change headlight bulb - Kawasaki Forum :: KawasakiWorld.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 05-21-2013, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

change headlight bulb

Hi,
I just got this bike a couple of weeks ago. I'm trying to figure out how to change the bulb - it's not straight forward as far as I can tell. Anyone done this and want to share how to do it?
I bought a Sylvania 9003/H4 silverstar ultra - will this fit? I think that's what this bike requires and/or can handle??
Thanks all and I look forward to participating in this forum!!
cheers!
Pierce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-21-2013, 08:35 AM

Hi Pierce, I have to assume that you're talking about your headlight. In that case you have to remove the top inner panel and then also the plastic dashboard panel behind the screen to access the bulb. Go easy on that last panel and wiggle it and carefully bend it to remove it and again to install it. As far as the bulb itself, if you don't have the repair or owner manual take the old one to Canadian Tire or any Auto Parts store to match it.

Cheers

Jorge
post #3 of 11 Old 05-21-2013, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Hi Jorge - thanks for that info! Yes I am talking about the headlight. I tried to remove the inner panel that goes around the instrument cluster - I took the 4 screws out but wasn't able to actually take the piece off. I'm not sure what you mean by the other piece you mention?
cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-21-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetleaf View Post
Hi Jorge - thanks for that info! Yes I am talking about the headlight. I tried to remove the inner panel that goes around the instrument cluster - I took the 4 screws out but wasn't able to actually take the piece off. I'm not sure what you mean by the other piece you mention?
cheers!
That happened to me too. There's another screw to remove which is the screen center screw that also holds the dashboard panel!!!!!!!!! (5 not 4). I thought that it might be easier for you if you also removed the top panel that goes around the fuel tank (one piece). For your info I'm not at home in Toronto right now but in Uruguay, South America
where I was born. I'll be back in a couple of months.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-21-2013, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Are you saying to remove the screw on the outside of the fairing holding the wind screen on - the one in the middle?
Hope you are having a nice time in Uruguay!
post #6 of 11 Old 05-21-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetleaf View Post
Are you saying to remove the screw on the outside of the fairing holding the wind screen on - the one in the middle?
Hope you are having a nice time in Uruguay!
That's the one. Well I'll try, winter is coming to these latitudes. If you open my profile there's a picture of my bike that I miss so much. Enjoy the spring.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-23-2013, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Well it's more complicated - I had to take the screen off, the plastic molding around the instrument cluster, the instrument cluster and then I was barely able to extract the bulb. I think to put it back in it will be even more difficult as it's easier to pull things out of tight spaces than it is putting them back in... I'll probably have to remove the structural support that in part holds the windscreen fairing in place especially where the mirrors attach and then remove it close to the fork headset!
Jeez you think they could have designed this to be a little more accessible.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-23-2013, 11:00 AM

Engineers never take into account maintenance or repair when they design a bike or car because they figure that in general most bikes at least in North America or Europe will not need dis-assembly in quite some time. Full fairing bikes are very compact as compared to naked. Try not to take apart any more that it's absolutely necessary so that you'll spend less time putting everything back together. For instance, the windshield and all the rest you don't need to take apart even if it's a touch more difficult to reach the dammed bulb. If you're planning to do basic maintenance, buy a Clymer or Haynes Shop Manual which are $20 something and show you the right sequence and procedure for every job; they are worth it. Always use the right tool for the job and if you don't have it you can borrow from a friend because otherwise you'll ruin nuts, bolts and components. Keep it cool.

Jorge
post #9 of 11 Old 05-31-2013, 03:19 AM

Agreed, it is extremely fiddly & compounded by the fact you cannot touch the bulb itself. You can do it by removing the little panel under the headlight, but it's tight going for a bloke's hands and a lot less stressful stripping a few more pieces out as mentioned above.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-08-2019, 12:10 PM

this is what it looks like
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 99DA732A-DBDA-48AB-A095-15BB5A93DF93_1557346187898.jpeg (1.10 MB, 5 views)
post #11 of 11 Old 05-08-2019, 01:16 PM

looks like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D1A7EF85-B3BA-4286-964B-D7523B6DE5E8_1557350142095.jpeg (1.10 MB, 3 views)

Kawasaki Forum :: KawasakiWorld.com > Kawasaki Motorcycles > ZX-11

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Forum :: KawasakiWorld.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode