Kawasaki World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's been tried and proven to up the hp and lower the lbs on this pig? Love the bike just lookin to keep the Gixxer and R1 freaks on their toes. I posted this question at www.cycleworld.com and got some good info. The best suggestion was to come to this site and ask the boyz that bleed green.
Pipes? Jet kits? Filters?
Low profile signals? Taillight integrator? Diff't chain and sprockets? Lighter rims?
Anything else?
I live in Rhody so I've got the whole winter to tinker.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Definitely replace the stock pipe, its heaavvyy. The stock headers are supposed to flow just fine, so you can do well with a slipon. And ignition advancer to crisp up throttle response (+4?). And a jet kit definitely can help. Ivan's kit is supposed to rock, and so is factory. My experience with the factory 1.7 kit has been less than positive so far, but I have hope! (a real bitch to tune.. ).

If I were to do it again for cost vs performance, I'd get an ivan's kit, my favorite slipon, and a +4 advancer and call it a day.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Try a full Akra system. That pipe, combined with a +2 Sprocket Specialties rear sprocket turned my 2001 into a new bike. I'm sure an Ivan's jet kit would help greatly. As far as undertails, try hotbodiesracing.com. They are very reasonably priced, and I am pleased with the quality and finish of mine. They also include the taillight integrator, which is a snap. Hope this helps. :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. I've definately narrowed the options to an Akro pipe (I'm still up in the air over a slip on vs full system), Ivans jet kit (I went on their website and found out they specially tune their kit to the Akro pipes), Muzzy advancer (again the website mentions a +4), possibly a K&N filter (although I may stick with stock) and some type of front end conversion with a rear end integrator (I'll have to look into the one you suggested.) Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yeah the Akro is the best exhaust no doubt. The stock header is good and makes pretty decent HP. My bike carburates so sweet with the Akro as compared to the stock header and slip-on.

I did struggle with the Factory 1.7 Race kit jetting at first. I finally got smart and kept going up on the mains until it ran correctly on the topend. Once you get that right you move to the midrange. There's a lot of info out there on jetting the 9R. You can get it dialed don't worry, regardless of the exhaust. A K & N will effect the main jet sizing as well.

Once I changed to a Akro full exhaust system the midrange smoothed out and the topend was awesome. It seems the tuning is less critical with the Akro vs the stock header. Changes to the mains and and needle jets were less significant on the Akro. One other thing I've noticed with the Akro there's no need to raise the needles for cooler weather. Runs great in all weather conditions. Yeah I'm big on the Akropovic, you get what you pay for.

The beast will run with any R-1 or 954 no sweat. 145HP to the ground, no flat spots above 11,000, romps to 12,500, about a 15HP improvement with the following:

Full Akropovic, K & N, Factory +4 Advancer, Factory 1.7RK Jet kit
Float H: 5 mm
Needle: 4th from top groove
Mains: 180 1&4 182 2&3
Air/fuel screws: 1 ½ turns out
Pilots: #38 stock

The bike runs awesome from 0' to 3000' elevation. I haven't been any higher, yet.

EAST

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Get a good jet kit, and a Akra or Muzzy pipe and go beat the shit out of some R1's and Hondas or get the 998 kit and make some Gix1Ks day a bad one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:) Just found out the mechanic at my shop rides ZX9R-01!!
He's going to make some changes on his ride as well. He agrees the Akra pipe is top shelf, jet kit is always a great idea and the advancer is really the only other add-on without some major engine teardowns. Let me know if I'm missin' somethin?
The removal of weight seems to be the biggest problem. So far, front end conversion kit and rear end integrator seem to be the cheapest.
Should be a good winter, if you can't ride it might as well tweak it a little.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Get a good jet kit, and a Akra or Muzzy pipe and go beat the shit out of some R1's and Hondas or get the 998 kit and make some Gix1Ks day a bad one.

You may stay with R1's and Fireblades but its gonna take more than that before you go and mess with the big gixxers, I know I own both bikes! Maybe say a big bore kit?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts