Ok, I actually have two days off starting tomorrow, so I'm going to try and get some work done. I am going to start with lightening the subframe. I have a spare one with a couple of bent tabs, so I am going to go to work on that one. I started on the project after work today.
Weight, in stock form:
I am making my goal weight for the subframe 5.5 lbs. Believe me, that won't be easy....perhaps not even possible while maintaining structural integrity.
Air powered cut wheel and safety glasses. I am not quite sure what the best tool for this job is, but this is what I had handy:
Cutting the rear supports off:
Rough cut done:
I also removed a couple of bolts that were not needed.
Weight so far:
Only .5 lb so far! I still have a lot more to do, and I need to find some better tools for the job. That particular cut wheel did not work well.
I did use this as an excuse to buy a new Dremel tool (my old one has a shot bearing in it from years of abuse). I got the mid-priced corded model; no reason to break the bank. I also got the accessory pack for $30...this pack has a ton of cutting and sanding tools and saves you a ton of money:
Anyway, I will be back at it tomorrow. I might get a little radical experimenting on this one, since I have the still have the original one from the bike as well. I can always hack this one up, and do a cleaner job on the other one.