Kawasaki World banner
1821 - 1831 of 1831 Posts

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Reminds me of the service I'll have to get to later this year too.
I've usually found the 12 seems to keep fairly well in spec with the valve clearances over many miles/kms.
Will find out in a few months.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Another thought on my next service;

I haven't ridden the bike for a few months now due to surgery, and not likely to till the end of the year at the earliest.
I have the bike on a trickle charger, and have been starting it every couple of weeks, until the last month or so when it refuses to start up. It turns over but does not "catch" and spark up to start. It certainly fills up with fuel as I can see it pumping out the exhaust as it's trying to start, with the occasional pop/bang as it sparks once.

I'm not looking forward to checking out the stator and electrical system again, as this bike, my second A1, that I got in '09 at 17,000kms, has gone through 3 stator rebuild/renewals! It just seems to eat them up! My first A1 had done over 94,000 kms and only had the oil wicking up to the reg/rec connector. Those of you who have been on here long enough will know the posts I've done over the years to the sticky threads on the stator issue etc. Seems like I've just got a special one with this A1! I've learnt a lot about the electrical system on the 12 over the years due to these problems, and promptly forgotten most of it, Ha! (consumption of a few brown frothy sherbets may have helped...)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I have an Optimate 3 which I used to leave plugged in, but I don't think it does the battery any good long term, so went for the optimate 4 which charges, monitors, and occasionally puts a load on the battery to help keep it in a good condition, and I'm happy to leave that one plugged in all the time.

Went for a quick ride over to Squire cafe to check the bike out, at about 85mph the engine feels so smooth it's like having the clutch pulled in and coasting along.
It sounds different too, but I don't know if all that was down to it being a windy day. It will pull away from junctions without any throttle now, and tics over nicely at 1k and will tic over down to 600rpm before stalling out.
Then again it could all be just in my head, I'll have to get out and do more miles on it to be sure.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Ninjayorkie, that's interesting about the Optimate 3 charger.

I know what you mean with the bike running so smoothly after a good service & tuning, even if it is all in the head it's still great! These bikes are still capable of giving the grin factor even after so many years.

·
Registered
231 Posts
After a D. and move I dug thru the crates to find my 12r motor and start re-assembly. What is the tightening torque for a set of Ape head studs? - you would think it would be on their website;)

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
CS1200K CYLINDER STUD INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
1. Long threaded end must be installed in the case.
2. Note stock stud location before removing. There may be several different stud lengths.
3. After removal of stock studs (removal tool #SP-100 available from APE) thoroughly clean holes with solvent and blow out.
4. Use two 7/16 nuts on the short end thread. Dip long thread in oil and install in the case. Torque to 12-15 ft. lbs. maximum.
5. Using APE head nuts, torque to 70 lbs..

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Last Sunday I got 171.3 miles before the last fuel segment started to flash, steady 60/85 mph. A convenient Shell Station appeared 3.5 miles later. only put it 17.1 litres absolutely brimming it. So I reckon I could have gone over 190 miles easy, but without carrying my 2-litre fuel bottle I did not want to get stranded at the side of the dual carriageway. Wish I had been carrying it so I could beat my last record of 182 miles before filling up.

·
Registered
18,716 Posts
Last Sunday I got 171.3 miles before the last fuel segment started to flash, steady 60/85 mph. A convenient Shell Station appeared 3.5 miles later. only put it 17.1 litres absolutely brimming it. So I reckon I could have gone over 190 miles easy, but without carrying my 2-litre fuel bottle I did not want to get stranded at the side of the dual carriageway. Wish I had been carrying it so I could beat my last record of 182 miles before filling up.
That has to be a ZX12R record.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1821 - 1831 of 1831 Posts