Kawasaki World banner

281 - 290 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Got it sorted... Relay decided to go south at the same time I replaced everything ...
Will post pics of the jumper mod I did to get me by til the new relay shows up...

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
After a week of pulling my hair out the 12 is sorted...

Turns out the first rectifier i got was bad... I called one of the techs
at ricks and we trouble shot it together..

Went ahead and bought another one from them directly and upgraded to the hot shot rectifier which runs considerably cooler than the OE replacement..

Word to the wise, Ricks guys told me that they dont have any authorized resellers on ebay..

Best of going to ricks electrics and buying from them direct..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Needing some help

I have 2002 ZX12R with about 30,000 on it. Ived changed the stator three times and rec/reg twice. My stator keeps burning up. I noticed my oil light stays on for a while then cuts off, same as the last time I changed everything out. The tech stated that it may not be getting enough oil to keep it from burning up. And it burns up in the exact same location. Is the oil light for pressure or for oil level?

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I have 2002 ZX12R with about 30,000 on it. Ived changed the stator three times and rec/reg twice. My stator keeps burning up. I noticed my oil light stays on for a while then cuts off, same as the last time I changed everything out. The tech stated that it may not be getting enough oil to keep it from burning up. And it burns up in the exact same location. Is the oil light for pressure or for oil level?
Stator keeps burning up @ ZX12R ZONE.com

·
Registered
32 Posts
i did the stator fix 2 years ago from this guide and ive never had a probs ever since. so maximum kudos!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
It's not an "oil" light.

It stands for Owner Ignorius Logicus. Latin for if your oil light comes on you should not own mechanical equipment.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well it's 2019, and I just found this problem. 2002 Mystic Black - 8500 miles. Gutted.

I think I've caught it before any damage has been caused although I'm just about to test the regulator/rectifier.

I'll ring Kawasaki Bristol (UK) tomorrow on the off chance they feel like fixing it lol.

So for people who are viewing this in the year 2050 and beyond I will try to shortcut all the reading for you -

I can see Teds fix here - https://www.kawasakiworld.com/zx-12r/413-attention-please-read-electrical-failure-oil-13.html#post8334 - although to me that still means oil will be coming out of the engine and dumping somewhere behind the fairing.
I can see the connector mod in this thread - https://www.kawasakiworld.com/zx-12r/413-attention-please-read-electrical-failure-oil-17.html#post569167 - but I'm not having trouble with it

The engine must be getting pressurised I imagine, to force the oil up the cable. It can't just be wicking it's way up because the plug under the seat causes a break.

I will post back what I end up doing to resolve it. I might just go buy a BMW though ... jokes

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fellas,
The root cause of 90% of these electrical problems on the A-1's and 2's is the stator harness connector. Much talk about this back in '00 and '02 On bikeland.org Probably all still there. Do a search.

281 - 290 of 290 Posts