Yes.... I agree with Doug. Not needed. Read: Not Necessary.
Doug is giving the same advice I would. It's not necessary. Operative word "necessary".
Here is where I stand on this subject:
1) If you are spending the major bucks a pipe costs, spend the $60.00 or so to wrap the header. The whole front of the bike, including the ram air is going to stay much cooler.
Want proof? Go to any AMA circuit race and find me one bike that doesn't have the header wrapped.
2) The thermal efficiency/scavenging of the motor is improved to a point to make the cost comparable to other performance add-ons. See: www.thermotec.com/tt/flex.html
, they explain it well.
3) Do my Kleen-Air removal procedure. No HP to speak of, but NO backfire either.
4) PCIIIR is your friend. Buy one. They're worth their weight in gold.
5) Akrapovic is my mind an excellent product. I am a stickler for perfection and the bends and welds on these pipes are nothing short of art.
Thats all I have to say about that.