Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello riders ..

am wondering what the pros and cons are of these handle bar risers for the 2001 zx-9r .. ive ehard a lot about the helibars but has anyone some experience with using the oppracing bars and the convertibars on their 9r's ?

here are the links to the 3 handlebar riser optionsw e have for the 9r ..or are there any other options ??

never heard of these at all ..
http://www.oppracing.com/products.php?action=show_product&id=2301

have heard of these
http://www.convertibars.com/

and
everyone knows about these
www.helibars.com

·
Registered
44 Posts
risers

make that 6! here is another one.

http://www.zianet.com/genmar/

They only raise bars slightly and are not adjustable but are very cheap. But they don't make for your bike. I have them on my 99. they raise bar 5/8" (not the 7/8" listed on their web site.) for a 99, 1" is about as far as you could go without requiring fairing modification, which is something I would not want to do. Also at 1" the brake line should probably be replaced and clutch cable is stretched on full lock.
Bill

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the convertibars seem to be more appealing than helibars as far as adjustment and a higher rise and more rearward pullback ..

but the bars are still in the research/development stage to confirm fit on the 00+ 9r's ..

·
Registered
44 Posts
handlebar riser-use 2000 clip on on a 98-99

anyone done this? They are both 46mm tubes. the 98-99 has the tubes come through the top triple clamp and the clip-on mounts above the triple clamp on the section of fork tube that sticks up. The 2000 has the clip-on below the triple clamp (as there is no tube above clamp on this bike) but it has a lot of rise to it. on 98-99 the most you can rise is about an inch without having to modify the fairing stay and I think the 2000 clip-on would give you this. may be able to pick them up at salvage? I think I will try to find some cheap.
Bill

·
Registered
696 Posts
hammerash i sent you pics before of my 01 zx9 not sure if you can see but i have i think vortex clip-ons on it i put them on top of my triple tree i have my stock risers your bars should fit right into if you want them (free of course,pm me) any one needs to see my set up pm me an email i'll take good pics. asap...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2000 model 9 which I am hunting around for slightly gigher and closer bars for (Broken my wrists too many times falling off motobikes too often :oops: )

I checked out the Convertibars (yeah not avail yet I know), however the cables are an issue to me. I reckon once lowered the cables would be too compressed. I could be wrong, but they don't appeal so much.

I checked out the Genstar stuff, it looks too low rent!

The Helibars are OK, but not really my cup of tea. Can't tell you why just don't appeal. So I think unless someone else out there has a neat solution, I may ask a local machine shop to make up some for me. If I do, I will happily share the template. :)

·
Registered
696 Posts
can't be hard to make get some 7/8 bar a peice of 1/4in steel to off set them how ever you want and weld em up.. chrome dip or powdercoat should take an hour i'll take a look around my shop if i have the stuff maybe i'll hook u up
(i'll get back to you strika)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Well, if it helps at all, I've had good luck with Helibars. They come on and off easily, don't need long brake lines, and they're strong. I've trailered the bike a couple of times with a Canyon Dancer holding the bike up and no problems.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have the Heli bars on my 02, but wanted the bars more rearward, so I bit the bullet and orderd a set of the Spiegler bars and top clamp. I hope to have them next week in time for my trip to GA/NC/TN.

·
Registered
203 Posts
M.Guenette

I know I have to trim my fairing and windscreen, but to what extent I don't know. Spiegler wasn't very helpful. I've been eyeing these bars for some time, so last Winter I bought a used fairing just for trimming.

I originally ordered the bars from Street Fighters website back in July, and got a automated email relpy for the order, after three weeks, no parts. I tried emailing Street Fighters and calling their number, but all I got was a answering machine with a full inbox.

I canceled that order and reordered from Atlanta Cycle Sales. I wanted black colored bars, but they were back ordered for a couple of weeks. Atlanta Cycle Sales was good about keeping me informed about the progress. When I told them of my upcoming trip, they agreed to Fed-Ex overnight the parts so I would have them in time. No extra charge.

The parts left Atlanta this afternoon for PA, and hopefully I will have them Monday to install for my trip leaving Tuesday.

I think 6 days in TN/NC/GA should give me a good idea if I like them :lol:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
as for the convertibars, i think they are a great idea but on my '01 ZX-9R, i think the fairing support bars would limit the RAISE u cant get from them .. i dont think trimming the fairing if necessary or longer lines would be as much as an issue compared to the front fairing support bars limiting the raise/pullback ..

in stock mode, u have about a 2 inch clearance between the handlebar (inc. switch housing) and the fairing support bars .. i know the convertibars can allow upto 5 or even 6 inches raise but on the zx-9r, wouldlnt the fairing support crossmember design limit the max. raise ?? im not sure just a thought ..

if anyone gets the covertibars, please keep us posted how much maximum raise and pullback the convertibars will allow ... :D

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
IndianRider said:
as for the convertibars, i think they are a great idea but on my '01 ZX-9R, i think the fairing support bars would limit the RAISE u cant get from them .. i dont think trimming the fairing if necessary or longer lines would be as much as an issue compared to the front fairing support bars limiting the raise/pullback ..

in stock mode, u have about a 2 inch clearance between the handlebar (inc. switch housing) and the fairing support bars .. i know the convertibars can allow upto 5 or even 6 inches raise but on the zx-9r, wouldlnt the fairing support crossmember design limit the max. raise ?? im not sure just a thought ..

if anyone gets the covertibars, please keep us posted how much maximum raise and pullback the convertibars will allow ... :D
If the fairing support IS a limiting factor, then note that I've heard the '02 or '03 fairing support will bolt right up to the '01. I haven't seen it myself so do some more research before buying, but supposedly it will bolt right up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oh ..

i dint know that the '02 - '03 fairing support framework is different that the 00-01 .. :shock:

is the fairing support framework more of a Y design ( allowing more bar rise) compared to the H design on the 00-01 ? :?:

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
IndianRider said:
oh ..

i dint know that the '02 - '03 fairing support framework is different that the 00-01 .. :shock:

is the fairing support framework more of a Y design ( allowing more bar rise) compared to the H design on the 00-01 ? :?:
Yep.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts