Kawasaki World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i purchased this bike a while back... its been a struggle to get everything sorted on it... but now im getting close...

Problem is its got no air box or ram airs.... just open carbs....

It runs good... but it doesnt feel like its got proper fueling in the higher revs... is this just in. my heaD? Or is there some important air feul ratio compensators missing... whatever adjusts for the ram air effect?

Or can a zx9 run normal with out an airbox?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Better off fitting the ram air system like kawasaki intended, it starts working at about 40mph.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So one bowl isnt getting fuel... the float valve is good... cloggd up i guess...c gonna kleen her again...

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Being a carb'd bike, RAM air and airbox ain't that serious. If the pressure ain't there from the RAM effect into the float bowls to equalize, then it will just run less power, in stock trim anyways. Slap some open air filters on it, toss an exhaust and a stage 3 kit and ride her...you just won't have the additional few ponies up top is all.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Look for a used air box and stacks. I've worked on ZX11s and they ran like crap with the air box open, but fine with the cover back on.
If you cut an artificial hole in the airbox, it causes cavitation of the air filter, which in turn does the same for the air going into the venturi's and it will indeed run like shit. Even if you try to run it without a cover, it wilk do it. Not all the time, but 99% of the time you will notoce right away that the "cut a hole in the airbox for more flow" mod ain't no good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts