Kawasaki World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, pardon if this question has been asked previously, I'm working with little time to swing a deal. Some dumb bitch in a minivan hit me and my ZX9 and the rest is history. As has been pointed out to me recently at least I am alive to bitch about it. :x
Any specifics thoughts and experiences in migrating from the ZX9 to the 12? I talked to one of your members in south florida and it was all thumbs up. Most of my riding of late has been limited to Track days and Deals Gap, except for my latest venture onto the local boulevard. Arggh! :(
Would appreciate any comments from current 12 owners that previously owned ZX9. R1 etc.
TIA

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
I recently swapped bikes with a friend who had a 2002 ZX-9R.

After riding the 12 for a couple years I found the following:
- the ZX-9R was to cramped, I felt I was hanging over the windscreen all the time. This is most likely good for track days but not for me for street riding.
- I found the 9 to be quite light, however now that I am used to the planted feel of the 12, I actually found that when taking the corners on street roads that were not perfect I felt more confident with the planted feel of the 12. The 9 seemed to bounce all over the place and felt like a good wind would blow it off the road. :lol:
- The power of the 9 was nothing compared to the feel of the 12, I found I was switching gears much more on the 9 and had to keep the revs up to keep up with my 12 when he wasn't totally at home with it as far as full acceleration went.

In general for an all around street bike for acceleration and handling I thought the 12 was better for me. It is definitely more exciting to ride without a doubt.

I hope that helps,

Easyrider

G

·
0 Posts
I had a 98 zx9r at the same time as the 12 . The biggest problem was
deciding which one to take for a ride!
Personally I found the 9 more versitile than the 12,the 9 being more
of a "fun" bike than the 12, not saying that the 12 is not fun. You can't
beat a 12 for fun when the road opens up into 200kph sweepers!
I tended to use the 12 for longer distance rides(150km+) and the
9 for going for a "ride" with the boys.
The 9 is better for pillion work too if you do lots of that(thats what the
girlfriend tells me).
The 12 is more comfortable thats for sure,but if you're after comfort
you'd better look at a wang!
Both are fast bikes,with the 12 doing what the 9 can do with much less effort.
I prefered to wheelie the 9 due to the better/smoother throttle response-
just cover the rear brake! But thats another story!
Easy is right about the 9 on rougher roads with the 12 feeling more
planted,the 9 is" flighty".
I don't know if this has been any help or not? Just one mans opinion.
The 12 is the best bike I've owned, but I do miss the 9.

If you're not breakin' the law you're not riding!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
9 Vs. 12

Hi ya, I've only had my 12 for siz months now, but previously I had a '98 model 9. Compared to the nine, I found that the 12 tipped in quicker (Actually scared me to have a big bike tip in so easily.) The power difference is noticable, but not something you can learn. One advantage that Easy mentioned is that I have found the 12 very Stable through corners, and I can sit in top cog and ride through on the torque curve, whilst I'd be in 3rd or 4th on the nine using the power.

Overall, just try and get a test ride, You'll probably NEVER look back (except to see where the oposition is :lol: )

·
Registered
1 Posts
Depends on what kind of riding you prefer. For track days 9 is more suitable, with a little aspiration due to the weak midrange. 9 is light and very nice to drive everywhere, mine was a -01. Wheelies and all kind of fun stuff is just there when you want it. Niner is actually very good bike for making longer journeys, and loses out to none of the newer sport bikes what comes to the peak power. BUT. The king of the road is 12. There is noticeable increase in power trough the revrange and it really rocks the niner especially when going past 120mph. Wheelies and other fun stuff is equally easy as the niner, but it may feel a little more "scary" since the engine of the 12 is just so damn powerful. Accelerating from lights with full throttle is something you`ve never experienced. Nothing goes past you, not busa, not gsxr1000, not sportscar. 12 feels very planted and is really one of the best looking bikes ever built. There, I guess that tells a little of these two babies. If you`re looking for a 12, I strongly recommend the -02 model, since it has more torque than -00,-01 models. It also steers easily and is little "sportier" than the previous models, yet not loosing any of good qualities of older models. I own -02 model, and will not trade it until the newer 12 rolls out from the big K.

·
Registered
150 Posts
ZX9R v. ZX12R

:D They're both great bikes! The 12 is like a Supermodel, looks hot and is too, you've been dreamin' of this for years; the 9 is like the All-American girl next door, hotter than she looks and fun in a day-to-day way, lottsa grins. :wink:
ZX12eR

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks folks. It sounds like the 12 is the way to go. I am trying to line up a test ride with a guy that has 2001 with the Akro installed. I am still concerned about the weight. The 9 was too heavy for me the way it was. I went the Dymag and Ti route. Not to say I couldn't do the same for the 12 but that was an expensive venture. Some of you have commented that 2002 is a better model. In what respects? I think the rags said heavier flywheel or something. I was trading emails with 238mph last week and got directed to the Kaw website. Man that 2003 12 in the Electric Green is me!
Having to decide what bike to buy next is a real bitch :lol:
God forbid I've even toyed with the idea of a gsxr1000. Heck, Kawasaki and Suzuki are one big happy family now, right :?:

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Get the 12, unless you are short, then you may find that when sitting on the bike it is a long way to the ground. If that is the case the 12 may seem more heavy than you want. Or just use a step ladder and don't ever stop, either way it is a blast.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Try Lowering Links If You're Too Small

I'm only 5'9" and had no problems with the height of the 12 but noticed a big difference when I had my lowering links installed. The bike feels more stable between my legs since my feet are almost flat footed now. I also noticed less numbness in my hands and wrists. My shoulders start to feel it after about 2 hours or riding and I think that's where the heli bars would come in handy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts