Got a tire puncture with three plugs in rear tire. Need some advice - Page 2 - Kawasaki Forum :: KawasakiWorld.com
 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 33 Old 01-26-2018, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
MattKoller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZX12R View Post
Shinko...
seriously? ive heard Shinkos compared to everything from raw hamburger meat to vaseline in terms of traction and slipperiness. trash, garbage, you will die if you look at em wrong etc etc. I was seriously considering them before because of my riding style (no knee down stuff) however they have the 009 Raven, the 010 Verge the 011 Verge X2 the 005 etc all super cheap. a cheap Shinko or equivalent would be temporary. that being said are Shinkos actually not that bad? are they not comparable to riding with tires made of gogurt and play-doh?

apologies for the raw meat and vaseline reference lol

2002 Candy Thunder blue over gold.
13k miles with just a Corbin seat, Puig Windscreen.
2001 Honda CBR 929RR(stolen), 2000 GSXR 600(sold), 96 Z28 daily driver(sue me)
MattKoller is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 33 Old 01-26-2018, 07:20 AM
Senior Member
 
JayZX12R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NY - LI
Posts: 1,241
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to JayZX12R
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKoller View Post
seriously? ive heard Shinkos compared to everything from raw hamburger meat to vaseline in terms of traction and slipperiness. trash, garbage, you will die if you look at em wrong etc etc. I was seriously considering them before because of my riding style (no knee down stuff) however they have the 009 Raven, the 010 Verge the 011 Verge X2 the 005 etc all super cheap. a cheap Shinko or equivalent would be temporary. that being said are Shinkos actually not that bad? are they not comparable to riding with tires made of gogurt and play-doh?

apologies for the raw meat and vaseline reference lol
They are not bad, and are used in the drag strip crowd. They are not the best in knee dragging corners, but my personal believe is your knee should only be dragging on a track. Since I do not track my 12, Shinkos are what I use. I am on my second set and never lose traction even under hard acceleration.

The bad reviews you will hear, are from people who push their bike to the level where they need super sticky compounds. If you push your bike, then get the tire you need, if you ride around safely on the street only occasionally going 100+ mph, Shinkos are all you need.

I am happy, and my next set will be Shinkos again. I use the 009 Raven. I also use a 190 rear. I have heard from others who say Shinkos do not have the right tire angle for knee dragging, I never go that far to the edge of my tires.

2005 ZX12R - Sold
2009 Honda VTX 1300R
JayZX12R is offline  
post #18 of 33 Old 01-26-2018, 09:29 AM
Senior Member
 
jhinderliter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: central il
Posts: 2,836
Wouldnít run em on my lawnmower ...
GILBY likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my12r View Post
He wishes he woulda thought of the green LED's first. He wishes he had balls big enough to ride without a helmet.
jhinderliter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19 of 33 Old 01-26-2018, 09:38 AM
Senior Member
 
JayZX12R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NY - LI
Posts: 1,241
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to JayZX12R
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhinderliter View Post
Wouldnít run em on my lawnmower ...
What problems did you have when you ran them?

2005 ZX12R - Sold
2009 Honda VTX 1300R
JayZX12R is offline  
post #20 of 33 Old 01-26-2018, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
MattKoller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 49
wow. question tho

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZX12R View Post
They are not bad, and are used in the drag strip crowd. They are not the best in knee dragging corners, but my personal believe is your knee should only be dragging on a track. Since I do not track my 12, Shinkos are what I use. I am on my second set and never lose traction even under hard acceleration.

The bad reviews you will hear, are from people who push their bike to the level where they need super sticky compounds. If you push your bike, then get the tire you need, if you ride around safely on the street only occasionally going 100+ mph, Shinkos are all you need.

I am happy, and my next set will be Shinkos again. I use the 009 Raven. I also use a 190 rear. I have heard from others who say Shinkos do not have the right tire angle for knee dragging, I never go that far to the edge of my tires.
yea thats what i have been thinking all along. I had a 929RR Fireblade and that was for dragging knee and elbow over red and white parts of a track which isnt what a 12R is meant to do anyway.

do you have or heard any opinions on the rest of the shinko line up? I am mostly worried about center tire wear being a drag racer. anyways, I was looking at pure value which is why i almost bought the 009 but you say it has a not so round profile. theres the 010 the 012 verge 005 Shinko etc etc they are all available in the 200 50 or 55 series which i might do because of the prices are so low less than 110 bucks.
But i found a Bridgestone Battlax S20 Hypersport 200/50 for a $140 off Amazon which I assume will help my bike not be so heavy in the front. Its sluggish and the nose feels very heavy. bike doesnt want to lean over at all. I am assuming the Bridgestone will be nice and happy with my Metzeler M5 front tire and wont make the bike feel stranger than it is, hence why i feel like i should go for a Pirelli Diablo or the Bridgestone. OR IM just a dumbass who cant setup his bike correctly.....

anyways thanks again for the first real response on Shinkos. Only thing is why did you go with the Raven for the back and not another shinko model like the 010, 005 and what tire you runnin up front if you dont mind me asking all this shyte. Oh and why the 190 rear and not a 200-55 rear like I am trying to find..I assume it helps these big ass bikes turn?

thanks man

2002 Candy Thunder blue over gold.
13k miles with just a Corbin seat, Puig Windscreen.
2001 Honda CBR 929RR(stolen), 2000 GSXR 600(sold), 96 Z28 daily driver(sue me)

Last edited by MattKoller; 01-26-2018 at 10:01 AM. Reason: because im a newb ok
MattKoller is offline  
post #21 of 33 Old 01-26-2018, 10:03 AM
Senior Member
 
JayZX12R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NY - LI
Posts: 1,241
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to JayZX12R
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKoller View Post
yea thats what i have been thinking all along. I had a 929RR Fireblade and that was for dragging knee and elbow over red and white parts of a track which isnt what a 12R is meant to do anyway.

do you have or heard any opinions on the rest of the shinko line up? I am mostly worried about center tire wear being a drag racer. anyways, I was looking at pure value which is why i almost bought the 009 but you say it has a not so round profile. theres the 010 the 012 verge 005 Shinko etc etc they are all available in the 200 50 or 55 series which i might do because of the prices are so low less than 110 bucks.
But i found a Bridgestone Battlax S20 Hypersport 200/50 for a $140 off Amazon which I assume will help my bike not be so heavy in the front. Its sluggish and the nose feels very heavy. bike doesnt want to lean over at all. I am assuming the Bridgestone will be nice and happy with my Metzeler M5 front tire and wont make the bike feel stranger than it is, hence why i feel like i should go for a Pirelli Diablo or the Bridgestone.

anyways thanks again for the first real response on Shinkos. Only thing is why did you go with the Raven for the back and not another shinko model like the 010, 005 and what tire you runnin up front if you dont mind me asking all this shyte. Oh and why the 190 rear and not a 200-55 rear like I am trying to find..I assume it helps these killer whale bikes turn?

thanks man
I try to run matching sets of tires, I am running the same up front. 190 because I don't really need a 200, there are more available, and also most of my local dealers (I buy them at my local Kawi shop) do not stock 200's as most bikes come with 190s or smaller.

I would have to pay a fee to have outside tires installed, so it works out to more (I guess I could have them order a 200 for me).

I did notice when I dropped from the 200 to a 190 it was easier to turn, but to be honest the 200 was my first tire on this bike, so it could be the wear that was making it hard to turn.

2005 ZX12R - Sold
2009 Honda VTX 1300R
JayZX12R is offline  
post #22 of 33 Old 01-26-2018, 12:09 PM
Senior Member
 
jhinderliter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: central il
Posts: 2,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZX12R View Post
What problems did you have when you ran them?

Never have... my experience with them is watching my buddies mount them trying to save a buck and regretting it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by my12r View Post
He wishes he woulda thought of the green LED's first. He wishes he had balls big enough to ride without a helmet.
jhinderliter is offline  
post #23 of 33 Old 01-26-2018, 12:11 PM
Senior Member
 
JayZX12R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NY - LI
Posts: 1,241
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to JayZX12R
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhinderliter View Post
Never have... my experience with them is watching my buddies mount them trying to save a buck and regretting it..
What kind of riding did they do? What problems did they have?

Thanks

2005 ZX12R - Sold
2009 Honda VTX 1300R
JayZX12R is offline  
post #24 of 33 Old 01-26-2018, 12:18 PM
Senior Member
 
jhinderliter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: central il
Posts: 2,836
We ride em like sport bikes...

Guys had vibes , lack of feel for the road and they seem to wear faster , which makes you buy more tires sooner...

The drag bike guys run them because they just fry em off anyway and they are cheap...

I donít buy cheap tires , itís the only thing between me and the road ..

My .02

Quote:
Originally Posted by my12r View Post
He wishes he woulda thought of the green LED's first. He wishes he had balls big enough to ride without a helmet.
jhinderliter is offline  
post #25 of 33 Old 01-26-2018, 07:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Redford, Mi.
Posts: 47
i have a 2001 with 92,000 miles on it. i use dunlop roadsmart tires. im a casual/cruiser type of rider. im still on the factory clutch...that's how casual i take it. I do ride in the rain on purpose so i wanted a tire for great wet weather traction. i get great mileage out of a set...https://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tub...56277?m=149463
Kwdan is offline  
post #26 of 33 Old 01-27-2018, 05:22 AM
Senior Member
 
2wheelObsessed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,040
I used Road Smarts long time ago on a 94 VFR. On that bike they were fantastic rubber. I feel the same about Shinko I think they are total crap. Slippery with no feel, but I do ride my 12 like it was meant to be an maybe if your just cruising around a city they work fine. Your rubber is all thatís keeping your ass off the pavement, we all have our own preferences of brand/size but overall I think tires are an absolute terrible area to go cheap. Save elsewhere an put a decent set of rubber on front and back. Your riding a ZX12R a serious machine not some 40hp CBR300. Be smart about it.

4-Wheels Moves Your Body
2-Wheels Moves Your Soul
"Too Much Horse-Power!" said no one, ever...
Straight lines are for fast bikes, corners are for fast riders...
2wheelObsessed is offline  
post #27 of 33 Old 01-27-2018, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
MattKoller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelObsessed View Post
I used Road Smarts long time ago on a 94 VFR. On that bike they were fantastic rubber. I feel the same about Shinko I think they are total crap. Slippery with no feel, but I do ride my 12 like it was meant to be an maybe if your just cruising around a city they work fine. Your rubber is all thatís keeping your ass off the pavement, we all have our own preferences of brand/size but overall I think tires are an absolute terrible area to go cheap. Save elsewhere an put a decent set of rubber on front and back. Your riding a ZX12R a serious machine not some 40hp CBR300. Be smart about it.
Im not going to cheap out on tires. Bridgestone Battlax S20 Hypersport 200-50 is what im going to run on the rear. OR it will be a Pirelli Diablo 2 or 3 200 55 or 200 50. I agree totally on the tires. Its just deciding on Brand and Compound. Summers here are HOT roads are terrible and so are other drivers. Picture riding year round in Seattle. thats my challenge. I ride VERY easy FOR NOW until im at a racetrack or a 5 am sunday morning mountain road or freeway...

2002 Candy Thunder blue over gold.
13k miles with just a Corbin seat, Puig Windscreen.
2001 Honda CBR 929RR(stolen), 2000 GSXR 600(sold), 96 Z28 daily driver(sue me)
MattKoller is offline  
post #28 of 33 Old 01-29-2018, 05:49 AM
Senior Member
 
JayZX12R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NY - LI
Posts: 1,241
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to JayZX12R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelObsessed View Post
I used Road Smarts long time ago on a 94 VFR. On that bike they were fantastic rubber. I feel the same about Shinko I think they are total crap. Slippery with no feel, but I do ride my 12 like it was meant to be an maybe if your just cruising around a city they work fine. Your rubber is all thatís keeping your ass off the pavement, we all have our own preferences of brand/size but overall I think tires are an absolute terrible area to go cheap. Save elsewhere an put a decent set of rubber on front and back. Your riding a ZX12R a serious machine not some 40hp CBR300. Be smart about it.
We all have differences in opinions. Just like I think that driving any harder than a Shinko is rated for on the roads is a danger to others and yourself. I can get a Porsche and run <100 mph rated tires, because I wont be going >100 mph. I don't do wheelies, I don't track it, and at most, I go 80-90 mph. A $2k set of tires will be just as effective as a $300 set of tires in these conditions, except will wear out faster, and empty my wallet faster.

I do a 1,500 mile ride every year, if I got more expensive softer compound tires, I would be replacing them annually. I got tired of that, so I looked for tires that last longer and fit my riding style, Shinko's fit the bill.

I am willing to bet, most people with 12's do not ride it hard enough to necessitate anything more than a Shinko will provide. Not saying you don't or anyone else specifically, just majority of 12 owners.

2005 ZX12R - Sold
2009 Honda VTX 1300R
JayZX12R is offline  
post #29 of 33 Old 01-29-2018, 10:46 AM
Senior Member
 
dastardly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: australia
Posts: 1,021
I get what your saying about riding within the limits of the tyre you run, but the difference between a tyre you have no confidence in and one you completely trust is worth the dollars, I cant see myself outriding the ability or performance of any modern sport tyre I just don't push it hard enough and haven't for a year or more but I sure like the feel of a nice set of tyres on the road the grip they give the predictable slip not all grip then nothing, Im no gun rider pushing everything to the wall, another set that last very well and feel great are Michelin pilot road 4 great longevity and wet weather riding thats enough waffling for now later Guys Craig

if anything goes wrong check the battery
no longer a rider but still an enthusiast
dastardly is offline  
post #30 of 33 Old 01-29-2018, 11:38 AM
Senior Member
 
OutsiderZX12R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Ahead of the FUGLY BUGLIES
Posts: 18,594
Send a message via Yahoo to OutsiderZX12R
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZX12R View Post
They are not bad, and are used in the drag strip crowd. They are not the best in knee dragging corners, but my personal believe is your knee should only be dragging on a track. Since I do not track my 12, Shinkos are what I use. I am on my second set and never lose traction even under hard acceleration.

The bad reviews you will hear, are from people who push their bike to the level where they need super sticky compounds. If you push your bike, then get the tire you need, if you ride around safely on the street only occasionally going 100+ mph, Shinkos are all you need.

I am happy, and my next set will be Shinkos again. I use the 009 Raven. I also use a 190 rear. I have heard from others who say Shinkos do not have the right tire angle for knee dragging, I never go that far to the edge of my tires.
I have Shinko 003's (Hookup on the back) on my 12 and I have no issues at all. I want it to hook when I twist the throttle and it does. I'm also not riding my 12 like I am Jonathan Rea going after the WSBK championship.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I hate stupid people.
OutsiderZX12R is offline  
Reply

  Kawasaki Forum :: KawasakiWorld.com > Kawasaki Motorcycles > ZX-12R

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Forum :: KawasakiWorld.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear tire size, 190 VS 200 yuta ZX-12R 19 07-24-2016 09:03 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome