Ran out of gas, fresh gas in.. ZX9R no longer starts
This is a ZX9R B2 that I just recently acquired
I was just warming up the engine, as I`ve been doing for the past three weeks daily or so I tried.
That`s because I got a left wrist injury.. so I can`t ride it for the time being until I fully recover and therefore I had no easy way to get some more fresh gas to it.
I mis-calculated the amount of gas remaining in reserve, so it ran out of gas prior to what I expected.
I was forced to get a fresh gallon and pour it in the tank but it didn`t want to start though.
Since I didn`t know the bike`s maintenance history (it`s a 31k mile bike so probably not that much of service records) I took that opportunity to refresh the main components to keep it running good and smooth so I disassembled the side fairings to check for small leaks, corroded grounds, pinched wires and hoses etc.
The tank came off of course and so did the airbox, carburetors, fuel delivery system, ignition coils and spark plugs.
- I Cleaned the carburetors, they were not badly dirty anyway so that was fast and easy, didn`t messed up with those that much.
- Fuel filter was replaced with a brand new OEM unit.
- Fuel hoses were also replaced to the correct spec and size.
- Spark plugs were just fine wire brushed cleaned and gaped correctly, they seem recently replaced but not gap to spec.
- Spark plug cables and ignition coils were cleaned and reinstalled.
- Electrical components such as the big white connector was inspected but left untouched. I was afraid to break it`s plastic ´clips´ or worse ....ask me how I know (MR2 brittle plastics)
- All airbox components were cleaned and the air filter was replaced with a brand new one.
So I lost nothing and I didn`t break a thing... It took some time, about a week or so a few hours at night but When everything was put back together it still didn`t want to start.
... The battery voltage reads close to 12.20V , it drops to 11.85V when I hit the start button, the starter kicks in and cranks the engine, everything sounds fine but it won`t fire up.
I then tried to jump start with the old Isuzu Trooper`s help (taking all precautions) and the peak voltage read out on the bike`s battery was just up to 12.55V after an hour of charge... it didn`t make a difference on the starting attempt.
I then inspected the fuse box, all fuses, close wires to it and the starter relay, fuse and connectors.
I haven`t taken the tank off again but I was able to confirm from the side that the fuel filter has gasoline in it, I haven`t check the pump though.
I haven`t done much since then, I`ve been just reading all Threads related to starting issues across all forums I can find but they all vary and differ from this particular case.
I did tried the clutch switch and the neutral position check. I also jumped on the bike with the clutch lever in and the rest stand up. Nothing.
Last night just for the sake of boredom and frustration I geared all up: Helmet on, jacket and gloves.. I sat in the bike and I pressed the start button hoping for nothing -It fired up!! ..but then it died just right after, but the engine ran for about 5 seconds at least, not smoothly though.
What can this be?
Last edited by MGustavino; 02-26-2019 at 08:30 AM.