any 12R, 14, 14R than a Busa...the Kaws have a lot of soul. And I also grew up with some great Kaws. :thumbup:

·
Registered
18,690 Posts
Lov the passion Jens!!!!!!!

Outsider makes the point. Life moves forward and I am tickled to death that the 14R is a BADASS mofo. Stomps the crap out those ugly ass busas. Puts Kaw at the top of the food chain. Cats like Shane make the legend of Kaw and the 14R cut in stone.(worlds fastest 14R).
For us 12 honks it gives us the latest from KHI to chase. I'm proud that the 14R is the new standard.

cmg
Thank, cmg. Sometimes being a fan of the 12 is lonely, even on here. For me, the 12 is the best that I can afford and I am lucky to have my A1 back in relatively the same condition it was in when I sold it 6 years prior. For a 1199cc engine that is not far from 15 years old, it still is a powerful bike.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
with the same basic mods and fuel i went faster on a 12r than a gen 1 14. that being said i think from a dead stop the 14 was quicker off the line, it just felt lazy in 6th. im sure a built 14 or 14r will eventually out mph the 12r, but for now Hulk is still king.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I wouldn't even compare the 12R to a 14R, in the speed department. The 14R is just too much power and displacement. Way, way faster. The Gen 1 14 is a more reasonable comparison.
At a track I would agree with you. On the street however, it's a different thing. As you know the bikes can be 20+hp difference and the better rider will win. Any newer liter bikes today can hang with a 14 or 14r in the streets, imo
Lou

·
Registered
324 Posts
Im no expert but I have been messing with this bike for a little bit. Unless you own a 99 busa or a a1 all of the bikes you owned are mid 180 bikes stock. Stock to some is not stock to others. With a pipe and a pc Racheal went 191 on my bike and she said it had more in it. Now what she can do and what I can do are not the same thing. She is fast me not so much. But the bike in my mind was stock. No mr12 or custom tune from Brocks, No bst rims with 350 dollar bearings. It was not lowered and didnt have a air shifter. Now all of that is stock to some and thats fine. But you know as well as I that all makes a difference in top speed on the big end. Back to what the OP asked doing 1 mile runs with bolt ons or highway runs his 01 zx12r will it pull as good or better than a zx14. Yes?
The problem with "STOCK" bikes and lsr event is people forget to to talk about 4 or 5 grand of extras that there stock bike had done to it. Some one reads that bike x went 200 and what ever and goes and talk some sh!t about how fast there new bike is and gets his ass handed to him. I like the 14 and 14r and 12r. But for top end stuff I dont see a 14 walking the OPs 12r if setup right. Expert. I mean Redsled.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Zero-186-zero is what we need to see.All against all,not just 12 vs 14.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts